January 2017 Moms

Help! Mom's of girls!

I have 2 boys and #3 is a girl!  Anything I should know?  Different items bc it a little lady? TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Help! Mom's of girls!

• @cjs260
    lol  That part I've figured out.  But I've heard pampers are crappy for girls, huggies are better?  True? myth? or preference?  a&d every diaper change, or desitin? or nothing?   That kind of stuff.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When they are babies there's not much difference. They could get utis if left in bath water too long. A lot of stuff is personal preference and the childs personality. 
  • laujam31 said:
    @cjs260
    lol  That part I've figured out.  But I've heard pampers are crappy for girls, huggies are better?  True? myth? or preference?  a&d every diaper change, or desitin? or nothing?   That kind of stuff.  
    Like just about everything else, varies from baby to baby.  we much preferred Pampers for my DD - it's all trial and error, especially the first few weeks.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter only used pampers for the first few months and then switched to target brand. My good friend also had a girl but hated pampers, so I think it depends on the person and baby. 
  • like pp's said- our little girl is much better in pampers. I think it has more to do with how they are built than sex. Just remember it's important to wipe front-to-back and other than that i think they are pretty similar:)
  • I've heard baby boys get baby boners- so you don't have to deal with that. Baby girls do still pee on you during diaper changes. When newborn girls are born, it is common to have vaginal discharge which is often tinged with blood. 
  • We only used pampers for DD. Huggies leaked like crazy. 
    Also DD never had the bleeding but I was told it might happen. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • ThePax89 said:
    I've heard baby boys get baby boners- so you don't have to deal with that. Baby girls do still pee on you during diaper changes. When newborn girls are born, it is common to have vaginal discharge which is often tinged with blood. 
    They do! it's definitely weird at first and you get used to it, but it's makes me laugh at times when I change his diaper first thing in the morning. 
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited October 2016
    If my understanding of what I've heard from friends with babies of both sexes is even remotely correct, the big difference is that with girls you spend a lot of time wiping poop out of their vaginas and with boys, out of their foreskin (if they're uncircumsized). The other stuff is minor and as PPs said, varies from baby to baby.
  • I forgot another thing: some newborn girls will get white stuff in their labia region. It looks like white diaper rash cream, and is hard to remove. I've read that it should not be wiped off. (It takes great effort to get it off anyway).

and yes, what @canavara  said. Lots of poop in the vag. 
  • @laujam31 re: diaper cream. We use a&d but only because I hated the smell of desitin and butt paste and just as needed rather than every change. It's another one of those depends on baby things. Don't stress! When it comes down to it they're pretty much the same as far as newborn care. UTIs from the bathwater are pretty much the only thing I can really think of, but that's another baby to baby thing, girls in general are more prone to them but some baby girls get them all the time and some never do. 
  • When DD was born, her labia was HUGE. Like super swollen, but we were assured that it's very normal post birth with baby girls due to all the hormones. It eventually went back to normal and has stayed that way, but I was not expecting it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I remember when I was really little sometimes my vagina would get irritated and my mom blamed it on the soapy bath water so she put Vaseline down there and it helped. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Don't let your husband's version of changing your daughter's diaper be "dipping her in the sink/splashing water on her bottom with your eyes closed"
    That's what my Dad did to me... They had two boys before and I was the first girl. No wonder I constantly got UTIs.... lol
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • HJMorgan said:
    Don't let your husband's version of changing your daughter's diaper be "dipping her in the sink/splashing water on her bottom with your eyes closed"
    That's what my Dad did to me... They had two boys before and I was the first girl. No wonder I constantly got UTIs.... lol
    This made me giggle!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ladies thanks so much!!!!!!!!  This was all so helpful!!!!.  And @ThePax89  They do! And I still get freaked out every time.  My boys get them in the am and when they are really tired.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @HJMorgan haaaaa! My husband is the total opposite. He always reminds me to make sure her vagina is extra clean. Sweet lord. I have to constantly remind him that as the owner of a vagina, I have it under control. 
  • All of this, and one more vag issue you may see in the first year: labia adhesion. It happens more frequently than I ever knew and does cause irritation if it progresses more than 50%. Your pediatrician will monitor and let you know if it ever is an issue. Our DD1 continues to struggle 4 years later (which is common) and it apparently can be treated but will go away once they start producing estrogen. So, basically we are cronically monitoring her vag, more frequently than we ever imagined.
    And then there were three...

• ThePax89 said:
    I've heard baby boys get baby boners- so you don't have to deal with that. Baby girls do still pee on you during diaper changes. When newborn girls are born, it is common to have vaginal discharge which is often tinged with blood. 
    Oh dear really? My little sister is 10 yeas younger than me, but I didn't help with diaper duty til she was older and my nieces (cousins) only stayed every couple of months with us. We have a biy, and yes, baby bones are honestly kinda funny! But this time were having a girl. My actual nieces I didn't help much with diapers too often as one was 6 months when I met my fiance and I worked alot when the 2nd was born and didn't get to see them often. Are diaper rashes better for girls, like do they get them less?? My son had one constantly, we switched diapers alot and they'd get better then he'd get another. He has really fair skin too though and small patches of eczema. 

• @AndromedaEclipse DD1 had crazy diaper rashes. It took forever for us to get them under control. She has very sensitive skin and eczema. I don't think diaper rash has to do with gender, just how their skin reacts.
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • I kinda figured gender wouldn't have a difference really but I kinda was hoping maybe it would be better this time around. He gets them so bad  and so often.

• Diapers, loved Pampers and worked well for DD1.  We ended up switching eventually to the Target brand and they worked just as well.   DD1 had sensitive skin and we ended up switching to the non scented wipes and using a mix of destin and aquaphor to help when she would breakout.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I kinda figured gender wouldn't have a difference really but I kinda was hoping maybe it would be better this time around. He gets them so bad  and so often.
    MamaandNurse said:
    @AndromedaEclipse DD1 had crazy diaper rashes. It took forever for us to get them under control. She has very sensitive skin and eczema. I don't think diaper rash has to do with gender, just how their skin reacts.
    Luckily, gender has absolutely nothing to do with diaper issues, considering that gender doesn't determine what type of external genitalia is in the baby's diaper. And from what I've read, said external genitalia would have limited influence on the occurrence of diaper rashes - it's most likely a baby-to-baby thing. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• For diapers, we actually switched back and forth between huggies and pampers every time we switched sizes. She started in huggies newborn, then pampers size 1, huggies size 2...etc...it's just the way it worked best for us...really sucked for our stocked up pile though. Also my girl hardly ever got rashes...we were really lucky, especially since we assumed she'd have sensitive skin like her ginger dad, but nope! 

As for wiping...I've cleaned both girl babies and boy babies and I actually found that boys have wayyyyy more nooks and crannies for poop to hide, plus you have to move junk around...totally felt like I was molesting them gah...girls you just kinda open and wipe, easy peasy....although I should add my H also felt like he was molesting our daughter, so maybe it's just because they are opposite genders that we feel that way, sorry if that wasn't helpful