June 2015 Moms
Options

Pillows in the Crib

Have any of you introduced pillows into LO's crib/sleeping space, yet?

DS has been a stomach-sleeper since Day 1 and I'm thinking he may be able to sleep better through the night more consistently if he were able to sleep comfortably on his back. Any recommendations for pillow type, size, thickness, etc? Any info about this from personal experience would be great! TIA!

Me: 31
     DH: 34
Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

Re: Pillows in the Crib

• Options
    I'm no help at all. We didn't give ds a pillow and blankets until he was between 2-2.5. We didn't want to take any chances. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    alcrimminsalcrimmins member
    edited November 2016
    I probably won't be giving a pillow until she moves out of her crib. As far as blankets go, she hates them and throws them out of her crib. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think for a toddler sleeping without a pillow is just as comfortable as with it. They don't know better. I've actually retrained myself to not sleep with a pillow. My guy loves sleeping on his stomach still too so I think that's normal.
  • Options
    We have a fairly stiff small one because LO has terrible allergies and had drainage waking her up if she had no way to prop her hed up. She's usually a stomach sleeper but adjusts if her cough gets too bad and figured out to grab her pillow. She naps in the living room a lot if we're at home so we introduced it in there so we could keep an eye on her.
  • Options
    We aren't using one, but when I was considering it, I was considering one from IKEA. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your comments! Looks like pillows aren't a necessity, so we can just hold off for now. With DS being a consistent-stomach sleeper, there's no reason to interrupt a good thing. Perhaps when he shows interest in them at an older age, we can introduce them into his toddler bed. 

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    I read up on 'toddler pillows' after seeing at daycare a couple of the kids had some for their naps. From what I read, it was saying if you notice your LO sleeping with their head on their stuffed animal / lovey (or whatever else people call it), they might be ready / interested in a pillow. Evidently there is such a thing as a toddler pillow (I had no idea)...basically smaller in size of course but specifically, much thinner than our regular pillows. Like just a couple inches thick. I did end up getting a small one for her naps at daycare and one for her crib at home. I figured if she's not interested in it she just wouldn't use it and I'd have it for when she does start to use one.

Here's one I bought for daycare use (there's also a bit larger one that's the toddler version):
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y2DFLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    I'm glad someone posed the question. My almost 17 month old still doesn't use a pillow in his crib. He uses one of our pillows in the mornings when we put him into bed with us. However, if he still finds himself sleepy, he will push the pillow away. He hates blankets too. We still use a sleep sack.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I'm definitely the odd one out but DS has been sleeping with a blanket and pillow for 6(ish) months. He starts out laying on it but he's constantly spinning around so he rarely sleeps on it all night. 
  • Options
    beemaya83 said:
    I'm glad someone posed the question. My almost 17 month old still doesn't use a pillow in his crib. He uses one of our pillows in the mornings when we put him into bed with us. However, if he still finds himself sleepy, he will push the pillow away. He hates blankets too. We still use a sleep sack.
    Ditto all this exactly