March 2017 Moms

UO Thursday 11/10

Let's have another round of unpopular opinions!

Re: UO Thursday 11/10

• I HATE jazz music. Something about it just drives me batty and I literally cannot concentrate or form a complete thought if it's playing. Especially live. 
  • @Gators&BoSox I don't care for jazz either. The draw of it is that much of it is improvised, so if there is an ideal way to listen to it, it's live. Which is why I never got why people listen to jazz CDs; those are boring and drive me a bit batty. At least live, it's kind of cool that the musicians do their own thing but can still stay in the same key and rhythm. But it's definitely background music; I can't just sit there and listen. I have to be socializing and doing other things too.

There's other music I dislike a lot more but will digress, since it's been talked about on a UO already. ;) 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Gators&BoSox I don't like jazz that much but we went to New Orleans this past January and went to a jazz bar because that's the touristy thing to do and had a good time. But definitely not something I would listen to on a regular basis.
  • @babyspice I'm so cheap I just can't enjoy sitting through a movie that cost 12 dollars  And I agree I haven't seen a good movie in years.  The last movie I even saw in the theater was Star Wars

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also am a cheapo and refuse to go to the movies!  In the past five years we've only gone for the epic adventure movies that I think are worth it--the Hobbit & Star Wars.  
  • I love the movies! But we rarely go because DH hates it. I can usually convince him to go ~1x a year if there's a movie he know's I'm super excited for (like Star Wars).
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• @babyspice DH loves the movie theater experience; I find it worth it only for action or adventure movies, similarly to @kjd291. When we were friends in high school, it was the one thing we could do together in public that didn't constitute as "dating." (It would have been weird at the time because we had sworn we were platonic! :lol:) He's a big movie buff so it's fun to talk to him about movies, and I do enjoy them, but the movie-going experience has become less appealing to me as I've gotten older. We have a big TV at home with a comfy couch, and I can have the surround sound experience in my PJs any time of the day!

Now I'm mainly there for the popcorn. :yum:
  • @kiyamurph I honestly don't believe that Trump meant anything he said. I sincerely hope not anyway. Before he began his campaign his values were actually more liberal than Hillary's. He says he has a plan for the healthcare system and I truly hope he does because we can't continue with the premiums we have now. When the penalty is 2.5% or $695 but premiums are $900 a month, that tells me we need a change. I'm hopeful that things won't change (or be set back) like people are expecting. Men aren't going to suddenly think sexual assault is okay because Trump grab her by the p***y. Things are going to settle down soon. I don't think he was the answer to our problems, but I understand the frustration that caused him to be elected. 

I just wish that everyone who only voted for the other candidate to try to prevent the other from gaining office, or who only voted for the candidate they did because they felt that one was the "lesser of two evils", would have voted third party. I think there was enough of us and getting both Republicans and Democrats out of office is the only way to exact real change IMO.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @kiyamurph I didn't mean to imply that you think men will start assaulting women; I've seen other women saying that's their fear.

I do not fear Muslim people, but I will say that I don't agree with bringing more refugees over unless they've been vetted to the extreme. France is a good example of why that's a dangerous move. Most people I know feel the way I do.

It's really shocking to me that people have become so emboldened as to threaten people. I can't understand that thinking. I know he said he's for stop and frisk, but I don't think he'll be able to stop the forward momentum that Ferguson and BLM started. I live in an area that is predominantly Hispanic. I've hired more illegal immigrants than I can count just to have to fire them after discovering they're not legal. I've seen the damage that can be done when we don't have an easy way for people seeking refuge to obtain citizenship. I don't want to ship anyone anywhere, I want them to be able to become citizens and have a timeline for becoming a citizen. That said, it also needs to be easier for us to deport criminals (whose crimes aren't just being here illegally). I had a friend have an illegal immigrant drive into her house, he had no insurance, no license, and no visa, but she was told that he would have to be arrested three different times before he would be deported.

He's definitely made things worse, I 100% agree with you there. To be clear, I did not vote for him. I'm just trying to remain optimistic that things aren't going to be as bad as we think. 

Looking at his 100 day plan, there are some good things he wants to do like enacting Congressional term limits, rulings about lobbying, and ending common core. Granted, there's some seriously shitty things too and probably more of them than there are good. I'll admit being ignorant to the trade things. I think a vast majority of his plans are mere naivete and will never happen. 

Also, I'm sorry you're hurting. I really wish I could be celebrating a Johnson win this week.

• kiyamurph said:
    @DrillSergeantCat Yesterday was a day of mourning for me and I was incredibly sad and disappointed. I was talking to one of my friends earlier today about all of this and I told her that I'm going to continue to control what I can control and do my best to instill good values into my children. I plan to teach them tolerance and to respect everyone no matter who they are, where they come from, their sexual orientation, or what they look like and to fight the good fight. I feel like that's all I CAN do at this point. For the first time in my life though, I truly worry for the future of Roe v Wade. I know that people usually fear that when a Republican comes into office, but with 2 vacant Supreme Court seats, possibly a third, and a Republican House and Senate, this is a genuine concern. Only time will tell I guess. And thank you for the sentiment. I appreciate it.

Fortunately, President Obama is working right now to secure permanent funding for Planned Parenthood.

• Hopefully it passes.
  • @kiyamurph agree with you and feel the same way. My friend was actually just threatened and called a racial slur this morning. This is really bringing out the worst in people.