February 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms (10/30)

Re: Weekly Randoms (10/30)

• kswiger06 said:
    @fishymom we do about $75/week on groceries but I would love to even bump it up to 100 or 125... when someone gets left out of a "goody" I decided my husband can bite the bullet. He came up with the grocery budget and I think it sucks lol. But I think if you are able to shave off a little and he never notices, it's a good plan. Unless he questions where the extra money came from, would he be upset? 

I don't think he would be, I think he would say "you didn't have to do that, I would have bought it myself" or something like that.  I don't think I would make it on $75.  That's a little crazy!

******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Getting sent to triage for mystery leg pain. have to make it home in time for trick or treating! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh no @homemake! I hope they can figure out what is going on and it's nothing too serious!
  • @homemake shit i hope it's not a clot. 
  • @homemake I hope it turns out to be nothing.  Keep us updated.

Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13

• Starfish113Starfish113 member
    edited October 2016
    homemake said:
    @fishymom I could never spend under 100! That's amazing! We don't eat out a lot because we don't have options to but I normally spend about 150. Then I realize I've forgotten something or decide I need to go back and spend another 50 or so. Me and my husband eat a lot of food for two pretty small people. 

LOL that's me when I try to shop light. I'm back in there a few days later spending the other $50!

And I hope it ends up being nothing, keep us posted!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Five day weekend over here (DC was closed on Fri, Tue is a national holiday, so I took Monday off). Parents came by on Friday and will leave sometime Tuesday.

Man, I love my mom, but she has to have said "DD is sooooo talkative/charming/sassy/winsome/insert adjective here, she is JUST like me" at least 6 times a day since Friday.

She's also the one who bought DD a knight castle because she wants her to grow up to be more assertive and ass-kicking (DD is 3, BTW). Sigh. 
    At one of my mom group playdates my mother was visiting as well, so she came along and witnessed DD standing her own against two boys who were a bit taller than she was. She has rehashed this situation so, so, so much. Ad nauseam. "I wish I could have a picture of when DD refused to give up the water gun to xyz"!!!

Don't get me wrong. I want DD to be assertive, but this is just majorly eye-roll-inducing for me. Give it a rest, mother.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• @homemake Feel better!

@FishyMom I think that's an awesome gift!
    we do the allowance to, fixed a lot of our money issues/fights! I struggle with the grocery budget though. We are more like 120-150 and I want to stay under $120! I'm awful and shopping sales and DH just eats sooo much. I seriously cook for a family of 4 (2 & a toddler) and we have less leftovers now then ever!!
  • Get better @homemake! Hope it's just a false alarm!
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY @WinchesterGirl!!! I hope you have a kick ass day!!

@Jab3 I'm so happy you stood up and spoke! I hope it was empowering for you because I know it definitely impacted your audience. I'm pulling so hard for your family <3

Re: grocery budgets- I spend about $375 a month for 2 adults, 3 meals a day. $220 at Costco for meats and such, the rest is a normal grocery store for produce etc. It's gone up a bit now since I'm turbo nesting and freezer meals for after the baby is born is my new obsession.

Those of you who are doing freezer meals- I'm wondering just how many I should aim for? Original goal was a months worth but now I kinda want to do more, I'm at 24 right now. DH got bitten by the turbo nesting bug too and it's adorable how excited he is making batches of food with me ;)
  • @Jab3, that was brave and a great thing to do.   I hope positive things come out of it.

@WinchesterGirl, happy birthday!

@homemake, I hope everything is okay!

I am not having a great day so far.  Mom guilt is strong.   I forgot that I was in charge of snack for preschool,  my oldest was doing her weekend homework while eating breakfast,  we almost missed the bus,  I remembered we missed an eye doctor appt last week and I am freaking about everything that needs to be done before Thanksgiving.   my laundry room/mudroom still isn't done, there are piles of things I need to go through,  and we are adding another person to this crazy family? ?

Nothing makes me feel more like a mom.with a big family like buying 6 loaves of bread at a time at the bread outlet.

Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll be doing a couple of freezer meals but not too much.  also keeping some canned soups and tuna for quick meals if we need it stocked in the pantry.  My mom is near by and will probably swing by now and then and cook, however she will also be having shoulder surgery so don't really want to count on too much help since she needs healing as well.  Last time it wasn't too bad finding time to cook something simple at least, but definitely helped having a few frozen meals available as well.

Every week I aim to stay under $100 and I rarely do :-p  It ranges from $100 - $150, depending on the week.  Sometimes we get under but not often.

• Happy birthday, @WinchesterGirl!! Hope it's wonderful.

I always take off work for my birthday. My very first boss out of college had a strict "no working on your birthday" policy, and it has just stuck. This year I'll be on mat leave when I turn 34...we'll see what kind of "vacation" I get that day, ha.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Wow! I'm impressed! I was thinking of maybe freezer meals for a week, but perhaps I'm undershooting. I really like cooking so I imagine it'll be one of the first things I want to bring back as I get into a rhythm. 
  • Re: freezer meals, I am making shepherds pie next Sunday for a friend who has a baby in NICU. I was going to double and freeze but is it too early?

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• I'm probably only doing a few freezer meals but I love to cook so I don't anticipate needing too many.

I'll most likely stock up on soups, tuna, and snacks I can eat with one hand.  I do want to get a few more travel water bottles so I'll have plenty of water available around the house.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Wow! I'm impressed! I was thinking of maybe freezer meals for a week, but perhaps I'm undershooting. I really like cooking so I imagine it'll be one of the first things I want to bring back as I get into a rhythm. 
    Yeah, this is me too! I won't make any. We had people bring enough food for the first week, and after that I was totally ready to cook again! Baby sleeps so much those first two weeks you find time, and if you like cooking you will totally have time to do it :)
  • @FishyMom I personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking money out of a joint account for a purpose other than agreed upon expenses. 
  • Wow I thought I was on top of my freezer meal game... compared to @yogadevil and @jlellis603 I am no where near their preparedness!!

@peachesnbean I like to keep a rotation.  So if you get into a habit of doubling a meal you are having this week with intention of putting one in he freezer it works well.. For instance my goal is to make one freezer meal a week, but we don't eat a freezer meal a week its often every other or so. So I will make extra chili freeze it and then in 2 weeks I will go to the freezer and see what has the oldest date on it and have that.  I date all my stuff to make sure one doesn't get lost in the shuffle.  But by doing 1 in a week and 1 out every other week it builds a good stash and keep up the rotation. 

• I was just coming back here to give the doubling meal tip as well!  Especially this time of year when I do a lot of crockpot meals, super easy to just freeze half for later. 

I think at most I'll do:

- a lasagna (split into a couple of portions so we don't get sick of it)

- enchiladas (same thing, split up)

- shredded pork shoulder from the crockpot (in different bags that can be quickly made into a variety of meals)

- meatballs

- chili

- a loaf or two of banana bread

• Oh, and Happy Birthday @WinchesterGirl! I luuuuurve Halloween, having my birthday today would be amazing. :)
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• I'm curious about the freezer meals.  Do you ladies do most/all of the cooking in your house, and so you need the meals ready because you won't have time to be cooking with a newborn?  Or is it that neither you or your husband will have time to cook with a newborn?  FTM and my husband loves to cook and handles most of the cooking/grocery shopping for us.  So I wasn't planning on having a stash of freezer meals since he handles that stuff already - but maybe that is a bad plan because we will both be too busy? 
  • LilyASF42LilyASF42 member
    edited October 2016

For me, it's a matter of exhaustion.  I don't deal well with lack of sleep and with our first we didn't get more than a 2 hour stretch of sleep for 6 months :-(  The first couple months it's not too bad and I had the energy to still cook but after a while I was barely functioning and there's only so much take out I can handle before feeling ill.  So the freezer meals are for those times.  Plus time will be even more limited with the toddler and the newborn so sneaking in some time to cook will probably be a little trickier.  My husband doesn't really cook, but he's more than happy to get take out if needed :-)  But even if he did cook, with the hours he works it would still be difficult to get a fresh meal all the time.

• @homemake praying it's something simple and  you're back on your way quickly! Keep us posted!

I have not started on freezer meals yet, other than to make a general plan. We are planning to use up most of what's in our chest freezer, and then swap to a standup freezer instead. I have a horrible time finding anything in the chest, so I was waiting to do the swap first.

I am hoping to make a solid month of dinners, and maybe some easy breakfast things - some pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, whatever. I have a running list of anything that I think, this would be great to have in the freezer for baby! Maybe this will be my December project?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • oh and if you do plan on stuffing your freezer, make sure you leave some room for freezing breastmilk if you plan on pumping.  pumping was never my favorite thing to do but I do plan on stockpiling as much as I can this time around.  I mean....I'm not running a dairy or anything but just want to make sure I have enough :-)
  • LilyASF42 said:

For me, it's a matter of exhaustion.  I don't deal well with lack of sleep and with our first we didn't get more than a 2 hour stretch of sleep for 6 months :-(  

Oh yes don't get me wrong... mine didn't sleep more than 2 hours for the first year!! I just meant that she slept during the day, especially in the beginning, so I had time to cook. I was definitely exhausted!!!
  • Absolutely. Lots of day napping time that I was able to sneak in cooking.  But after that first month or two, the new mom adrenaline wears off and I crashed lol. Plus now with the toddler, he will eat up a lot of that time so I'm not sure how easy it will be to get meals together. 
  • Happy birthday @WinchesterGirl!! ❤️

@homemake I hope you feel better soon and make sure to keep us updated. Sending you lots of positive vibes!

Re: freezer meals. I plan on stocking up mostly on soups and pasta dishes. Also, with DS, family often brought us meals in the first week or 2
    so it should work out really well. 
    Between my bff and my SIL who will have/had babies this month, I've been busy making their
    freezer meals the last little while and so it's nice when the favor is returned.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Happy Birthday @WinchesterGirl!
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @peachesnbean I personally don't think it's too early. I've heard freezer meals keep for 3ish months but I think thats a really conservative estimate. 

@MissMerciBeaucoup I do all the cooking at our house. DH can rock out in the kitchen, but I adore cooking so much so I consider it *my* kitchen lol. Plus he can get flakey about meal planning and always runs to the grocery store to spend like $30 for one meal and that's insane. Making freezer meals is a big outlet for my turbo nesting too, and we do plan on tapping into them in the couple weeks leading up to the birth in case I don't feel like moving. But mostly it's just nice to have a nice stash so it's one less thing to think about. We also save money by me packing DH's lunches so we won't be wasting money if I don't get around to that weekly lunch prep after he goes back to work when baby is 2 weeks old.

It also saves me some stress prepping dinners for my dad and I can focus on baby things and sleeping.

But mostly it eases my anxiety to be overly prepared so I'm running with it.
  • Best freezer meals that DH loves: homemade tamales! I made about 50 of these babies over the course of two days (only 1 hour the first day and maybe 2 hours the second day), individually wrapped them up in parchment and put them in the freezer... now DH can just pop 1, 2, or 3 out whenever and steam them up in 20 minutes and they are INCREDIBLE! If any of you like mexican food, it's totally the way to go! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @WinchesterGirl happy birthday to you!

@homemake I hope you are ok!

@skiingstark do you have a hospital nearby with Saturday or Sunday outpatient lab hours? That's where I'm doing my glucose test (on a Saturday) so my husband can watch my son. 
  • Best freezer meals that DH loves: homemade tamales! I made about 50 of these babies over the course of two days (only 1 hour the first day and maybe 2 hours the second day), individually wrapped them up in parchment and put them in the freezer... now DH can just pop 1, 2, or 3 out whenever and steam them up in 20 minutes and they are INCREDIBLE! If any of you like mexican food, it's totally the way to go! 
    Are they hard to make?? Teach me!!!

@homemake I'm sorry you didn't get any answers, but I'm glad you are headed home. 

• @TeacherMom2517 that sounds amazing!! I need that recipe.
  • edited November 2016
    Just getting caught up...

Happy happy birthday @WinchesterGirl !!
    @homemake I'm so glad you don't have a clot but I know,  it's hard when  you don't have an answer.

Congratulations @lfrank12 ! That's great news!