Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Hcg levels

At 5w4d, my hcg levels were just above 15,000. Three days later they only went up to right around 18,000. I don't know if the nurse just didn't want to get my hopes up, but she didn't seem like this was a great number and said to just keep my fingers crossed that we see a heartbeat at my ultrasound on Thursday. I know I'm making myself crazy, but I just don't feel like I have a good understanding of what these numbers mean. Anyone know a little more about this?

Re: Hcg levels

• Options
    Welcome! From what I know, those numbers are good numbers for five weeks. But the fact that they didn't increase much, I don't know what that means. Keep us updated on Thursday and in the meantime, fingers crossed for you and hoping you can stay calm and not stress too much in the next 48 hours. Pulling for you! 
  • Options
    After 1600 they take up to 96 hours to double and when you are over 10,000 they actually slow down even more 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't know that personally @DungeonTrollMel. That's good! Also @hiljordan in my experience nurses have to be pessimistic so they don't give you false hope. Mine kept telling me I might be ectopic when I was in week 4/5 until I got my ultrasound. Gee thanks. Hoping for your sake she's just be cautious! 
  • Options
    After 1600 they take up to 96 hours to double and when you are over 10,000 they actually slow down even more 

Was just going to say this.  There is specific threshold where once you reach your numbers increase but not as rapidly.  From my experience at 5wks 4days 15k is pretty good and they are increasing as well.  I know how hard the waiting is.  At my 1st US they realized I was in fact only 5wks and only saw the yolk sac and no HB.  Had to wait another 10 days and sure enough there was the little blob with a strong HB and measuring 4 days ahead.  Keep us posted on how everything goes on thur.
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, once you reach 6k it can take 4 days to double. Don't feel disheartened if the U/s doesn't show much. That's really early for an u/s. Fingers crossed for you.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    @hiljordan any updates? Thinking of you!
  • Options
    Thank you so much! The ultrasound went well! We got to see and hear the heartbeat! At this point the doctor said she is "cautiously optimistic" and I'm more than happy with that. Thanks for responding to my little freak out lol
  • Options
    @hiljordan - I'm SO glad you got to see a heartbeat!! That's such a huge hurdle to cross. Fx for your bean! 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    Yay!

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• Options
    wonderful!
  • Options
    Yay! @hiljordan that's awesome news! I'm in the same situation and going crazy!

I need some opinions:

I'm 4w4d and I got a call yesterday that my hcg levels had doubled and everyone was happy about that. I asked if we would keep redrawing every 2-3 days for awhile since i MC'd about 8 weeks. I also asked if we could get a progesterone level drawn next time as well since i had very low progesterone levels right before I was told I'd be MC. The clinical assistant was so nice and said she'd find out for me and call me tomorrow....
    This morning I got another call saying "We just got your hcg levels back and that have doubled." (Um.Yeah.) I was confused. This was a different person I'd talk to from yesterday so i just let it slide. Then I was told "So we can schedule your first appointment December 5...." (We aren't doing more lab draws? What about progesterone? I'd be 9 weeks by then - my levels stopped doubling (we think) around 6 weeks and you want me to stop having lab draws?) I asked a ton of questions and the clinical assistant was clearly annoyed because she had to "send the doctor a message to find all this out" -  I'm an icu nurse so i'm probably more pushy and worried than I should be BUT do you guys think they should have read my medical record/file and seen all this already? I feel like I'm repeating information that they already have and no one seems to be on top of it.... 

Am I being too worried/pushy? Is that a normal time frame for someone with previous miscarriage? I just feel like I keep asking questions that haven't been answered and having to repeat myself on what my concerns are over and over. I immediately wanted to start looking for a new OB because I just think no one knows what is going on in the office lately. Opinions please! And you can totally tell me if i'm being crazy. 

• Options
    @lauraash I don't know what other people might say but I don't think you're being crazy at all. I lost at 11 weeks and had no idea so I didn't know anything about progesterone then or anything else. When I got this bfp they had me do two draws, and they looked at progesterone too. (There was also concern of ectopic because of the intense pain I was in so they were taking me really seriously). They updated me to say my progesterone was super high and my levels had more than doubled and that was enough to rule out ectopic. But they still had me come in at six weeks for an ultrasound (which turned out to be 6.5 weeks, since baby was measuring ahead. I think I implanted early). 

Anyway, I personally only had two draws and two early ultrasounds. But they told me I could call anytime with any questions. They also talked me through the spotting I had in weeks 5-6ish. But since I lost at 11 weeks and had had an ultrasound by then I guess they figured my early blood test results and ultrasound had little bearing on whether I'd lose again or not. 

Haha maybe that wasn't helpful now I think about it. Point is, it does seem they're not communicating well and should be more understanding of your situation, and I had a great experience with really communicative nurses and maybe yours are not doing enough for you. Could you ask for a 6 week u/s and at least one more draw between now and then? If they didn't test for progesterone when they tested hcg then I don't see why you couldn't insist on that. It's pretty important. 
  • Options
    lauraashlauraash member
    edited November 2016
    No that was helpful @HGRich! Thank you. My first draw they took an hcg and a prolactin - no one has yet to answer me  to why they drew a prolactin level. I honestly think they marked the wrong box... Progesterone was the box right above Prolactin. Again, I'm making assumptions though.

When they call back I think I will ask for another draw and 6w ultrasound. I just keep thinking I have to advocate for myself so if people get pissy, well, they'll get over it! It's definitely a communication issue for sure. 
  • Options
    Normally they don't keep doing betas for weeks. But I do think it's fair and reasonable to request a progesterone draw.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

• Options
    HGRichHGRich member
    edited November 2016
    @CAdreamin13 so sorry for your limbo! Those numbers should be fine for either five or six weeks. It's a wide range in the early weeks. At that point it's not so much the level as whether or not they double. When's your next blood draw? What does your doc say? 

Five weeks is early for an ultrasound. Are you gonna have another in a week or two? 
  • Options
    @CAdreamin13 I suppose you could have implanted late AND ovulated late. There's still hope if your doc thinks there's hope. Though it stinks they're not being very clear with you. Maybe you can ask to meet with a doctor or nurse after your blood draw. Keep us posted. 

IF this is another loss, be sure to keep hold of hope. Join the loss board for support. Maybe wait awhile and try again. I feel your struggle and I'm so sorry. BUT let's not make any assumptions yet and I will be giving you thoughts and prayers!