Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Very picky about finger foods @12m

Hi all.  This is my first time posting on this board (over from Nov 15).  I have been reading some other posts on picky eating and transitioning to cups, but hope someone might have some ideas about a very specific picky habit my daughter has.  She was late to the solids game anyhow, and now at 12 months is still primarily eating purees. She has very little interest in finger foods (fruits, veg, soft cheese) or anything with too many lumps (mashed sweep potatoes, chunky applesauce, scrambled eggs etc.)  The only thing I can seem to get her into is baby puffs and crackers, so strangely, crunchy seems ok with her.  She is also fine with picking things up, so not a motor problem.  She is on the small side weight-wise, so subsisting off of puree and milk makes me a little nervous.  Her doc said just to keep putting it in front of her and adding carnation instant to her milk, but that just seems like a ton of sugar to be giving a small child!  Any ideas on how to get some more calories and variety into her diet?

Re: Very picky about finger foods @12m

• Options
    I make smoothies for my LO when his teeth are bugging him. They're quick to make and you could add all kinds of nutritious ingredients (almond butter, shredded coconut, spinach) while keeping the sugar down. Do you think that would work for your DD? 

I also give DS sautéed chicken liver when he's in pain. You can mash it to a paste-like texture if necessary. LO also likes hummus, guacamole, and yogurt.

Sorry, no tips on transitioning to other textures.
  • Options
    My son is just like your daughter.   He is now 15 months and still eats his veggies and fruits in purees.  I offer he just refuses. He will eat a banana but that's the only fruit. He eats crunchies but any other food texture he pretty much refuses.  He likes bread though.  Eats pb & j, waffles and pancakes a lot. Doctor not real concerned.  He is gaining weight and growing. Just says to keep offering different foods.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mack2342 said:
    My son is just like your daughter.   He is now 15 months and still eats his veggies and fruits in purees.  I offer he just refuses. He will eat a banana but that's the only fruit. He eats crunchies but any other food texture he pretty much refuses.  He likes bread though.  Eats pb & j, waffles and pancakes a lot. Doctor not real concerned.  He is gaining weight and growing. Just says to keep offering different foods.  
    This is us too. He is 14 months old, won't touch veggies, cooked or raw same with fruit. No pasta, no meats. No idea why but we keep trying. Garlic bread is a hit, pizza is okay. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Options
    DS is 16 months and won't eat raw veggies, so he still gets those in puree form. He eats everything else though - meat, cheese, fruit, bread, eggs...you name it (well, except for bananas; he won't touch those raw or pureed). He will eat raw fruit all day long though, including harder to chew things like apple slices, so I don't really know what his issue is with them since it doesn't seem to be a texture issue or a taste issue. Our ped said that sometimes it takes 8-10 times of giving toddlers something before they'll even try it, so patience is key!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker