Babies: 3 - 6 Months

I'm not sure how to tittle this but i need advice

I have recently started solids a bit earlier than i wanted due to pressure from my future in laws, my lo was 4 months 3 weeks when i finally gave in and she is 5 months 1 week now. Up until that time she was ebf and i think she was on her way to becoming a good sleeper, 5-6 hours with the occasional 7 hour stretch of sleep at night. After starting solids, she only woke up once at night to feed then slept until around 8 am. For a moment i felt maybe i didn't make a bad decision, and her bed time is usually between 7-8pm. But that only lasted for 3 nights and she only pooped once a day as opposed to 2-3 times a day while she was ebf( feeding on demand). Fast forward to now, she will only take 3 30min naps every 2 hours and at night we go through trying to get her to stay asleep and when she finally does, she will sleep for 4 hours and wake up every two hours from there and she only poops every 3 days which I'm low-key concerned about. Someone suggested cutting the afternoon nap but wouldn't that just get her cranky which will ad to my problems. I guess my question is that should i cut back or increase the solid food? At first i gave her a lot and i stopped cause she wasn't nursing as much so now i give her two spoons mixed with breast milk to make it less thick. If i don't make any sense please don't judge, I'm not getting much rest and i can't even remember the last time i had time to myself. (Totally unrelated) i dream about some me time but i guilt myself into staying,

Re: I'm not sure how to tittle this but i need advice

• Solids at this age are NOT a replacement for breast milk/formula. They are essentially a treat. Keep that in mind. 

As far as poops go, with the addition of solids, LO's poops are going to change. For us, DD has 1 less poop per day (2-3), but the consistency of it is thicker, darker and stinkier. We are only feeding her 2-3 TABLESPOONS of solids every day, and we follow her lead. If she starts spitting it out or refusing the spoon, we stop and feed her 2-4 oz of formula (because I'm no longer BF'ing). 

For the sleeping, I would also follow her lead and cut the mid afternoon nap. We did with DD and she's now sleeping a longer first stretch (7/7:30pm-11:30/12am), but we are still waking up every 3-4 hours after that. Which I'll gladly take as opposed to every 2 hours all night long. 

Our pediatrician actually suggested us start solids at 4 months, so we did. We did oatmeal cereal mixed with formula, and started it really soupy. We have gone through the orange/yellow/red veggies so far, most of our green veggies too, and JUST started this morning with cherries and oats. Normally I make my own purees because I like knowing exactly what is going into her body, but we bought one pouch of several different baby purees, and gave her a new one every 4 days (to rule out reactions). This way we can determine which ones she won't eat before I spend time and money making food she won't/can't eat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • She could be going through a sleep regression. It may not have anything to do with the solids. As for the solids. My LO took great to solids. He would eat a pouch mixed with cereal once at first once day. I don't recall him cutting down on formula at that point maybe an ounce or two. Follow the direction of your pediatrician. 
    The poop issue, we had that too but he was formula fed and would at times go two to three days. Try pear purée and if that doesn't work you can ask your pediatrician about prune juice. That always did the trick for us. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO did this - we started solids at 6 months. Up until that time, she was sleeping 9-10 hours at a time (EBF). Since solids, she has been waking for feeds. Initially, like you, she would sleep about 4 hours then wake every 2 hours after that. Now, she mostly wakes once to feed. Still not back to our usual sleep, but improving! I wish I knew the answer, but several of my friends have had the same issue so we are not alone! Hold in there, the sleep will return! 
  • Several of the previous posts have great advice regarding solids and sleep!  We waited until 6 months to start solid and we have had some sleep regression...I think it is mostly due to teeth (your LO could be teething as early as 4 months!) and/or a growth spurt.  Once you think you get them into a good sleep patterned those things can throw it off.  Are you feeding solids right before bed?  It could make you LO's stomach irritated...just another thing to consider.
  • Several of the previous posts have great advice regarding solids and sleep!  We waited until 6 months to start solid and we have had some sleep regression...I think it is mostly due to teeth (your LO could be teething as early as 4 months!) and/or a growth spurt.  Once you think you get them into a good sleep patterned those things can throw it off.  Are you feeding solids right before bed?  It could make you LO's stomach irritated...just another thing to consider.
    I actually did solids right before bed and he slept right through til morning. I should say however that he was always a good sleeper, 4 hour stretches at night since we brought him home from the hospital. 6-8 hours by 10 weeks. We never went through the 4 month sleep regression. He is like my DH he loves to sleep. At almost 14 months he still wants two naps.
  • smn14 said:
    My LO did this - we started solids at 6 months. Up until that time, she was sleeping 9-10 hours at a time (EBF). Since solids, she has been waking for feeds. Initially, like you, she would sleep about 4 hours then wake every 2 hours after that. Now, she mostly wakes once to feed. Still not back to our usual sleep, but improving! I wish I knew the answer, but several of my friends have had the same issue so we are not alone! Hold in there, the sleep will return! 
    Thank you very much for the encouragement.. sleep hasn't been a good friend of ours, it's the perks i guess.. she is a bit better now but I'm wondering after how long did go from runny to a thicker consistency. I'm still giving mine very runny. Fyi, you are fortunate to have a good sleeper and for now i would settle for waking up once to feed.

She has been showing signs of teething on and off from around 4 months. Nothing hectic,, but I'm a first time mom so that was just based mostly on research. How does one really know apart from seeing the actual tooth though. Anyway to answer your question, i give her two spoons before or after her last nap of the day which is usually between 4&5pm since she only naps for 30min.. so I'm not sure if that's late, she baths at 18:30pm and is ready for bed around 20:00pm on a good day.
  • z0w1 said:

Several of the previous posts have great advice regarding solids and sleep!  We waited until 6 months to start solid and we have had some sleep regression...I think it is mostly due to teeth (your LO could be teething as early as 4 months!) and/or a growth spurt.  Once you think you get them into a good sleep patterned those things can throw it off.  Are you feeding solids right before bed?  It could make you LO's stomach irritated...just another thing to consider.
    She has been showing signs of teething on and off from around 4 months. Nothing hectic,, but I'm a first time mom so that was just based mostly on research. How does one really know apart from seeing the actual tooth though. Anyway to answer your question, i give her two spoons before or after her last nap of the day which is usually between 4&5pm since she only naps for 30min.. so I'm not sure if that's late, she baths at 18:30pm and is ready for bed around 20:00pm on a good day.
    You may want to feed the solids closer to bedtime. I would give a bath, then 2 ounces of purée with a little cereal mixed in, then 4 ounces of formula in a bottle. It was then lights out until morning most nights.