January 2016 Moms

10 month sleep regression

All right ladies. It's hit, the dreaded 10 month sleep regression. We had just gotten naps sorted (taking two 1.5-2 hour naps a day at the same time every day) and sleeping 12-13 hours at with 2 wake ups, when suddenly BAM! Sleep regression (or maybe a phase, but dang is this killer). So for 2 nights LOs sleep habits suddenly changed for the better. He went down with no fuss at 6:15 as usual, and just slept. He didn't budge until between 2-3, when he woke for a feed for 15 minutes (a freakin dream right?!) and was back down until 7-7:30. I thought my dreams were coming true and I was finally going to be able to sleep like a relatively normal person again. NOPE! After those 2 nights LO is fighting naps with a vengeance (15-20 minutes of talking/whining himself to sleep, for maybe 45 minutes-1 hour of nap) and waking like clockwork (seriously, you can set your watch by it) 45 minutes to an hour after I put him down for bed. He wakes up screaming. Now sometimes I can rock him for 5 minutes and he's back out like a light, no problem, but for the most part he just continues to cry and scream as soon as I put him back down in his crib even though he may have been dead asleep a minute before. I don't want to create a sleep crutch by nursing him at this time (I know the kid has a very full belly after having had dinner and nursed before bed) and CIO and controlled crying just seem to ramp it up more (I did controlled crying about a month ago to fix some bad habits and it worked with minimal fuss, and this is way more than minimal fuss). Any advice? Mama wants her sleep back (especially since hubby is deployed and I literally need to sleep because there is nobody to let me take a nap to stay functional through this, because nap time is when dishes/laundry/everything else gets done)! 

As a side note, we changed the order of bedtime a bit this week, do I need to switch back? We used to do dinner, bath, bed, but I inserted a little more wear out time after dinner as it was a struggle to get him to go down without a little extra wiggle time. Maybe I need to do the wear out time in his room where it's dark and quiet while I read a story (this child has no interest in sitting on my lap for a story except to tear pages out of the book, so generally I let him crawl around the room while I lie on the floor and read). 

Re: 10 month sleep regression

• I feel  like DS's entire life has been one long sleep regression.  ugh.  
    We had 4 wake-ups last night.  I'm not sure if it was just a really bad night or if the 10 months regression has started.
  • @nackie I think the answer is coffee... lots and lots of coffee... god save us both. Hopefully we both get some sleep soon! This can't last forever, right?
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter definitely had some kind of sleep thing going on this past week, up 2 times a night all week. she usually sleeps 12+ hours. lucky I know, but man this week was rough. I can't imagine how you girls function with this all the time! thankfully last night she was back to sleeping through and was up around her normal time.  I hope it gets better for you ladies soon!
  • I also have a LO who has never slept through the night. And we've also had a tough week. Could it be related to teething? I think ours is. I read that during the day they can be easily distracted from the pain but at night/nap time it's harder to get to sleep/stay asleep with the pain. Either way, I feel for you and hope it gets better soon!
  • Mine always sleeps worse for a couple of nights before a new tooth breaks through.  He's only slept through the night once though.  Usually hes up twice a night.
  • My LO is a week shy of 10 months and is definitely up more at night and earlier from naps due to teeth. He popped one a few days ago, and I can see one (maybe more?) getting ready to cut through on the top!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have 6 teeth already and no signs of new ones coming through at the moment... I did start his bed time 15 minutes earlier last night and he didn't wake up during that first transition. I think henmay have been getting over tired. I'll try the same again tonight and see if it works. Thanks ladies!
  • @Cricket99 if my little guy is even slightly overtired it's almost a guarantee he will wake up during that first transition! 
  • Ive been fonding with it getting dark earlier shes gettingtired earlier. Even though she used to go to bed at 7/730 I'm finding 6 shes getting tired. So they could be over tired! 
  • Ugh I think we are in it. My LO keeps refusing naps and screaming when he knows it's time to sleep. He's napped 20 minutes today. Night sleep has been worse for the past week as well. It doesn't help that he has a cold and is trying to crawl and keeps wanting to rock on all 4s in his crib. Hoping it passes quickly! It's always something, right?? 
  • Is my baby the only one who screams like he's being tortured when they are put down for a nap? We're going on like 3 weeks now of mostly horrible naps I'm loosing my mind haha 
  • nackie said:
    I feel  like DS's entire life has been one long sleep regression.  ugh.  
    We had 4 wake-ups last night.  I'm not sure if it was just a really bad night or if the 10 months regression has started.
    6 wake-ups over here between 1 am and 8 am, and it definitely wasn't the worst night we've had... I seriously don't know how to function anymore. There isn't enough coffee in the world for me at this point. 
  • kaym6 said:
    Is my baby the only one who screams like he's being tortured when they are put down for a nap? We're going on like 3 weeks now of mostly horrible naps I'm loosing my mind haha 
    Yes! She's been such a good napper until this past week. Nothing has changed for us at all, so it's gotta be a leap I'm thinking. I'm losing my mind too!
  • At least I'm not alone!! LO has slept through the night MAYBE 10 times in his lifetime so 1-2 wake ups per night is my normal. For the last 3+ weeks, it's 3-6x per night. CIO is an epic fail since he gets so worked up calming him is an even worse battle than before so I'm stumped. I keep telling myself it's a phase!