December 2016 Moms

Question for STM+: 4th Trimester Clothes

Hi Everyone! I haven't been actively participating since the 3rd trimester started as it's been seriously kicking my butt.

I have a question for STM+ mom's - what "maternity" clothes lasted you into the postpartum stage? It's getting cold up here and I need some new clothes, but my EDD was moved up to 11/28, with the baby measuring to come on 11/22 so I don't want to buy too many clothes that I can't wear after birth. 

Here's my issue - all the sweaters have the "belly" enhancer thingy on them and I read they aren't really PP friendly. Same with leggings and jeans - what type do you buy, because everyone says with the "over the belly" band, those don't stay up after your belly is no longer "inflated". Any store/brand suggestions would also be appreciated. 
Met DH - 9/2003
Dating - 9/18/2012
Married - 8/16/2014
NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
*PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

Re: Question for STM+: 4th Trimester Clothes

• I mostly wore large sweaters (which I wear extra large regardless of pregnancy status) and leggings that I wore before pregnancy too. I'm cheap, so I chose stretchy things that would transcend my pregnancy size. Also Target tank tops are awesome because they're cheap and will shrink back up after you've shrunk back up. 
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • I hear you on the lower participation in the 3rd tri!
    Anyway, I have found each time that I can still wear my over-the-belly pants after baby gets here. That could be b/c I have c-sections and am extra bloated, or it could be because I've got a thicker frame to begin with; I'm not really sure. It could also be because my over-belly pants have a stretchier/thinner band (all motherhood maternity brand) and so aren't loose on me at all at any point in my pregnancies. I guess if you have a vaginal delivery you could try the first tri trick and get belly bands and wear your regular pre-pregnancy pants with the band to "close" them.
    For tops, I usually keep out a few of my pregnancy tops from the first and second tri's that aren't too obviously maternity tops and then wear cardigans or sweater jackets over them. Otherwise, I would say to maybe try your local Goodwill, thrift stores, or ebay for cheap sweaters/tops. All three can be pretty hit or miss, but I've gotten some great things for pretty low prices recently (like you, I found myself needing more "wintry" clothing but didn't want to spend a ton for just a few weeks). I also just tried buying maternity tops at Walmart for the first time (average price was about $10) and was pleasantly surprised at the selection, quality, and fit - plus, bonus, if something doesn't work out you can just return it to a store. You could also try buying "tall" size sweaters (JCPenney has a great selection of talls) - they have extra length to get you through the rest of your pregnancy but no funky maternity bands or scrunching on the sides. The downside there is that they might be too long on you after baby gets here.
    Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Great post, as I have been wondering this myself as a FTM.

For me, when my hips started getting bigger... a lot of my pre-PG shirts got too tight to wear around that area so I struggled a lot. I was still wearing some basic pre-PG tops, but couldn't wear any button-ups and those that were tighter around the hips anymore. And since then, they (along with the thickness of my thighs) have expanded even more so there is no way my pre-PG jeans, even with using the rubberband trick, will even fit. I was actually struggling with those to begin with, due to some added weight gain in the months prior to getting PG.

I think my MM pants will work for some time after, as others have said, the over the belly is thinner and will stay up better. Tops, I may still be in maternity tops until I can fit into my other shirts comfortably again. I like that nursing tank idea for underneath and just go from there. I will also probably just live in leggings/comfy pants for awhile when at home and figure something else when I have to leave the house.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly I wore baggy shirts that were easy to nurse with ie: what @slartybartfast said. Button downs, zip up hoodies, t-shirts that were loose enough that I could just pull them up or down to get my LO in to latch. As for pants I didn't wear jeans for at least 6 weeks (big tear and lots of stitches) so everything was stretchy like wide leg yoga pants. Even leggings were too tight around my sensitive stitches for a little while, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case if you didn't have the kind of tear I had. 

• While I was home I typically wore pajama pants or workout pants for bottoms. For tops, I would wear a nursing tank. If I had to go out, I would put on a running tee shirt over the tank.

When I had to go back to work, my pre-preg pants still didnt fit so I went to walmart and bought a few pairs of cheap jeans (that was my work uniform at the time). This time around since I have to dress professional every day, Ill wear my maternity dress pants until my normal ones fit. Ill probably fold the band in half though because all but one pair is full panel. If that doesnt work, Ill buy a pair or two of cheaper dress pants...but I'm not doing that unless I have to.

With only 6 weeks left (5 of work), I am trying to scrape by with what I have...but some of my maternity clothes from my first pregnancy dont fit anymore (I was a size smaller then). Im really down to 4-5 shirts that are work appropriate, 2 are sweaters, and its still pushing 90 degrees here every day. At least my office is cold! As far as non-work clothes go, I basically only have capris that still fit (bought them at 8 months pregnant last time so they were bigger) and some running shirts that I bought 3 sizes bigger than normal a few months ago. I'm also wearing DH's running shirts when my limited supply is dirty. Ill probably still be wearing the bigger running shirts for a while post pregnancy as well on non-work days until my real clothes fit again.

I wouldnt buy anything right now thinking its going to be just for after the babies are born. You really have no idea what size/shape things are going to be...and I found with my first that it changed often. I wore a size 6 pants and small/medium shirts before my first pregnancy. 10 weeks after birth I bought size 12 jeans. 6 months after birth I bought size 10. A few weeks later my old size 8s fit but my 6s never fit...my hips were too wide. Shirts I started in DH's XLs, then within a month I was able to wear a L, and by the time I went back to work at 10 weeks I could wear my medium sized shirts...but never fit smalls again. I also kept 20 pounds that I wasnt planning on. So a lot just depends...it may be best to wait until you NEED something to buy it so you dont waste too much.

Sorry that was a book!
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @sourlemon I appreciate your post!

This is how I feel, and I don't know what to expect being a FTM after baby is born with what size I'll be in, or how long it will take me to wear some of my pre-PG clothes, although as I said before, most were getting tight due to some weight gain I had. Even now at 33 weeks, maternity pants and shirts that I bought early on don't fit anymore, as I have gained more weight. Especially for me in the legs, so pants are getting TOO tight in the thighs but I am making due. Some shirts that I bought in smalls, I have re-bought in mediums cos the smalls are a bit tight; however, back when I bought them... they were huge! So, it's good to know that things like this will change and if have another child.

After this week, I only have 3 weeks of work left, and only 12 working days (Fridays off per vacation/holiday)... so I am just wearing what I have and not buying any more maternity clothes - unless I feel it's something I could wear after, like sitting around the house, or making myself look presentable if I need to run an errand with baby. I only bought 2 pairs of jeans since I do wear business casual 4-days a week, and one of those are now too small... so I am down to one pair of boot cuts (colder weather now, so even my jean capris wouldn't work and they're too small anyway), and a few pairs of leggings.

With my day off next week, I may just go window shop and see what I can find... or see what's in my closet that would still be fine to wear later on. Love all the suggestions/tips, though!

• I needed to get some sort of jacket since I'm not due until 12/30. I settled on a fleece zip up from Old Navy and ended up paying about $20. It's a little big on me right now, but I figure when I'm full belly it'll be great. Plus PP I can layer under it. $20 well spent IMO.

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1005663&vid=1&pid=344946002 

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Last time, my maternity stuff was practically falling off after a few weeks, so I switched to a larger size of jeans that I bought from a local Craigslist gal who had lost weight.  They lasted me a few months before I lost enough weight to go down another size.  I worked at home, so I wore lots of yoga pants and oversized shirts with my nursing tank underneath.  I have a few pair of LLR leggings that I can still wear now, so I imagine those would be good afterwards also. 
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• I wore my maternity pants for a couple weeks after DS with the full panel and some of my maternity tops that we're low and could be pulled down for  nursing. At home, it was baggy shorts, nursing tanks and DHs tees all the way! If you wanted to dress it up a little, I'm a big fan of pulling maxi skirts up and wearing them as a dress, which works really well during and after pregnancy. I also second lularoe. I wear the same size now that I do pre pregnancy so its not a waste of money.
  • Yoga pants, leggings, loose dresses/tops with layers like a cardigan. 
    I wore some maternity pants and tank tops loooooong after I had my daughter. Oh, and full panel maternity leggings are the bomb forever. I've also heard really great things about LLR for post partum. 
  • Yoga pants and leggings for bottoms. I bought 1 pair of "size up" jeans a few months pp with DS (I had a c-section and my incision was really uncomfortable so pants were hard!) because my hips were different and I didn't drop weight as quickly as I'd hoped. I'm pretty sure I wore some maternity pants when I went back to work as well. I have a decent collection of LLR leggings already, so I'm assuming they will be my uniform for when I'm around the house this time.

For tops, I had a HUGE collection of nursing tanks from Target with DS, watch for sales. I wore them constantly, even when I went back to work because it make pumping easier. And cardigans. TONS of cardigans. But I wear cardigans all the time anyway. I'm wearing them a lot now as well because the temperatures are crazy. I found a few super cheap (~$5 each) maternity sweaters at Old Navy over the summer and I've pulled those out of the closet as well recently. I'll probably wear those pp as well, there isn't anything overly maternity about them. 

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my first my belly shrunk down almost to normal in about 2 weeks post birth. Although my son was a June baby I could wear my normal clothes days after having him, but I wore loose stuff for awhile. Personally, when my daughter is born I'll be wearing yoga pants, jeans, and oversized sweaters until I'm comfortable with how my body looks again. Maternity stuff may stay in the mix for a couple of weeks and then as needed. 
  • maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited November 2016
    Generally I just do the rubberband trick again with my regular jeans because I hate maternity jeans (starting about a week PP). I don't do yoga pants or leggings (unless under dresses/skirts) ... just not my look. I wear lots of button ups, flannels, baggy sweaters, and a scarf to hid or balance my pooch. I wear target tanks under most of my clothes because you can pull down from the next and they cover the tummy while nursing... or a nursing tank. Also... if nursing realize most dresses don't work unless they button down or are low cut. Skirts and tops work better. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Still reading this information for what I should buy or look for in stores (or even in my closet) PP. My hips have gotten bigger, so I highly doubt ANY of my pants/jeans will fit - even with the rubberband trick. I had gained some weight before getting PG and was struggling with them... even sizing up. I may just wear lounge around clothes when I am at home, and then figure out what to wear when I (we) go out. Or hit up a consignment place and cross my fingers I can find something cheap that will work for a couple months.

• I always put on weight in my hips and thighs when I'm pregnant so my regular pants don't fit for at least a couple of months.  Maternity pants only stay up for a couple of weeks though, so I usually buy a couple of pairs of cheap jeans from Old Navy or somewhere in the price range, and still wear my maternity tops.  My chest is huge so they don't look weird.  Having said that though, I do love my flannel PJ bottoms when I'm hanging out at home.
  • After buying scrubs this weekend...I'd totally recommend them for post partum. Holy moly they are comfy. 

• Scrub pants. I didn't bother with shirts cuz that would be weird.