Military Families

What to do first?

Hey everyone! So I'm about 6 weeks along now (due July 2nd) and I'm wondering what are the first steps I have have to take specifically for the military. What I mean by that is when should my husband tell his command that we are expecting? When do I need to make any changes to insurance? My husband should also be getting new orders for PCSing  around February so is there anything different from what I normally would do that I should do now that I know that I'm pregnant? I saw that for some on-base housing there may be some paperwork if you are pregnant... Will that make the wait time shorter or something? Also, any other tips or information would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm still pretty new to all this and could use all the help and information I can. Thank you in advance!

Re: What to do first?

• Medically, you will need to contact your pcm to schedule your prenatal care. They should walk you through it and some places even have different types, including group sessions.

When to tell your husband's command is kind of up to him, but things to take into consideration are that his boss should hear it from him not through work gossip. Also, if he will need to take time off to attend any appointments, he may need to let them know.

For PCS, it will depend on when and where you are moving. CONUS with plenty of time before giving birth, you should just need your doc's approval to travel and make sure your records get transferred. Later in pregnancy, you may need to move earlier or stay behind in order to give birth. Something your doc should be able to tell you about. OCONUS gets tricky and you should be able to talk to someone about.

As far as insurance, I'm not sure what changes you are talking about.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • edited November 2016
    Thank you for all the info! For the insurance, I just meant when is the earliest I can enroll the baby? I'm assuming as soon as he/she is born. I already saw a doctor and have more appointments scheduled so I'm good on that. I feel like he should tell his command soon but I am wary about my husband telling right away considering most people don't even tell family until after the first trimester is over. Any thoughts? Again thanks for all the helpful info :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for all the info! For the insurance, I just meant when is the earliest I can enroll the baby? I'm assuming as soon as he/she is born. I already saw a doctor and have more appointments scheduled so I'm good on that. I feel like he should tell his command soon but I am wary about my husband telling right away considering most people don't even tell family until after the first trimester is over. Any thoughts? Again thanks for all the helpful info :)
    We told people as soon as we found out, so idk about that. We're pretty friendly with all of dh's command, so if anything were to happen we would want their support. That was our thinking. Most people wait until 2nd tri because the risk of miscarriage decreases significantly.

As for insurance, kiddo will be covered under your policy for the first (i think) 30 days. During that time you'll get them a SSN, added to DEERS, then added to Tricare and assigned a PCM.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Okay thank you so much! My husband wants to tell them sooner rather than later and they are pretty friendly too. Thanks for the help :)