April 2017 Moms
Options

Repeated urinary tract infections..

theagriftheagrif member
edited November 2016 in April 2017 Moms
Hi Ladies,

Doc called Sunday and told me I have another UTI. After my first 8 week appointment she found out I had one then... No symptoms or anything! But I took antibiotics and thought all was fine. But now at 17 weeks it is back. again 0 symptoms despite a significant amount of bacteria in my urine. She is worried that I am not responding to the pregnancy-safe antibiotics well or maybe I am just more susceptible to them during pregnancy (never had one before now). The main concern is that it goes to my kidneys and I have to be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics... Has anyone had a similar issue before? I would be interested in hearing any stories/advice since I am a little freaked out about taking so many antibiotics while pregnant, though the are supposed to be 100% pregnancy safe.... 

Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Repeated urinary tract infections..

• Options
    I had this issue las pregnancy. I see a natural, holistic based doctor who recommended balancing my ph with vitamin C and baking soda. It sounded loony at first but ultimately cleared up my infection and I had no further reoccurrences. Basically I would take higher doses of vitamin C to help my body fight the bacteria then neutralize the acidity with a glass of water/baking soda. It was not the most pleasant, but it helped within a week. I would take 2000 mg of Vitamin C every 4 hours then drink one 8oz glass of water with 1tsp baking soda mixed in first thing in the morning.  In my opinion, it beat the antibiotics that ended up causing yeast infections. Good luck to you! 
  • Options
    @Annsor Thank you so much for your response! I am currently taking cranberry supplements too and will try added Vitamin C and the baking soda/water cocktail. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome!

I've also had an ongoing infection with zero symptoms.  I saw a nautropath like @Annsor and am on a very high dose of garlic for the remainder of my pregnancy.  There are definitely other options than antibiotics, especially if that isn't working for you.  I recommend taking a probiotic as well to help get everything back in balance. 

Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    @theagrif make sure that you are peeing immediately after sex! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @cafedisco @JaneArson Thank you for your input! I am going to discuss these alternatives with my doctor. She did recommend taking a single antibiotic dose after sex, as this could be a contributing factor, but I want to avoid that if possible... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If I pee right after sex I never get them. But if I skip the post-sex pee even once then BAM I get one 24-48 hrs later.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.