January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 10/31

Happy Halloween!

What's on your mind this week?

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 10/31

• How long did you sleep with baby? Until they were able to sleep though the night, for a set amount of time, etc.? We bought a twin bed that is staying in the nursery so I can sleep there and Baby won't disturb DH through the night and DH's snoring won't keep me awake while running on precious little sleep, but I don't want to spend 6-12 months in the nursery away from DH.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Probably until about 4 months? Hard to remember, but we moved her to the nursery when she was consistently only waking to nurse 1-2 times a night. Prior to that, it was just easier to have her next to me to feed and put back down. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • PMForbie said:
    How long did you sleep with baby? Until they were able to sleep though the night, for a set amount of time, etc.? We bought a twin bed that is staying in the nursery so I can sleep there and Baby won't disturb DH through the night and DH's snoring won't keep me awake while running on precious little sleep, but I don't want to spend 6-12 months in the nursery away from DH.
    We slept with her until she was 3 months old.  we were told that was the recommendation for SIDS but I've also more recently heard 6 months and as much as a year (article is in FB group :) ). I plan to speak with our family doctor about what we should do this time. I'm hoping she'll say we can go ahead with what we did last time and then move her in with DD but we'll follow whatever she recommends.  

The twin bed idea is a really good one;we did that last time too and there were definitely a few nights when it came in handy! 
  • DS was in our room until 6/7 months.  We were ready to have our room back and DS was sleeping in much longer stretches. Plus, I feel like he was waking up and smelling me/breastmilk and just wanting to nurse (not because he needed to), if that makes sense.  Our plan is 6 months this time unless they're ready to move in with DS earlier.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did about three months, and then a while of her falling asleep with me in our bed, and the my husband would mover her to her crib when he came up. 
  • The SIDS recommendation is 6 months and ideally a year but I know we weren't even close to that long. Nobody slept. We woke up the baby, I was always hopping up to make sure she didn't wake up DH but me getting up woke him anyway. I think we did about 2 months? Then she moved right down the hall and was sleeping through the night anyway. This baby will be on a different floor so she'll probably stay in our room longer but I can't see it lasting much longer than once she sleeps through the night. 
  • We had planned for 3/4 months. At 8 weeks DS started sleeping longer stretches, around 5/6 hours so we moved him to his room. Going to his room once a night wasn't bad and I felt like we all actually slept better once he was in there. We kept the pack n play in our room though because there were still some nights where he was up multiple times. Usually after a 3rd wake up I would just bring him back to our room for the rest of the night. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DS slept with us for a week, mainly due to my csection and it being able to nurse him there. Then he was moved to his crib in his room. The majority of the time DH never heard him cry on the monitor, and since I was feeding him I'd just get him and go sit on the couch and nurse him. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Ours slept in our room for two years due to space issues at the time (2bdrm house, 1 room an office) so that was a little long. He also didn't sleep through the night so I was up a lot with him. Even now, he comes into our room and crawls into bed with us about 3 times a week. 

With this one, I'm planning for her to be in our room for the first year at the most (kids rooms are across the house and that trek is too long in the middle of the night in my sleep deprived state). My husband doesn't wake for anything so it's more convenient for me to have her nearby in the middle of the night. 
  • I slept in the same room as my DD until I started going back to work at 8 weeks. We were also pretty fortunate and she turned out to be a great sleeper so by then she was only waking 1-2 (MAYBE 3) times per night. This time around I get to stay home for 4 months. I don't think I want to sleep on the couch/nursery/etc. for that long but it will all depend on when we start seeing longer stretches of sleep. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Pumpkin Spice Gone to Far| Jan '17 September Siggy Challenge

• We plan on having this baby in our room till she sleeps through the night. Then we will move her in with DD2 across the hall.
  • Hey everyone, I know you guys talked about what contractions feel like, and I guess I am a little confused at the moment. A bit ago I simply rested my hand on my belly, like I tend to do lately, and it felt very hard. I sat up straight and it loosened only a very little bit. I wasn't feeling anything in regards to pain, just normal as always. But if I pressed my belly below my belly button, it wasn't hard at all.

Could this be LO pressing his butt or his foot up against me? Should a contraction have that rock hard feeling on the entire belly/uterus? This felt like it was just the top half of my belly, and it went away in about 10-20 seconds
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @karaelaine1991 from what I understand, part of the reason the SIDS risk is reduced is because the carbon dioxide you exhale helps to stimulate baby's breathing. So if your babe is going to be sharing a room with your DD when she moves out of yours, the benefit would still theoretically be there. 

I'm hoping to keep the baby in our room until 4-6 months. But, FTM here, and also a super light sleeper, so we'll see how it goes. 

• KRB22 said:
    @karaelaine1991 from what I understand, part of the reason the SIDS risk is reduced is because the carbon dioxide you exhale helps to stimulate baby's breathing. So if your babe is going to be sharing a room with your DD when she moves out of yours, the benefit would still theoretically be there. 

I'm hoping to keep the baby in our room until 4-6 months. But, FTM here, and also a super light sleeper, so we'll see how it goes. 

That's what I've heard and I'm hoping that will be the case! just want to check with our doctor to be sure :) 
  • We kept him in our room for the first 3-4 months. He was and still is a pretty heavy great sleeper. I kept him in there that long for my sake. I woke up almost every hour those few months to make sure he was still breathing. It will probably be the same this time around.
  • @AlicjaB yes, a contraction will make your whole uterus hard. You are likely correct that it was his butt or back pressing in that one spot.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I feel like I've had times when my whole stomach gets rock hard, but it's for a very long period of time. There's no way I could time it. It lasts for minutes. I have no idea if this is some kind of BH or what. Or just my stomach getting distended from gas or overeating!
  • @PMForbie my daughter slept in a rock in play in our room until she was 4 months old and then started rolling. We moved her to a crib in her nursery, where I slept with her until she was 6 months old. At that point, my back was messed up from the futon so I moved back to my room. 
  • @AlicjaB likely just positioning. Like pp said, a contraction will make your entire belly hard. I wouldn't worry too much though. For me, labor contractions felt NOTHING like Braxton hicks. I didn't even know that I was in labor because I felt Braxton hicks at the top of my uterus and actual cervix changing contractions incredibly low. 
  • PMForbie said:
    How long did you sleep with baby? Until they were able to sleep though the night, for a set amount of time, etc.? We bought a twin bed that is staying in the nursery so I can sleep there and Baby won't disturb DH through the night and DH's snoring won't keep me awake while running on precious little sleep, but I don't want to spend 6-12 months in the nursery away from DH.
    DD slept in the bassinet next to me until she grew out of it at 8 weeks. this time if dh's snoring is disturbing I'll go in the guest room with her. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Somewhere I know that there was a thread about jogging strollers, but I can't find it anywhere.  Does anyone have experience with the Thule Urban Glide Sport Stroller?  Thoughts?  
  • newyearsbaby5newyearsbaby5 member
    edited November 2016
    @juliebird6 we are getting the Thule Urban Glide! FTM so I don't have experience with it, but every review we read made it sound like the right stroller for us. It's lightweight and easy to fold up which is what I loved best about it. We checked it out in the store and are excited. My husband is also a major bike nerd and Thule products we have experience with seem to be very dependable, made in America, great warranties. Seems like a great stroller.
  • @newyearsbaby5 - that's what we thought too when we saw it in the store.  All of my research had me thinking that I wanted a Bob but when we tested it out, I thought it was really hard to use, and loved the Thule instead.  I just wasn't sure if anyone else had used the Thule for any period of time and had anything positive to say to reaffirm our choice!  I'm glad to hear you had a similar opinion of it though.  Some of these joggers are so expensive, it's hard to make a commitment.  I don't want to have buyer's remorse!
  • So I was talking with my mom last night about all of her pregnancies and deliveries. She had to be induced for all three of them. I am the first born and was three weeks (!!!!) past due before they stripped her membranes. I came along like 36 hours later. Obviously, I know that one pregnancy has no bearing on another, but has anyone found that their labors/deliveries have gone similarly to their mom's? 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• @cjs260 ME! Which is why I'm planning on a natural birth. My mom had my sister and I both pretty quick, so no drugs and since I've inherited everything else from her pregnancies so far (not gaining a ton of weight, no morning sickness, no weird cravings, heartburn, etc)I'm just going with it. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • cjs260 said:
    So I was talking with my mom last night about all of her pregnancies and deliveries. She had to be induced for all three of them. I am the first born and was three weeks (!!!!) past due before they stripped her membranes. I came along like 36 hours later. Obviously, I know that one pregnancy has no bearing on another, but has anyone found that their labors/deliveries have gone similarly to their mom's? 
    So, my mom's experiences  with 4 of her 5 pregnancies were exactly like your mom's.  The only one that wasn't was because she had a c section at 37 weeks for the twins - they wouldn't let her go past that.  With that in mind, I was fully expecting DD to be born late.  She was actually born the day before her due date without any need for induction (I did have my waters broken but I was over 8cm dilated and she was clearly on her way so I was just speeding up the process.... in hindsight I wish I'd put more thought into it but I was loopy from my epidural and it all worked out well so whatever).  So, in my case, I had a very different experience from my mom.  I don't know if there are any statistics showing a relationship between the experiences of moms and daughters, but regardless, I'd recommend mentally preparing yourself to be super late, but having your house ready for you to be early just in case. 
  • @karaelaine1991 I'm definitely mentally prepared to go way over. But I really, really don't want to be induced. So I'm hoping to hear a bunch of stories like yours to make me feel better, haha! 

• My first was totally different from my mom and older sister. Like @karaelaine1991 suggests, just be mentally ready and also have everything ready to go at home. Out of curiosity @cjs260 why don't you want to be induced?
  • cjs260 said:
    @karaelaine1991 I'm definitely mentally prepared to go way over. But I really, really don't want to be induced. So I'm hoping to hear a bunch of stories like yours to make me feel better, haha! 
    This is gross, but the biggest hint I got that labor was coming was that I had to go to the bathroom all.the.time. like, every 30 minutes.  I later read that that's very normal; your body is clearing itself out in preparation for labor. So if you're a week over and your doctors want you to schedule an induction but you REALLY don't want to, if you're going to the bathroom a lot (not peeing, btw), tell them you want to put it off for a bit longer unless your baby medically needs to come out for whatever reason.  this started for me 2-3 days before my "for real" contractions started, and those went on irregularly for about 36 hours before I went to the hospital. 
  • @cjs260 Mine was somewhat similar in a way. My mom was pregnant with twins (my sister and I) and I think the doctor thought she would go into labor before 39 weeks, which she didn't. She had to be induced during her 39th week. I went into labor on my own 41+ 2 days and was scheduled to be induced at 41+3 so I just made it before my induction date. My twin sister also went late and was scheduled for an induction at 40+5. We all managed to have vaginal deliveries though. It must be a genetic thing in our family, although I definitely know that's not the case with others. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had something I really wanted to ask but guess what.... I forgot! (shocker) 

But i have another one! My midwife and I were talking about the flu shot, which i recommended my family get, and then that brought up the TDAP with whooping cough shot and she thought since I already had it that my family wouldn't need to because the baby should pick up immunity from me. Is anyone else's doctor making their husband or family get this? Just curious...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @BriannaE129129 yep! Anyone who will spend time with baby is supposed to get it. My OB said as long as they've had it in the last 10 years they're still current. 

I was crazy enough to want my parents and husband to get titers drawn to prove immunity. My OB says they're gone.
  • Both my brother and I came two weeks early. My moms labor with me was very quick and fairly long with my brother. 

My first was 3 days early and labor was 12 hours from the time I was admitted to when my son was born. I would love for this one to come two weeks early, but I'm expecting to go pretty close to my due date again
  • @BriannaE129129 DH and I already have ours, and I am requiring anyone who comes to see our baby to have both a current TDAP and flu shot. Whooping cough is at an all time high and a baby can die from it or from the flu. Yes, baby will get immunities from you but the less they are exposed to those germs the better so everyone gets one over here or no baby for you. 
  • Question about baby dropping. Just now I was laying on the couch and felt a lot of pressure really low. It lasted a minute or so and then stopped. Now the top of my belly is super soft and I don't feel feet on my ribs anymore. My whole belly just feels totally different than it has for the past few months. Could baby start dropping as early as 28 weeks? Im not having any pain or anything remotely close to a contraction so im not worried about labor or anything like that, I just wasn't sure if it's possible for baby to drop this early or if it's most likely he just switched positions on me. 

I don't remember when my first dropped, or if I just didn't even realize when he dropped as a FTM lol
  • cjs260 said:
    @Parley I'm in the school of thought that one medical intervention sets you up for the next one. Close to 50% of inductions (both medical and scheduled) end up with a C-section. As a believer in Science, I think that biology has given us the tools to have babies the best way possible (in most cases). Now don't misunderstand, I am extremely grateful for modern medicine, and I understand how many lives of both moms and babies it saves. And I will never turn down a necessary medical intervention. But I really want to try to have a natural birth experience, and I feel like the chances of that happening are less if I have to be induced. I will add the disclaimer that I in no way judge anyone for having a certain type of birth. It's a very personal choice that should be thoroughly discussed between a patient and her caregiver. 
    YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• edited November 2016
    I had something I really wanted to ask but guess what.... I forgot! (shocker) 

But i have another one! My midwife and I were talking about the flu shot, which i recommended my family get, and then that brought up the TDAP with whooping cough shot and she thought since I already had it that my family wouldn't need to because the baby should pick up immunity from me. Is anyone else's doctor making their husband or family get this? Just curious...
    Last time, I got it and MIL got it, because her first grade class came down with it the week of my baby shower.  I didn't ask anyone else to get it because DD was born in June which is not typically a sick season. I guess I was taking a chance on that one but it turned out fine.  

This time, my doctor said I don't have to get it because I got it so recently,  which also puts MIL in the clear.  he did recommend that DH get it and DH has agreed to it (but I am likely going to have to make the appointment for him because he sucks at scheduling things, especially things he doesn't want to do like get shots). The only other person who I'm considering asking to get it is my mom because she'll be staying with us for a week and works in schools as an ESL teacher, one of which is an elementary school.  I'm not going to be asking anyone else because I personally feel really awkward asking someone to get a vaccine. I am going to be a total control freak about hand sanitizer use and not visiting if one feels even slightly ill, though. 
  • ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited November 2016
    @cjs260 my first delivery was almost identical to my mom's first. We both had non kickers. We both delivered at 40+5. Both of our babies were in distress. Both had meconium and struggled a bit. She, however, needed a c section. 
  • @ThePax89 Noooooo, I'm going to pout because that isn't the response I wanted....