January 2016 Moms

Flu Shot

this thread is not meant to cause any debate or be judgy, but I'm curious who is getting their babies flu shots? Its such a divided opinion no matter who I ask. I asked my dr and she recommended it for LO but she isnt a dr who pushed the flu shot and I feel like if I didnt ask her she wouldnt have brought it up.. so just curious how many are or arent getting it for their babes

Re: Flu Shot

• It's something even hubs and I are divided on. I got the flu shot while pregnant and LO and I both got our flu shot last week. I teach kindergarten. I help wipe noses, button pants, high five hands that were pprobably not washed and sometimes come home with boogers on my shirt that I know aren't mine. With all that said, I felt that the flu shot was a good decision for my family. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • Our whole family got the flu shot. We have LO in one daycare and my step daughter (who is with us 50% of the time) in another larger daycare. Both myself and DH work in large offices.  The plague runs ramped in all of our environments. Then at home LO has her mouth on everything and stepdaughter is almost 4 and is constantly wiping her nose on her hand and coughing all over everything even though we say cover your cough every single time. We've already all been sick over the last 3 weeks, step daughter with croup. We'd like to contain the sickness as much as we can and lesson the severity of what everyone is bound to catch. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO will not be getting it. I don't believe in it personally. My aunt just got the flu shot and the next day she was sick with a high fever and symptoms of the flu. My pediatrician also didn't even bring it up.  I'll just make sure to stay clear of super crowded areas this winter and always have hand sanitizer on me, which I always  do since she was born anyway lol. 
  • Thanks for your input! LO isnt in daycare, my mom will be looking after her as I'm only going back to work 2 days a week. She is doing a few baby groups. I work in an office with 4 other people but hubby works retail for his family business. We are torn but think we will skip it. Ahhh maybe. Decision! 
  • We all get it including our babe! 
  • We got one for our LO. I'm a nurse and I'm sure I bring lots of germs home and didn't want to risk it. 
  • Our whole family will be getting it. The kids and I already got ours. I attend a mom's group and my oldest is in preschool, both highly germy areas. The hubs works on a college campus, also a very germy area. We will probably get flu shots every year until the youngest is around 5 yrs old or so.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• SO and baby already got theirs (baby got the first of two). The other 2 kids will get theirs when baby goes for # 2. I'll get mine soon as well. 
  • We all got our flu shots, including the baby. I am an immunologist, so my personal choice for my family is heavily influenced by my professional training. My babe is also in daycare, I work at a University, and my husband commutes on public transportation, so we have plenty of access to germs too.
  • Our whole family got it.  A day to two of side effects is way better than a baby with the flu in my opinion
  • Our whole family got it the first day it was available. I am not willing to risk my child potentially dying from influenza, as it can be life threatening for babies this age. LO will have to go for a second dose next month to ensure immunity and I am not worried about it. I had side effects the day after (fatigue, muscle aches) but it was nothing compared to the actual flu. LO was a bit off but nothing intolerable. Totally worth it in my opinion. Plus, it lowers our risk of contracting the flu and potentially transmitting it to another person who is unable to get the shot, like babies under 6 months. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Definitely provax here. We all already got the shot and lo goes foundation round 2 shortly. As a PP stated, the flu can be deadly for small children. A few days of side effects are way better than possibly dying IMO. 
  • I had never gotten a flu shot until last year when I was pregnant. (The thought of having the flu and not being able to take meds sounded awful!) I was planning on having everyone around DD get the shot, but not her. She's home all day with a nanny and not exposed too much. But the hubby has just convinced me to get her a flu shot. The warnings with the flu are always about the young and elderly. I decided it's just not worth the risk. 
  • I always do worse when I don't get a flu shot, and since my genetic pool is passed down, I'm going to assume LO is the same. I got one when I was pregnant, and she'll get one this year. I am debating, though, about the timing. She couldn't get it at her 9 month visit, because she had hand, foot, and mouth disease. Mid November, we're flying from Indiana to California to visit family. I don't want to give it to her right before we go, at the risk of her getting sick. And then it's Thanksgiving. And insanity the rest of the year. We'll fit it in somewhere.
  • We're a big flu shot family these days!  We have friends with premies and a friend who had a kidney transplant, so we are very cognizant of how deadly and scary the flu can be if vulnerable people get it.  (This is NOT to judge anyone who doesn't get the flu shot - I didn't get it for years, this is just who we're hanging out with and it has impacted my mindset.)  Anyway, LO got hers at her 8 month check up and we'll be getting ours this weekend, now that we're all recovered from food poisoning.  Here's hoping that keeps the flu at bay this year!
  • LO and I got it today. SO doesn't want to, so he won't.
  • I always do worse when I don't get a flu shot, and since my genetic pool is passed down, I'm going to assume LO is the same. I got one when I was pregnant, and she'll get one this year. I am debating, though, about the timing. She couldn't get it at her 9 month visit, because she had hand, foot, and mouth disease. Mid November, we're flying from Indiana to California to visit family. I don't want to give it to her right before we go, at the risk of her getting sick. And then it's Thanksgiving. And insanity the rest of the year. We'll fit it in somewhere.
    Your LO will actually need 2 shots, a month apart, before full eficacy. Anyone under 9 years who hasn't had the flu shot before needs 2 doses. You should make the time to get that first shot sooner than later... Don't put it off!
  • Wow interesting read, I didn't even know flu shots were available or possible for babies!  The pediatrician didn't mention it and the nurse office in my neighborhood which is providing flu shots for the community asked if I or my husband wanted it but didn't mention it for baby either...  Maybe because babies get so many vaccinations in their first year already?  I don't know... I'll ask and look into it though!
  • I got it (required by my job.  I work in the healthcare industry) and my son just got the first shot--next shot in a few weeks.  

I've seen babies that have gotten the flu.  I personally wouldn't risk it.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Keaton got his at his nine month check up. The Dr. mentioned it and gave me a info sheet to look over. I would rather be safe then sorry when it comes to his health. 
  • We got the flu shot.  Dr's office recommended (as did our old doc before we moved).  We go back for round 2 in two weeks.  No side effects here (different than with Tdap where we had fevers for days after).  I actually didn't realize this was a controversial topic...I'm debating whether I should now research the negative side effects or continue with my current blissful ignorance.  

My only other thought is that I do trust my pediatrician.  If the baby got sick from the flu because we didn't vacinnate (I realize she might get it even though she has the shot too), I think my OCD self would have major mom guilt regardless of whether or not the vaccination would have prevented it. Although obviously not all doctors are good doctors, I'm hopeful that my pediatrician's medical school education, residency and 25+ years of practice taught him something...I also grilled him at our pre-patient interview/consultation
  • My husband, me and baby all got our shots! Graham goes back for round 2 in a couple of weeks! I am missing my spleen so I have to get it (weak immune system). Also, I lost a friend to the flu about 6 yrs ago. He was a perfectly healthy 24 yr old who got the flu and it morphed into ARDS. I've been a big proponent of the flu shot since then! 
  • LO got hers on Wednesday. Even if you don't do it immediately, make plans to get it done. Get the appointment. A lot of places won't administer it until 18 months, so this is likely a nurse's visit to your regular doctor's office.