February 2017 Moms

UO & FFFC (11/17-18)

because the UO thread was never started yesterday, I thought we could just have a joint thread for both UO and FFFC today.

what's on your mind, folks? As always, not guaranteed to be flame free. 
First BFP: 12/16/13
EDD: 08/23/14
Baby BOY born: 08/29/14

Re: UO & FFFC (11/17-18)

• Loading the player...
  • It's sooooo easy to give up BFing. I did with DD. But I also feel that I wasn't prepared for any problems and just didn't know what I was doing. I didn't think that pumping hurt at all. I know a lot of ladies here say it did. And I used a nipple shield so my nipples didn't hurt either. So mine was more because of supply issues. But PLEASE don't beat yourself up over it. If you go into childbirth and the newborn phase with an open mind, things will go so much easier for you <3
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • homemake said:
    @Xstatic3333 I agree with @leslie1331 but just wanted to say never underestimate what you'll be able to handle once you have that baby. 
    This is so true. There's so much unknown with our first LOs that it's hard to wrap my mind around it all! Thanks guys, I definitely won't beat myself up about it either way. 
  • Definitely don't feel judged if you EFF! I bet about 50% of us will choose formula within the first week or so.... that's how it went with my last bump group. 
  • I know there's no shame in it, fed is best, right? But there is such a stigma, I feel, that BF is what you're supposed to do. I'm obviously not talking about those who can't, but for those who simply don't want to. I'm a FTM, and so I feel that I may get a lot of "just try it" "maybe you'll love it" etc. 

My UO: I don't enjoy online shopping. I much prefer the instant gratification of having the item in my hand once I pay for it. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Please please please don't ever fell guilty for choosing formula. With my first I couldn't even fathom BF I just found the whole thing overwhelming. But at the same time I felt so much guilt and shame for not trying.  This time I plan on trying (but only because I have a desire to try). If it doesn't work it's Ok!!
  • homemake said:
    @imalwaysme79 But... receiving packages is the best! 
    This is true too!

• homemake said:
    @imalwaysme79 But... receiving packages is the best! 
    This is true too!
    I love receiving the parcels but the disappointment of it not being right when its clothes & then the hassle of sending it back annoys me so +1 for the instant gratification
  • LOL @Spicyweiner (why did it put your name in quotation marks?), I'm sure someone will want to flame you for that or you'll make someone very angry!! I do agree that everyone should try. It's free and it's proven to be best for your baby. But I do know that there are people who are super uncomfortable with the idea and won't even consider it. I'm on the other end where I felt like a failure when it didn't work out. 
  • LOL @Spicyweiner (why did it put your name in quotation marks?), I'm sure someone will want to flame you for that or you'll make someone very angry!! I do agree that everyone should try. It's free and it's proven to be best for your baby. But I do know that there are people who are super uncomfortable with the idea and won't even consider it. I'm on the other end where I felt like a failure when it didn't work out. 
    See, I think that's different. 
    Nobody  should feel shame for it not working out. I mean, I don't think anyone should feel shame period, cus "you do you". I just don't get not even putting your boob in the kids mouth before saying never. 
  • Alright, I'll admit it. 
    I judge people who don't even TRY to breastfeed. 
    Like if you try it, even once, and hate it then hey at least you gave it a shot. But I can't wrap my head around not even trying to do what is medically recommended and free. Of course any medical or physical issues, past experiences etc  aren't included in this, but if you just don't want to bother trying I side eye that. 
    Also, while formula is a really great thing for those who CAN'T breastfeed, I think the saying "fed is best" is kinda silly. 
    I mean, my kid won't eat a damn vegetable but I can say that veggies are better for her than her diet of chicken nuggets. 
    ::puts on flame retardant suit::

We can each have our own opinions about BF vs FF, but these are the sort of judgments that I know I can expect when the time comes.  

Like if you try it, even once, and hate it then hey at least you gave it a shot. But I can't wrap my head around not even trying to do what is medically recommended and free. Of course any medical or physical issues, past experiences etc  aren't included in this, but if you just don't want to bother trying I side eye that. 
    Also, while formula is a really great thing for those who CAN'T breastfeed, I think the saying "fed is best" is kinda silly. 
    I mean, my kid won't eat a damn vegetable but I can say that veggies are better for her than her diet of chicken nuggets. 

We can each have our own opinions about BF vs FF, but these are the sort of judgments that I know I can expect when the time comes. 

Stuck in box 
    I'm just curious why you won't even try? 
    See, I think that's different. 
    Nobody  should feel shame for it not working out. I mean, I don't think anyone should feel shame period, cus "you do you". I just don't get not even putting your boob in the kids mouth before saying never. 
    Oh no I totally got what you were saying!! I just added my own feelings at the end!
  • Some pictures in the nursery thread make me curious what the whole house looks like.. And not in a good way.  :#
    Omg yes, I'm with you girl. LOL
    YES.
  • @yogadevil Thats amazing!! I'm glad your H will be home. Glad he's ignoring those other guys-- dude, he did his duty. Give him a break!
  • @yogadevil, that is GREAT news!! I'm so happy to hear that for you and your H!

I am glad you said this because I was thinking the same thing but didn't have the guts!  

For those that don't/didn't want to try breastfeeding at all - I'm curious why?  
  • I have a few reasons, some more personal than not. Overall though, I'm going back to work as soon as I'm cleared to do so (6 weeks) and the baby will be in daycare and taking multiple breaks at work to pump won't be convenient for my daily day to day tasks. Like I said, there are other reasons but these are the main ones. 

I'm sorry if none of you agree, I know that these will be the obstacles I face. 

• Doesn't bother me @imalwaysme79. You need to do what's best for you and your LO, and only you can say what that is. Even though I am going to be trying to BF, I totally get the worry about pumping at work. That's definitely one of my biggest concerns. 
  • @imalwaysme79 - You do what's best for you. It sounds like you already have a great attitude towards the flack you are going to receive.  
  • I really like that way of thinking about it, @NiceyMeany! I may try to reframe it in my head that way.
  • I'm excited for it too! Still have to figure out a location at work for when I go back, but otherwise I'm feeling great about the challenge. To me, the benefits far outweigh those of formula. And it's worth a shot even if it doesn't work out long term.