Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty time!

Hey fellow moms (and dads?), my baby girl has been excellent at going potty during the day, but there seems to be very little we can do to prevent nighttime accidents. As things stand, I'm still having her wear a diaper at night. Any ideas on how to help? I thought I could set the alarm for middle of the night, and wake her up to go potty. Any other ideas, though?

Re: Potty time!

• Options

I definitely wouldn't wake her in the night to go to the bathroom. Night time potty training is really hard and takes time. There's not much you can do if she's not ready physically to stay dry all night.

However, diapers might be confusing to her. Try underwear?

• Options
    It isn't unusual for kids who are trained during the day to not be nighttime trained for a couple of years. I would get her pull-ups and not stress about it, honestly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We always night time trained at the same time as potty training too.  I think it's easier/less confusing to them plus it's easier to break a habit when they're younger vs. older.  When we night trained what we did was push liquids during the day and around 4-5pm is when they got drinks only at the dinner table and discouraged it after dinner (of course if they asked for a drink we gave them one but it was a drink not a chug of the glass).  Also after dinner we'd really encourage them to go every hour vs. whenever they felt they needed to get all pee out.  They go to bed at 8pm.  For the first month or 2 (depending how long it took to night train) we'd wake them up before we'd go to bed @11pm and take them potty.  They always went and would fall right back to sleep.  This taught them that they should wake up dry and if they do have to go potty in the middle of the night that's okay too.  We always still had a monitor in their room so we'd also remind them if they needed to go they could call out & we'd take them.  It generally only took a month or 2 before we noticed we didn't have to take them at 11pm anymore and they'd just go to bed at 8pm and wake up @7am dry and go potty first thing.  We also had them wear underwear at night time and for the first 6 months we always put a diaper cover (we had CD) over their underwear in case they ever did have an accident it wasn't a mess you had to deal with it.  HTH
  • Options
    I wouldn't do pull ups, it's the same as using a diaper. My daughter was dry at night, before we even started any type of potty training. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't do pull ups, it's the same as using a diaper. My daughter was dry at night, before we even started any type of potty training. 
    You were lucky. Most kids aren't dry at night first. I didn't use pull ups during the day so pullups were simply nightime underwear just like pajamas are nightime clothes. Saved a lot of wet sheets
  • Options
    My son is almost 7 and he is potty trained during the day but night time is a struggle
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had 1 son that was daytime potty trained at 2.5 and dry at night at about 4 yo.  The other son was both day and night potty trained at about 2.5.  

The doctor wasn't worried about the 4 year old not being nighttime potty trained, she said he just wasn't developmentally ready and to not push it.  She wouldn't be concerned for another year or more.