Trouble TTC

Prometrium questions

So my doc gave me a blood test after a year of not conceiving. Turns out I have virtually no progesterone. I had a positive ovulation test on Sunday but the pharmacy just filled the script today, Saturday. It's 70 bucks for 15 day supply and if I do get pregnant I'll have to stay on it through the first trimester. I figure it's definitely too late to take it now and might as well use it next month instead of wasting 70 bucks. I'm getting an ultrasound on cycle day 10 to see if there's anything else going on. This is frustrating but I'm glad to be getting some answers. Anyone have experience with prometrium? Any advice? 

Re: Prometrium questions

• I've taken prometrium for years.  The only advice I have is take it at night before bed because it can make you so tired.  The tiredness was my only side effect I had.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.  

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• Hello, 
    Can u guys tell me what is prometrium, like y do we take it, how did it help u, etc. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Trumom16  Prometrium is a progesterone hormone pill.  You can either take it orally or vaginally and some doctors prescribe it to help you maintain a pregnancy/create a healthy environment for a pregnancy.  

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• I've been taking prometrium twice a day (vaginally) since conceiving.  But I actually am on a generic which only costs $10 for 60 capsules...do you think that might be an option?
    Married for 5 years, TTC for 3 years
    PCOS, Low AMH, Endo, Uterine Fibroids, Low Estrogen...
    and a Partridge in a Pear Tree. 
    3 Losses, 8/16 11/16 and 6/2017  o:)
  • Hello,
    This sounds good. I need to ask my doctor to prescribe me thsee tablets. thank u.
    Lots n lots of baby dust to all of us
  • Trumom16 said:
    Hello,
    This sounds good. I need to ask my doctor to prescribe me thsee tablets. thank u.
    Lots n lots of baby dust to all of us
    @Trumom16

Just a heads up the term baby dust usually isn't responded to very well here. I know for sure on TTGP it isn't and I believe it's the same on this board as well.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Trumom16Trumom16 member
    edited November 2016
    Hello @SaphireSweetie88,
    I thought so too. I even felt ppl don become friends here dat easily. I hv replied to many posts, but may b only  for 1 or 2 I got response  back. I don kne how to make friends here.
  • Trumom16 said:
    Hello @SaphireSweetie88,
    I thought so too. I even felt ppl don become friends here dat easily. I hv replied to many posts, but may b only  for 1 or 2 I got response  back. I don kne how to make friends here.
    @Trumom16

It takes time! You have to participate a lot and be active in the community. This board doesn't get as much traffic as TTGP does. When I first started here, I didn't get many replies back either. Like in real life, friendships don't come automatically - you have to build the relationship. Same thing here.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• @SaphireSweetie88  - whoops, I have definitely used "baby dust". Ahaha. I saw someone else use it and I thought it was so cute. I wonder why it's not liked? Ah well, I will avoid in future!
  • @funkykey - It is because the term is / can be particularly offensive and hurtful to those who have unfortunately had to cremate their baby.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Ah, I see. Yes, that could be triggering. I used to read old celtic stories about fairies, when I was little, so I'd only seen that association.
  • @SaphireSweetie88, thank u for explainomg abt the "baby dust" phrase. I had not at thought in that direction. n about making friends here, may b u r right I need to get involved a lot. I got disappointed coz I posted around 7-8 replies both at TTGP  n infertility boards, din get proper response. I have to say u the person  who has replied back to me. I'm happy atleast I have started to make friends here. 
  • edited November 2016
    @Trumom16

Not a problem. 7 - 8 replies is a good start but you need to comment more than that for people to get to "know" you and recognize your screen name otherwise they can't / won't remember you from people who do "drive-bys"

Remember the motto: Give support to get support.

Also, if you click on my screen name and look at my replies / participation you can get a better idea of what I am talking about!
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Bwhitta- so I was able to get a generic but it's a 14 day supply of capsules. I'm wondering why she didn't prescribe the suppositories because she said my count is very low and I hear they are more effective. Do you just insert the capsules? I tried calling my doc today to ask her about this and to reiterate when in my cycle I'm supposed to take them exactly but I missed her call. Now I have to wait until Monday to speak to her. ugh. 
  • Thank u @SaphireSweetie88, n u r right give support to get support.
  • @Trumom16 You're welcome!
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker