TTC After a Loss

questions for RE

So, I'm about to have my first appointment with an RE and really anxious about heading down this path. I truly feel like something isn't right but it's still scary to think about what this road might lead to.

TW* child mentioned

A little background, I've gotten pregnant twice the first month trying resulting in my DS and an ectopic pregnancy. Next month will be 1 year since I got pregnant with my ectopic and 6 months of trying since then with  no luck. I know it can take healthy couples up to 1 year to conceive but given my history I feel like something is wrong now and that's why we are having trouble. I've been temping and charting and have found out my O date is usually around CD 18 but has been as early as CD13 and as late as CD 23, I'm not sure what that means, if anything. Basically I'm just wondering what questions I should be asking during our first visit. I have a bunch written down about my O date, my LP, etc but do you ladies have any other suggestions? What should I except from the initial visit? thanks!!
TW*** Child and loss mentioned
Married 10/12
DS 11/14
Ectopic 2/16
PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
IUI x 3- BFN
Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
FET- 6/17- BFP!
Due Feb 15, 2017

Re: questions for RE

• @brooklyngirl18 - I have no advice, but I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and hope your visit goes well and you end up getting some answers.
    **TW - Loss & Child mentioned**
    Me: 40  DH: 47
    Married: 10/2015
    DSD: 17
    BFP #1: 6/2/15, ectopic, metho 7/15
    BFP #2: 12/4/15, cp 12/7/15
    BFP #3: 8/5/16, MMC discovered 9/1, Misoprostol 9/19
    BFP #4: 5/10/17, EDD 1/20/2018
    Baby boy born January 12, 2018, 6 lbs 3.3 oz, 20.5 in.

• Hey @brooklyngirl18. I actually just just had my first appt on 11/7. The RE reviewed our medical history and all the tests we had done prior and then discussed new tests she was ordering based on the what she saw. She wanted to know the specifics of our loss and what our TTC journey looked like up to that point. 

When she asked us about questions I asked her about my cycle irregularities and if she thought they were concerning, if there were any supplements/lifestyle changes shed recommend taking while trying naturally and saving for IVF, what the clinic hours were to see if I could get treatment without it impacting my job, and about my husbands travel (he's going to Brazil and panama in Jan/Feb). *She did tell us they'd like to hold off on IVF until 6 months after he returns from those trips. So we won't be doing IVF until August which is fine because then it gives us time to save up.* We didn't get into finances too much just yet bc she said there's a chance we won't even need IVF but we have a follow up meeting in January and if we're still in the same boat will discuss all the details.  

I did feel a lot better after that appointment just knowing we had a plan and that I was finally seeing a doctor who didn't think I was crazy/dramatic because I want help. 

GL with your appt. I hope you get some answers 
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    BFP 2/4/15, MC twin boys at 18w3d 5/15
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• Loading the player...
  • @SoonToBeMommaHowe thank you so much, those are great ideas. I didn't even think to ask about hours and how it would impact my job. I hope you won't need to wait until August!

@newmommycoop thank you!

Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • @brooklyngirl18 - my first visit was similar. RE took both my DH's and my medical history, family history and she wanted to know about any irregular periods. I told her that I have confirmed O with OPKs so not ovulating is not an issue. I asked about pre natals I was taking,taking baby aspirin and about lifestyle changes -but she said that what we found out through testing would be more beneficial to me then switching pre natal brands. I had bloodwork done, chromosomal work up and HCG blue dye test. Through the blood work they found that I have a hereditary clotting disorder -plasminogen activation inhibitor. Im so thankful that I went to an RE since I did get an answer and as @soontobemommahowe said it feels good to see a dr that doesn't think you are crazy/dramatic.

Good luck - fx for you!!

• @TScalei I'm glad you got some answers! Thanks for your response. 
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • roxgibbonsroxgibbons member
    edited November 2016
    @brooklyngirl18 good luck with the RE. Like PP mentioned it's a lot of questions about cycles, family history etc and review of any bloodwork. The one thing I will stress is be you own advocate. The REs and nurses get so busy sometimes it's helpful when you speak up and say hey I read this what do you think? Also if you decide to move forward with any treatment make sure you get all your testing done such as HSG and saline sono. Like you I had kids so they didn't pressure me to do HSG and saline sono immediately and was kind of lax about it and I ended up having fibroids. good luck- I hope you come up with a plan and get down answers. Also- one last thing I feel like the two REs focused on me a lot eventhough besides age there isn't any red flags. One of DHs SA numbers was borderline and the more I think about it and the more research I do.I wonder if that's contributing. Of course the REs brushed it off. 
     ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me (39) DH (40) 
    From my first marriage DD: 03/04 CP:01/06 DS:12/06 
    DH- no kids
    TTC: since 2/15, RE Consult 9/15
    IUI #1 10/15: Letrozole = BFN 
    IUI #2 11/15: Letrozole + trigger = BFN
    1/08/16: Surprise- BFP!!  2/16/16: MMC @10w 2days,  D&C: 2/17/16
    TTCAL: May 2016
    IUI #3 5/27/16: Letrozole+trigger=BFN
    IUI #4 06/24/16: 7.5mg Letrozole+trigger= BFN
    IUI#5 08/24/16 Menopur+trigger = BFN
    IUI #6 09/19/16 5 mg Letrozole +Menopur + Trigger= BFN
    **10/2016: No more medicated cycles, TTCAL on our own**
    12/03/16: BFP!! EDD: 08/12/17 It's a girl!! 
    Eleni was born on 8/14/17!!
  • @roxgibbons thanks for the advice. I actually  had an HSG done after my ectopic and it came back clear but I'm thinking something else is going on. I'm not the best at being my own advocate but I'm trying to arm myself with as much information and questions to ask as possible. Thank you!
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Of course- I know, I had a rough time with being my own advocate as well, but over  time it got easier. Arming yourself with questions/information is a great start. I hope you can get some answers and come up with a plan. 
     ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me (39) DH (40) 
    From my first marriage DD: 03/04 CP:01/06 DS:12/06 
    DH- no kids
    TTC: since 2/15, RE Consult 9/15
    IUI #1 10/15: Letrozole = BFN 
    IUI #2 11/15: Letrozole + trigger = BFN
    1/08/16: Surprise- BFP!!  2/16/16: MMC @10w 2days,  D&C: 2/17/16
    TTCAL: May 2016
    IUI #3 5/27/16: Letrozole+trigger=BFN
    IUI #4 06/24/16: 7.5mg Letrozole+trigger= BFN
    IUI#5 08/24/16 Menopur+trigger = BFN
    IUI #6 09/19/16 5 mg Letrozole +Menopur + Trigger= BFN
    **10/2016: No more medicated cycles, TTCAL on our own**
    12/03/16: BFP!! EDD: 08/12/17 It's a girl!! 
    Eleni was born on 8/14/17!!