July 2016 Moms
Options

Activity centers

What kind to get?  I like baby Einstein stuff but I just don't know what to get. Also, DH thinks he needs one that is a walker but I'm thinking no....???

Re: Activity centers

• Options
    I just ordered the SkipHop activity center. I like that it "grows" with baby as their motor skills grow. Not going to lie, I also like to find great toys that aren't filled with too many obnoxiously loud colors, when I can!! LOL 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a Baby Einstein exersaucer that I used with DD (so it's like 7 years old). I just put it together this weekend for DS. He's a tall baby and his feet reach the floor when it's set on the lowest level. So far he likes it but I've only had him in it for a few minutes at a time.
  • Options
    We went to babies r us this weekend to try out activity centers so Santa brings one she likes!  I just took the display model down and plopped her in it.  I totally thought I was going to get the skip hop one...that is what I went to the store with the intentions of buying but she chose differently.  She got bored in it :-\
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 That's such a good idea. I wanted to get her the skip hop one, but maybe I'll do the same and find out she doesn't like it. 
  • Options
    I'm SO SO glad I tried them out (thanks Mom for the idea!)  I did the same with a new car seat.  Lets just say again, I didn't end up buying the one I intended to.  The activity center we ended up buying was out of batteries and one of the workers offered to put new ones in just so we could be sure!  It was fantastic.
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 Interesting!! Which one did you go with? Maybe I'll run over to BRU today. I ordered ours online so I can always cancel or return when it arrives!! We thought about demoing them but I felt so sure about the coolness of the skip hop, lol! But I very well could be wrong!!!
  • Options
    We went with this Fisher Price one (unfortunately it has the obnoxious kiddie colors unlike the skip hop).  A bonus was that it had an instant $20 rebate so was only $109 instead of $129! AND they honored the 25% off Veterans Day coupon from Buy Buy Baby so I only paid $80.  Woot!  I will say with the skip hop she liked the view window to see her feet hitting the piano keys- but there were only a few table top toys and they were just kind of blah to her.  I suppose you can stick your own toys to it that are intended for highchairs- but then what is the point of buying a special activity center? I so so wanted her to like it for the aesthetics of it for myself, lol.

P.S.- not sure why my pics are always sideways??
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 Thanks for sharing. My concern with it as well. I'm wondering just how entertaining it really will be. What sold me was that it transforms to the able they can walk around as they become mobile and then a plain table for crafts, etc later down the road. Ugh! Seriously I wish these things weren't so spendy!!! 
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 Yup- I loved that part too- especially considering the weight limit for most gyms are 25-30 lbs...we're already at 18 lbs...eek!  I'm all about sales and coupons...Buying gift cards at the grocery for points or discounts. 
  • Options
    FYI- this weekend I asked my SIL, who works with kids 0-3, what age is good to put DD2 in the excersaucer. She said, well developmentally they aren't good at all
  • Options
    While admittedly I haven't done a TON of research- what I have read has been fairly inconsistent on the thought of this (relatively consistent on walkers based on falling down the stairs- but don't use it as a babysitter and that isn't an issue).  I really only plan to use it while I'm in the shower (I currently keep a swing in the bathroom so she is in the room with me if she isn't sleeping) or if i have to do something where my hands won't be available.  It seems as if it should be okay for limited use.  She gets a ton of hands on playtime sans equipment so I can't imagine putting her in a seat for a shower or to use the stove/oven would be so harmful to choose to not let her pay in it?
  • Options
    I have one of those doorway johnny jumpers. Anyone know if those are also bad for development? I just figured it would be nice for when I'm cooking dinner. 
  • Options
    shaylalr said:
    I have one of those doorway johnny jumpers. Anyone know if those are also bad for development? I just figured it would be nice for when I'm cooking dinner. 
    I read that jumpers are fine, it's the walkers that delay real walking because baby doesn't learn the correct way to walk. They think they can just push off with their toes to walk.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    I've done quite a bit of research and everything I've read says walkers = evil, but activity centers okay used in moderation- just like swings, 
  • Options
    I just realized that half my post is gone!  Sorry. Finishing my post- My SIL said that developmentally excersaucers aren't good but like FTM53 said they are fine in moderation. Just like a Bumbo or anything else it's fine to set baby in while going to the bathroom, working on dinner, etc. However, it's just a good reminder that tummy time is best and to only use excersaucers for little bits at a time. 
  • Options
    MamaBish said:
    shaylalr said:
    I read that jumpers are fine, it's the walkers that delay real walking because baby doesn't learn the correct way to walk. They think they can just push off with their toes to walk.
    I got out our Johnny jumper and put M in it just to see size wise where she was. She's such a peanut and it was just so funny! She quite literally, was just hanging out. Hahaha 

• Options
    @MamaBish
    Yes, that's part of why walkers are bad. They also delay walking by not having the feet/legs in the proper position and by giving so much support the stabilization muscles done develope.

However, walkers also delay cognitive development. By allowing the baby to move freely, they don't learn to entrain themselves. They don't learn to problem solve. And creativity is stunted. 

Exerscaucers remove most of the delays/risks, but still aren't a leave them for hours option. I'm getting one, but I don't keep him in anything for more than 30-40 minutes at a time unless he's asleep.