January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 10/31

2»

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 10/31

• @cjs260 my mom had two very difficult pregnancies, I was ready for a hellish experience (I'm 10 years older than she was when she started having kids), but so far I've had a completely uncomplicated pregnancy. My mom was put on bed rest for a few weeks in her second trimester when she was pregnant with me, and with my sister she was on bed rest again, for the entire third trimester. We'll see how my delivery goes!
  • Question for STM+ moms: at my childbirth class last week the instructor made a really big deal about bringing our own sleepwear and not wearing the hospital gowns. This hadn't even occurred to me. Did you find the hospital gowns uncomfortable? Is it worth bringing  a nightgown? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @marynog I ditched the hospital gown asap after delivery and didn't look back.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @MaryNog I'm a FTM but after our recent hospital stay, I came home and immediately ordered a nursing nightgown from Motherhood Maternity. I plan on wearing it after he's born. I was so hot in the stupid hospital gown (I can't even imagine how it would be with the hormone fluctuations after birth) and it wouldn't stay closed in the back. I know I'll want to be comfortable during our stay (and preferably pants free) and the nursing nightgown also provides a level of modesty while visitors are in the room. I had a code for 20% off so I think it was $25 with tax and S&H. 
  • With my first I just stayed in the gowns the hospital provided. I found them easy to move around in and could just pull it down when I needed to nurse. I might bring my own this time, just in case I feel like changing. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  •  MaryNog said:
    Question for STM+ moms: at my childbirth class last week the instructor made a really big deal about bringing our own sleepwear and not wearing the hospital gowns. This hadn't even occurred to me. Did you find the hospital gowns uncomfortable? Is it worth bringing  a nightgown? 
    I brought a nightgown and robe last time and I'm hoping to bring at least a nightgown this time.  It made me feel more at home than a hospital gown would've.  I wore the robe at all times because the nightgown was a nursing nightgown and things kept popping out haha.  I don't remember being too warm as PP have mentioned, but I'm generally cold rather than warm and DD was born in June so AC would've been running.  
  • I'm going to order my own this weekend too. Like @christac1010 said, I wore the gowns and I was NOT impressed. They have cut outs for your boobs for nursing that are so ridiculous looking that I laughed aloud when I put it on. And then they give you this other robe that you can put over it for modesty purposes. All of the nurses agree they are horrible and must have been designed by a man because they are ridiculous and not even really functional for nursing anyway. If you have you've bought and like, please let me know because I am definitely in the market!
  • @marynog meh. I wore the hospital gowns because I was adamant that if I was gonna bleed on anything it wasn't gonna be my own clothes. I didn't find them uncomfortable or anything but they're far from flattering. 
  • @BriannaE129129 I just toured with a pediatrician on Tuesday and he recommends DH getting the TDAP because 30% of cases where the baby comes down with it is because of the father. Now to figure out where to go for these shots and not spend too much $$$...

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• PMForbie said:
    @BriannaE129129 I just toured with a pediatrician on Tuesday and he recommends DH getting the TDAP because 30% of cases where the baby comes down with it is because of the father. Now to figure out where to go for these shots and not spend too much $$$...
    Walgreens does them for a decent price I believe. Just call ahead to make sure they have them at the location you want to go to. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• @MaryNog, I wore the hospital gown for the first day since there was still a lot of blood going on, but then on Day 2 I changed into a nursing nightgown/robe (mine was dark blue). I felt more myself in that.  I wore it at home a bunch too.
    Jan. 2017 Sept. Siggy Challenge - Pumpkin Spice Gone TOO Far!

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 2/3/16 --> MC 2/13/16

• I wore the hospital gown until after delivery and then changed afterwards into my own nightgown once I was able to take a shower. It goes a long way to help you feel more put together to be in your own clothes. 
  • Nursing night gown and yoga pants/nursing tank tops. Those were my best friends in the hospital...hell, they were my best friends for the first 6 months. I have like 6 of these from last time that I will be using again. You can wear them all day, they hold your nursing pads perfectly and I just threw a robe on over it. 

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-henley-cami-gilligan-o-malley/-/A-13957172

BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • I wore the hospital gown the entire time I was in the hospital with DD. There was so much bleeding that I didn't want to risk ruining any of my clothing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Seconding what @karaelaine1991 said about your body cleaning itself out before labor. Except mine didn't start until after my water broke. I probably went to the bathroom 7-8 times before heading to the hospital and then again once we got there. Good news? No pooping on the table while pushing! 

Regarding hospital gowns, I wore it the whole time I was in the hospital. It's not flattering but it was convenient and I didn't worry about bleeding on it. I may bring my own this time for the day after. Pro tip: don't bother with pants. The nurses come by and check your vag/stitches/bleeding multiple times a day. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I brought my own yoga pants, nursing tops and robe last time. I wore the hospital gown the first night and changed the next morning. This time I'll bring yoga pants, nursing tanks and a long button down sleep shirt. 
  • Thanks for the advice, ladies! 
  •  MaryNog said:
    Question for STM+ moms: at my childbirth class last week the instructor made a really big deal about bringing our own sleepwear and not wearing the hospital gowns. This hadn't even occurred to me. Did you find the hospital gowns uncomfortable? Is it worth bringing  a nightgown? 
    I brought my own, but for sentimental reasons. I wanted to wear my DH's shirt (he wasn't there) for any pictures of DD1 and I when she was born. my birthing center gowns were super comfortable though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @cjs260 ah, got it. 
  • @BriannaE129129 My midwife suggested that I get TDAP shot while in my 3rd tri because then the immunity would be passed down to my baby. But she also said that my husband and anyone who is handling the baby should have one as well.  The CDC recommends having it in the 3rd tri fro each pregnancy. https://www.cdc.gov/features/tdap-in-pregnancy/ They gave it to me at my 28 week appointment so I think it is covered by my insurance...

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • STM's: We are getting an infant seat with our travel system, but there's a deal on a good all-in-one convertible seat adn I'm thinking of getting that, too, since we'll need it eventually. Here's my question though...it goes up to 110lbs because it turns into a booster seat when the time comes. About how long does it take for a child to outgrow the convertible seat and need a booster? Don't carseats expire after 4years? I'm wondering if the carseat would expire before we could even get the full use out of it and need to buy a booster seat anyway. Thanks!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • katesmama0706katesmama0706 member
    edited November 2016
    @sweetyjenj when your child outgrows their seat and moves to a booster varies greatly between kids, same with infant seat to convertible since it all depends on their height and weight for the most part. We bought the graco 4ever for DD and actually got a second one for this baby. We used it from day 1 rather than using an infant bucket seat and she's 16 months and still rear facing in it and based on her growth charts I'd expect her to not be ready to forward face until she's closer to 3 honestly. For us it was worth the investment even though it might expire before we need it as a booster simply because we've only had to buy 1 seat for her. 
    ETA: short version: I'd buy the convertible while it's on sale since you'll get use out of it but if you can get a less expensive one/one that doesnt have the booster only feature that's okay too since they all meet the same basic safety requirements

As far as expiration dates I really wanna say convertibles are 6 years? But I could be wrong. It should say on your seat or on the manufacturers website how long that seat is good for. 
  • STM's: We are getting an infant seat with our travel system, but there's a deal on a good all-in-one convertible seat adn I'm thinking of getting that, too, since we'll need it eventually. Here's my question though...it goes up to 110lbs because it turns into a booster seat when the time comes. About how long does it take for a child to outgrow the convertible seat and need a booster? Don't car seats expire after 4years? I'm wondering if the car seat would expire before we could even get the full use out of it and need to buy a booster seat anyway. Thanks!
    We registered and got both our infant seat/travel system, and convertible seat for DD1. It goes by weight and height so there's no real telling. She's turning five in three weeks and still has tons of room to grow. I won't be putting her in a booster until probably seven.
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • Any of you have a dual camera (for two different bedrooms) that you absolutely love? We had a single video monitor we used for DS but the receiver broke and to buy a new receiver and an additional camera would be almost equivalent to buying a new system that has better technology. Even though our DS is almost 4 he was recently sick with a really high fever for a couple days and I hated not being able to watch him and was constantly checking on him.  I would like a split screen or picture in picture feature, thermostat and two way communicate. (Not picky at all, right?  :D) I'm not picky when it comes to wifi enabled or wireless although those would be a plus. However, I saw a scary segment on the news about hackers accessing wifi monitors and streaming them on pediphile websites!  :s

Also wondering if anyone has used/purchased a sit and stand stroller with infant carrier feature possibly using a Britax B-Safe carrier? Our son is near 40lbs so I need a double stroller where I can actually steer it and have the carrier in it. 

Slightly jealous of all you FTM's because you get to buy all the baby stuff and get excited! These are our only two things we technically need. 
  • @BrennansMom2012 no advice but I'm searching for a new 2 camera one too! And yeah I'm terrified of wifi ones cause of that news segment. My DH assures me we'd be okay because our wifi is so locked down but omg! 
  • @BrennansMom2012 @katesmama0706 I just got the Summer Infant Dual View color monitor. I set it up this week and started using it in DD's room to get used to it. The screen is big and you can view both rooms at the same time (split screen). You can toggle back and forth on which room you want sound from. It has two way communication so you can talk to the kids AND you can pan the camera up/down and side to side from the monitor. So if your older kiddo gets out of bed, you can scan the room to find him :smile:

I did a lot of research and this one had the best reviews. So far I like it, the screen is really clear and you can double zoom. We'll see how it does once baby gets here. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @LastMango this unit is in my top 3 and the price point is where I want to be. I didnt know you could pan it up and down! That's a nice feature to have! Thank you for sharing. I wanted to get mine before the baby comes as well, great minds!  ;) 
  • @BrennansMom2012 we got a foscam digital monitor last time with DD and it was great, until
    it wasn't. We had a lot of problems with it cutting out, freezing, visual changes after a year. I notice it's not really a top pick anymore lIke it was 2 years ago. In a panic to replace it recently i went with the more basic version of the summer infant that @LastMango mentioned. It doesn't pan and tilt or have two way communication and the sound cuts out already. I'm going to send it back and get the better version or this camera:
  • Does anyone use a monitor/ camera system that pairs with your phone? Looking for recommendations. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @AshleySparkle720 that would be me. I'm up to 20 pairs. People keep buying baby socks and I'm letting them!
  • @KAShock we got a nest camera bundle- they'll pair with our phones (we already have nest thermostats- which are totally amazing- and nest protect, so this was an easy choice for us)

We so also have angelcare movement and sound monitors though, which is a separate receiver so if we hear them then we can take a peek (I wanted to have the option of being reassured without staring at them constantly because I *might* be neurotic/ high strung and I don't want to be glued to the monitor!)  :D
  • @KAShock we got a nest camera bundle- they'll pair with our phones (we already have nest thermostats- which are totally amazing- and nest protect, so this was an easy choice for us)

We so also have angelcare movement and sound monitors though, which is a separate receiver so if we hear them then we can take a peek (I wanted to have the option of being reassured without staring at them constantly because I *might* be neurotic/ high strung and I don't want to be glued to the monitor!)  :D
    I love my angel care monitor especially when they're still really little!

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Who asked about how many newborn socks to have? #team200,000pairsofsocks
    Last time, my MIL had her first grade class make us "diaper babies." They rolled up newborn diapers, secured them with a rubber band, drew a smiley face on them and stuck a sock on top for a hat.  They were SO cute and super helpful to us - easy-to-grab diapers and a huge supply of socks! I wish I had a picture to share, but it was one of my favorite baby shower gifts :)
  • Ok so..... pressure mounted baby gates vs hardware installed?? Which do you all prefer? are the pressure mounted safe enough?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ok so..... pressure mounted baby gates vs hardware installed?? Which do you all prefer? are the pressure mounted safe enough?

Hardware installed are much sturdier if that's an option.  We rent and our landlords allow us to use hardware installed on walls but not on anything with wood,  so we have to use pressure mounted on doorframes and the staircase.  At the top of the stairs, we have a gate that is pressure mounted and reinforced with velcro on one side (the side with the banister) and drilled into the wall on the other side.  The side attached to the banister is always coming loose and moving around. it's better than nothing, but definitely not ideal.  If you're able to, I'd go with the hardware. 
  • @BriannaE129129 for top of stairs-hardware 100% 
  • @BriannaE129129 definitely hardware gates in "higher risk" areas. pressure ones are nice for blocking off laundry rooms, hallways, etc.

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • We have pressure mounted gates at the top and bottom of our stairs. They work great and our toddler is rough on them. 
  • My dog (only 20# but a total dick) destroys almost  all pressure mounted gates except for the super old school ones that are a pain to use  :|