February 2017 Moms

The Politics Post

Re: The Politics Post

• Anybody want to move to Canada/anywhere else with me? 
  • I'm truly at a loss for words. I feel defeated.
  • Loading the player...
  • @perrasucia - so true. 

I think you are on to something though pointing out BLM. I think POC are going to be most at risk and I need to get out more to use my whiteness and make sure I'm being a good ally. 

The other thing I might do today is figure out how to pressure congress to confirm Garland as the new justice. Letting them stall and handing an appointment to Trump is a huge mistake. 
  • My BFF just posted this article with some proactive thoughts for moving forward. I found it marginally improved my mood to think about what I can do to help. 

https://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/11/how_to_preserve_the_ideals_of_liberal_democracy_in_the_face_of_a_trump_presidency.html
  • My BFF just posted this article with some proactive thoughts for moving forward. I found it marginally improved my mood to think about what I can do to help. 

https://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/11/how_to_preserve_the_ideals_of_liberal_democracy_in_the_face_of_a_trump_presidency.html
    Great article! Thanks for sharing. This is exactly what my brain needed - to know someone smarter than me has a plan. 
  • I can't stop crying. I keep looking at my daughter and I'm terrified for her future. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah, I spent the better part of this morning crying and then being pissed off. I still can't wrap my brain around what has happened. The American population has truly failed me.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The ladies from my previous BMB are talking about opening a commune. It used to be a joke but the past 12 hours have suddenly tremendously fueled the discussion... ;)
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• I am sick to death and could barely stand to face my students this morning.  I was lucky to be able to use literature to express my feelings.  Walt Whitman's "Election Day, November 1884" has never been more apt.

@homemake, please don't leave.  Stay and fight like hell.  
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited November 2016
    A silver lining, it looks like Hillary is winning the popular vote. It is one of the few times in history of a President has won the election without the popular vote. I feel like this should show this is not the will of the people, this is not some sort of land slide victory. It makes me happy at least knowing Hillary did win popular vote. 

https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-popular-vote/index.html

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • The whiplash in my state. ...Cubs win and then this. .... 

• @niceymeany I'll stay just for you! No but I think my husband and I need to move back to a blue area just for our sanity. It's hard being around NO one who is likeminded. It's scary as well after this news. 
  • Also I'm so dumbfounded by the electoral college. 

"AsAlexander Hamilton writes in “The Federalist Papers,” the Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” The point of the Electoral College is to preserve “the sense of the people,” while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen “by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.” 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/93440438/

Feels like BS at this point in time.
  • @homemake yeah, I feel you. I was under the impression the Electoral College existed to prevent this EXACT thing from happening...what a load of shit.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Gretchypoo the cartoon is sooooooo on point. I know i'm gonna fight like hell. I just need a minute. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Any Douglas Adams fans?

"The election is ancient history, Zaphod. If memory serves, you won, proving that good looks and charm win over brilliance and the ability to govern."

Not that the good looks and charm apply here but still....

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  • edited November 2016
    homemake said:
    Also I'm so dumbfounded by the electoral college. 

"AsAlexander Hamilton writes in “The Federalist Papers,” the Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” The point of the Electoral College is to preserve “the sense of the people,” while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen “by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.” 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/93440438/

Feels like BS at this point in time.
    I think actually the intention of the founders was that the choice would be left to the educated and elite few, and not to the masses (unfortunately).
  • I wasn't able to get in to see my therapist today so I stuffed myself with comfort food to.  Now I just feel double shitty. 

• Thank God for leftover Halloween candy :-p
  • I love Hillary and think she would have been a fantastic president, but I do not think she should run again and I do not think she will.  Right now I want Cory Booker or Gavin Newsom - but I'm sure more rising stars will distinguish themselves over the next 4 years.
  • Cory Booker would be AMAZING! I think we'll be hearing a lot more from Elizabeth Warren but I don't think she'll run in 20.
  • We had a whole discussion of Warren could have won because she doesn't have all the Clinton baggage. It would of been a less hateful but I still don't think she would have won.  

I also dont think Sanders would have won if he would have won the primary either. I think we were just fucked without a Christian man. 
  • Yes, I'm totally torn between wanting Warren to keep fighting the good fight in congress vs becoming president. I do heart Cory Booker. I'd like to see and hear a lot more from him in the coming years. I worry that following a ramp-up of overt racism in the Trump years, we won't be able to get a woman or a black man into the Oval in 2020. God, even saying that pisses me off. 
  • I would love Tammy Duckworth to run too. Imagine anyone trying bash her. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • @skiingstark Tammy Duckworth is an unbelievable human being.  I'm getting chills at the idea of voting for her.  But I don't know if she'll have enough clout to run in 2020.  Her political career is in its relative infancy.  Cory Booker, though, seems poised for a big ol' promotion.
  • Ahhhh that's awesome @srscott3! I think an easily likable personality from a Southern state would be helpful in challenging Trump next round. 
  • Someone just posted to facebook that there was a noose hanging from a tree on Main St in my town. This new reality just does not compute in my brain. 
  • ohstars said:
    Someone just posted to facebook that there was a noose hanging from a tree on Main St in my town. This new reality just does not compute in my brain. 
    Extremely, extremely sad and scary. What I'd really like to see is the people who voted for Trump for economic/policy/just don't like Hillary reasons to stand up against this crap, but sadly, at least in my own life, I'm not seeing it at all. If you bring it up they just mention the one (admittedly sad) story of the old man who was beat up for supporting Trump, as if that absolves hundreds of acts of racism. Trump will need to maintain and grow his support to get reelected, so if over 50% of the nation can show that we won't stand for this, he'll need to change his tune. 
  • This is the same shit I've seen. Like everyone is calling the protestors rioters and saying this is why he won and how they shouldn't be inconviencing people and if some black person says "fuck white people" and it's recorded it's all about the reverse racism and the video is posted on every single of my of neighbors Facebook pages. 
  • Did anyone watch SNL last night? I thought their opening was a pretty nice tribute to Hillary without having to say anything
  • lfrank12 said:
    Did anyone watch SNL last night? I thought their opening was a pretty nice tribute to Hillary without having to say anything
    Omg I cried so hard. 
  • lfrank12 said:
    Did anyone watch SNL last night? I thought their opening was a pretty nice tribute to Hillary without having to say anything
    Omg I cried so hard. 
    Yep, the tears. All of them.