April 2015 Moms

Any mamas still BF?

Just curious...DD just turned a year old a few weeks ago and still BF. Trying to find ways to wean her off and would love any tips!

Re: Any mamas still BF?

• My son is still breast feeding as well, he turned a year old on April 16th. I asked his pediatrician about weaning at his check up. He said there are two ways to go about it. I could either just stop altogether cold turkey or just nurse before naps and bed time and slowly cut those out too. He recommended more stopping cold turkey though because he said it can be hard for them to transition being allowed the boob at some times and not the other BUT both should work. Just depends on how quickly you want them fully weaned. I must admit though, I haven't really been trying to wean yet like I should... We also found out my son has multiple food allergies and so we are adjusting to what he can and cannot eat. I haven't had the heart to take nursing away or lessen it just yet because of it. He has so many food restrictions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not recommend cold turkey unless you want to be in pain, although if your LO isn't nursing much anymore this may be less of a problem. Try to distract your little one with other things when they want to nurse such as a sippy cup, toy, game, etc. and just gradually reduce the number of feedings.
    We aren't trying to wean yet but I did want to reduce the number of times since he was still feeding so much. We're now down to 2-3 per day at nap, bed, and sometimes when he wakes up in the morning. I'll probably let him decide when to call it quits on these last few sessions.

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I am still breastfeeding as well. I feel a little pressured to stop ASAP. I am gradually trying to reduce the number of times in a day I bf. I will also probably let him decide when he is done. 
  • We did cold turkey, it just worked best for my son to understand no more nursing. I just pumped when my boobs started hurting just to the point of them being content and slowly reduced the number of times pumping throughout the day.
  • Pressure to stop already? I say it's fine to bf however long you want... The WHO actually recommends til age 2. There are so many benefits to extended breastfeeding but it is also a very personal decision. Other people should mind their own business! I chose to stop earlier this month because I started a medication I didn't feel comfortable breastfeeding while taking. If you and your little one are happy still breastfeeding, then go for it! If you are done, that's fine too!
  • I am also still breastfeeding at 15 months and I feel pressured to be done. I feel like when he is done he will stop. I am ready to be done but don't want to just stop for me. 
  • Still BF. No plans to stop until she's done
  • Still breastfeeding my daughter as well, she is almost 19 months old.  I plan to let her self-wean, that is what works best for us. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!