July 2017 Moms

Gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole

lexyxolexyxo member
edited November 2016 in July 2017 Moms
Hey everyone, so based on my last period I'm approximately 6 weeks and 5 days, went in for my first ultrasound today, the ultrasound showed the gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole, my heart sank because I was expecting to see the baby. Should I be worried? The u/s tech said it could be too early to see anything, but that doesn't make me feel better 

Re: Gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole

• I'm in the same boat girl. Try to have positive thoughts. You could be way off of ovulation. If your doctors aren't too worried, just try to relax. Easier said then done, trust me, I know. 

The ladies here are super helpful and will listen to all the crazy things coming out of your mind. We're all here for you! 

For example, I could either be 6w or 7w1d. Complete difference and all I've seen is a gestational sac and a yolk sac. 
  • I bet you ovulated later than you thought.  do they have you booked for a second US as a follow up?  if your weren't charting or using opks then you can't really be sure when you ovulated.  try not to worry to much!  keep us posted!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Loading the player...
  • Based on my LMP I would be 8+2 but I know that I ovulated late and know when I conceived which puts me at 7+2.  U/S today confirmed that I am 7+2.  I say that to reassure you that ovulating late is totally normal and IMO Dating by LMP just causes a ton of stress.  Sendin T&P that you are in the same boat
  • This is exactly what my OB told me... I didn't realize I should be worried?

I went in because I had a positive home pregnancy test...  based on my last period I should have been 7 weeks and a couple days.  When they did the ultrasound there was a gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole... yet. Is what she told me.  She said I likely ovulated late, and it was just too early to see the heartbeat, that I was measuring 5 weeks and 3 days.  She said you are pregnant.  And scheduled me to come back in 2 weeks... which is Tuesday for me.  She said until she sees a heartbeat she couldn't give me an exact due date, but from what it looked like it would be early July.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was right there with you. My LMP had me at 7w2d on Monday. I went in and the US had a sac but it was completely empty. Sac was measuring 6w5d. Had an appointment with radiology yesterday, and the tech found the baby (HR 144BPM, babe measuring at 6w4d). Baby was just too small to be found without a super strong US machine. 

I know it's difficult, but try to stay positive. It could be nothing to worry about! Huge hugs to you!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• I'm right there with you.. I thought I was 7w2d at my US on Tuesday but we only saw an empty gestational sac and my OBGYN said I may be way earlier than I thought. I have a follow up US next week and am trying to stay positive and be hopeful.

Try your best not to be worried because stress won't do you any favors right. Try to stay positive while you wait. Limbo sucks but try to keep your mind busy with a good distraction. Fingers crossed you get answers soon!
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• Also in the same boat. Had vaginal US on Tuesday. According to my knowledge I should of been 7w2d. She saw the sac that measured at 7 weeks but no fetal pole. Went in for blood work on Tues and will go again on Friday to compare levels. So probably won't know the results of that until Monday. She scheduled another US on Nov 29th. Ugh! The waiting is terrible. Im worried because the sac is measuring 7w so it's not like I'm measuring 5-6 weeks where you might not see the fetal pole yet. FX we all get to see our babies and a heartbeat soon. Please ladies, keep us all posted. Hugs to all!!
  • I had no idea other women were in a waiting pattern too.  Yes, all please keep updated!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mslynn2012 so happy to hear the news. What a relief. I'm so glad I read your post about going to radiology. I asked my doctor to refer me to one as well. Schedule for this Tues as on my 7w appt on the 15th  just a sac was seen. No fetal pole. Next US with reg ob that could not find a fetal pole is on the 29th. No way I can wait that long. How do they expect you to wait so long? Thanks again for sharing. 
  • I'm hopeful that radiology will have better equipment. My dr doesn't seem to concerned but hello... measuring 7 weeks and you cannot locate a baby.....seems so odd to me. Sorry, just needing to vent
  • Hi! I know this is old but wanted to see how this turned out for you!