Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Methotrexate Question

Hi ladies- I have a question regarding the laws on methotrexate use. This is NOT a political post. I am really searching for an answer and want to get some insight.

A few months ago, I had a suspected ectopic that wasn't resolving itself. I had to get a few doses of methotrexate. Prior to the methotrexate, I almost felt like a bomb and worried about getting to the hospital in time if my tube(s) did erupt.

So my question is: If the Supreme Court does overturn Roe v. Wade, does that mean women with ectopic pregnancies won't be able to receive any treatment? Will they just have to wait it out?

Again, this is not political. If you respond, please be civil to each other.  I didn't really know what an ectopic was until it happened to me and I'm just curious what will happen to women like me in the future.

Thank you!

Re: Methotrexate Question

• Options
    That's a great question. I think it depends on how the laws would change and what if any provisions they would have in there for the health of the mother.  

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• Options
    My understanding is that even if  Roe v. Wade were overturned that would be applied to viable pregnancies.  An ectopic pregnancy is considered a non-viable pregnancy so it might not apply to Roe v. Wade?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think women that experience miscarriage DO have reason to worry if Roe v. Wade is overturned. A D&C is referred to by a hospital as a "missed abortion," and many religious hospitals refuse to practice D&C's...I feel like this pill could fall under the same space. We need to defend our rights as women. 
    TTC since 8/7/16 
    BFP 9/13/16
    MMC 10/18/16 
    D&C 10/20/16
  • Options
    @Worldtravler0522 @justsuzie @mrsegan13 Thank you all for your answers! There are so many different medical scenarios that most people don't even know about. I think I will eventually start speaking up so I can help some people understand.

I've just been thinking about this lately b/c I live in the South and if these decisions are left up to the state, I think more restrictions will be put in place.

When laws restrict medical help in the situations mentioned above, I feel like it's kicking a woman when she's already down.
  • Options
    **Lurking/siggy warning**

I am a health professional and just wanted to share some insight. I'm really passionate about not spreading incorrect information (as there is a lot of that out there and a lot of fear):

No, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, it will not apply to ectopics. There is no way an ectopic is ever viable and it is a life-threatening condition for the mother.

The term "abortion" is used to mean any pregnancy that does not continue beyond the stage of viability. This is a sad reality in that there are "spontaneous abortions" (any miscarriage) and "elective abortions" (ones performed at the request of the mother for a potentially viable embryo/fetus). Many women who have had losses are upset by the word "abortion" being used in the medical records, but it really only refers to the fact that the pregnancy has been terminated naturally by the body for whatever reason.

A D&C in and of itself is not an "abortion procedure." It in and of itself is not the "missed abortion" either, but a procedure used to rid the body of the "products of conception" when the body does not recognize the loss yet. D&C's are performed for a variety of other reasons, including dysfunctional uterine bleeding, retained products of conception, etc. You cannot make a procedure illegal just because SOME providers use it for elective abortions. Therefore, a D&C cannot be made illegal itself, as it is a treatment for many medical conditions.

What *could* be overturned is the woman's right to an elective abortion, depending on what each individual state chooses. Care for ectopic pregnancies and miscarriages will be ongoing for women.

I hope this helps. Hugs to everyone here.
  • Options
    @Wishilivedinflorida  Thanks for the insight.  Very informative!
  • Options
    Think of it like this: for pro-lifers, an unborn baby is a live human being and deserves the same rights as every human being. In a d&c, the baby is already dead. Removing the remains wouldn't be any more illegal than having the appropriate authorities remove the remains of great grandma who passed asleep in her own home. There may be a provision about non-viable pregnancy, but that's not guaranteed. I highly doubt any abortion law would NOT have a provision for the life of the mother. Even if it's not explicitly in the abortion law, it's self defense: if someone was in the process of killing you, you can defend yourself, by killing that person if necessary. 
  • Options
    @Wishilivedinflorida Thank you so much! It's so hard to find information like this. 

My ectopic was after 3 rounds of IVF so I feel like each time I learn something new because there are just so many different outcomes.
  • Options
    @RRDPin my state, they already filed a bill that would make women with miscarriages or abortions pay for a burial or cremation. I agree with you that this is just insult to injury, and I wrote a letter to my state representative (Texas). Like you, I definitely worry about living in the south given the current political climate and my past experience with MMC. 
    TTC since 8/7/16 
    BFP 9/13/16
    MMC 10/18/16 
    D&C 10/20/16
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @mrsegan13: that's not true that women are required to pay for burial/cremation of miscarried fetuses, assuming you're talking about Indiana (if it's another state, I'm not sure but I'd be interested in reading the law since that doesn't seem likely). The Indiana law referred to in this scare-tactic rumor was suspended before it was enacted, and even if it had been enacted exactly written the parents would NOT have to pay unless they requested a burial/cremation that was different from hospital protocol. The experience for a woman miscarrying or having an abortion in a hospital or clinic would be the same, the law just regulated how the remains are disposed of, which would be different from medical waste. From my understanding, the only difference for the woman is that she would not have the option of donating the remains to research (which I honestly didn't even know was an option for most of us!) Here's the fact-check info: https://www.snopes.com/pence-law-forcing-fetus-funerals/

Eta: oops, sorry, clearly I didn't read close enough. Texas does seem to have a proposal (but not a current law) requiring burial of fetuses, but it also doesn't say the woman had to pay for it. as far as I can tell, I don't think any state currently has a law like that. It doesn't make sense that a woman would be charged for a burial/cremation unless patients are generally required to pay for disposal of other medical waste/body parts. If patients are generally charged a disposal fee, it would make sense for the fee to continue even if the disposal method changes
  • Options
    I think women will pay for it one way or another because the cost of the procedure will go up if the cost goes up for the hospital. Regulating how the products of conception are dealt with will be an added cost to the hospital. Either way, very bad news for women. 
    TTC since 8/7/16 
    BFP 9/13/16
    MMC 10/18/16 
    D&C 10/20/16