Baby Names

Would a daycare duplicate stop you from using a name?

Hi everyone! I recently found out that I am having a girl. I've been tossing around a bunch of names and keep coming back to one that I love (Juliet). The problem is, my son goes to a very small daycare (like 15 kids, maybe?) and one of the girls is named Juliet. Would that stop you from using a name? It seems like such a silly reason NOT to use a name because daycare is so short lived...but somehow, it's still bothering me...thoughts??
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Would a daycare duplicate stop you from using a name?

• I get the impetus behind the doubt, but I think a daycare classmate is far enough removed to not be an issue, if it were a family member or friend I'd be more hesitant. 

Agree with this. Classmates are one thing, closer folks are another.

Case in point: I LOVE the name Seamus... always have... but the dog down the street has that name, and they call out to him in the yard and everyone on the street hears it and knows it... so, for me, it's automatically off the list. Too close. Day care, though, isn't quite so close for comfort. (And Juliet is a super pretty name: classic, normal, easy to pronounce and spell, not made up, and not uber-popular that there would be 5 others in the same class. And also is a name that could grow into adulthood. Those are my personal boxes to tick.)
  • Loading the player...
  • SKZW , I tick through the exact same set of boxes when trying to pick a name and I've had such a hard time even coming up with a short list of girl names that I like. I'm still working on building it out, but want at least a few names in the running and keep coming back to Juliet. And I love the name Seamus, but agree--a dog down the street would make it tough. 
  • No, not unless I was friends with the parents.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• It wouldn't matter to me unless it was someone that I interact closely with outside of daycare. 
  • This is a easy one, use it! Now, my neighbor has a Scarlett and my dream girl name is Charlotte! Literally sounds like the exact same name. Lol. Plus, it's just too popular now. Also, I had a baby boy! :) 
  • I would definitely use it. Like everyone has said, daycare is only for a short time. I would think if you like it that much you might look back and think it wasn't a big deal. 
    Go for it! It's a beautiful name. 
  • Thanks, everyone! I still love the name but it might get nixed by the husband, anyway. He thinks it's too generic. BOO! Naming is a tough game! 
  • Kipperoo said:
    Hi everyone! I recently found out that I am having a girl. I've been tossing around a bunch of names and keep coming back to one that I love (Juliet). The problem is, my son goes to a very small daycare (like 15 kids, maybe?) and one of the girls is named Juliet. Would that stop you from using a name? It seems like such a silly reason NOT to use a name because daycare is so short lived...but somehow, it's still bothering me...thoughts??
    @Kipperoo

That would not prevent me from using the name Juliet.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Kipperoo said:
    Thanks, everyone! I still love the name but it might get nixed by the husband, anyway. He thinks it's too generic. BOO! Naming is a tough game! 

I do not think it is generic at all. You hear Julia, Julie far more often..
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Even a family member (ie: cousins kids) would not make me give up a name if I really loved it.  My cousin often says to her sister that she "stole" her other sisters name. *eye*roll* Youngest sister isn't even engaged let alone thinking about kids.  

Don't let this bother you. If you don't do it, you might regret it later on. :) 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie