December 2016 Moms

Holiday Gifts

edited October 2016 in December 2016 Moms
Who's excited about what they've gotten their partner/child/in-laws/sibling/niece/dog/baby and wants to share!?

(AKA SBF needs gift ideas)
Pregnancy Ticker
Mother of an April '15 baby
Due December 16

Re: Holiday Gifts

• DH is getting some models and general nerd gear. He asked for some dad gear, but  besides a diaper bag that I gave to him, I'm not sure what dad gear is. :(

Fur son is getting treats, a stuffie, and a puzzle.

Ash is getting a stocking filled with necessity goodies we already bought for the nursery plus a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament. Oh, and whatever other gifts people give him.

Probably make family gift baskets for extended family.
  • Loading the player...
  • @dmontgo Glad I'm not the only one totally planning on making a stocking for my unborn child! (Uh...unless I'm being dense and you're actually going to have him before Christmas. Sorry.)

I accidentally double-ordered some the essential oils from Amazon, so my SIL is getting those and an infuser...yaaay! (Okay, there's more to this story: I use her Prime account, and she's been asking me how I like them. So it's obvious.)

H has thrown out some stuff he wants, but I sort of forget now. I'm terrible. I do know he's already working on a wish list though, so that shouldn't be too hard.

As for everyone else? Yeah, I'm a terrible gift-giver. I have no idea. I really wanted to be done with shopping now, but that hasn't happened at all. OH WELL MAYBE NEXT MONTH.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • H and I are getting the Blu ray combo packs of all the Marvel movies that are out. L will get stuff from everyone else, the pups will each get their own bed+new chew toys. Dally will get the extra gift of not being a milk cow to 5 pups anymore. Everyone else is not even on the radar.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I'm really behind and haven't bought anything and my goal was to be done by now - oops.  So far the only thing I know I'm getting is a digital picture frame for my parents that you can send pictures to via email.  I'm hoping I'll be able to email pictures of the new baby and they'll just magically show up on the frame as long as it's hooked up to wifi.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• I don't know if DH and I will exchange gifts. If we do, he's getting a guitar amp (what I planned for his bday gift but we decided on no gifts). 

Baby will get a small rattle or book. I'll probably just grab something when I do the rest of the nursery shopping. I need to get her a stocking still too. 

Not sure on niece and nephew yet. 

My Mom casually mentioned interest in a fit bit the other day, so I'm going to see if my brother/sil want to go in on that with us. If they do, not sure what to get my Dad. If not, parents will get a couple gift cards. 

No clue on in-laws. 
  • @dmontgo, maybe a baby carrier in a dad friendly print?  Try Tula, Kinderpack, or even Lenny Lamb if you're interested in something ready made - the second-hand market in particular for all of these carriers is pretty reasonable right now.  As a side note, I've seen quite a few custom painted Tulas with Nightmare Before Christmas, Superheros, musicians, etc. themes as well pop up from time to time, though these tend to be pretty expensive.

My parents and I/we decided last year that we were going to stop giving out big gifts for Xmas and start booking trips/experiences together instead.  We went to Disney last year and are repeating it this year since the boys loved it.  This is the gift I most look forward to, even though I'm a bit nervous (DS3 will be ~ 4 mos on this trip).

DS1 - puzzles +1 toy to share with DS2
    DS2 - playdo maybe (see above)
    DS3 - Probably some sort of infant toy

So that really just leaves my sister ($), the kids on both sides of my family (gift cards), my SIL (gift card), and MIL/SFIL (I have no idea).  My FIL doesn't do Xmas gifts.

None of this, other than DS1's puzzles, has actually happened yet.

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • mysteryshipmysteryship member
    edited October 2016
    I'm not the best at gift giving, but for some reason I have so many great ideas for DH this year - but we have no money, and I know family will be giving us so much baby stuff, so those ideas will have to wait. I might get him a small houseplant b/c he's really into those. We do joke that the baby was both his birthday present (basically conceived on his bday) and Christmas present this year.

3 yo nephew loves play cooking so I'm thinking about getting him a personalized apron. 1 yo nephew...maybe a book.

Everyone else...I may make small gift baskets or bake something. Definitely going to be low key.

ETA @dmontgo It's not gear exactly, but I'm thinking about getting this book for DH to read with our kid someday.
  • I used to be so good at gifts and in the last few years I've lost my touch.

BIL and SIL just bought a house so they ate getting a Lowe's gift card.

I think I'm going to sneak to a restaurant MIL\FIL love when I'm home for my baby shower next weekend and pick them up a gift certificate. Dh bought FIL a Gem map for finding Gems in the area we live in so I need to find something small for MIL. I'm thinking a frame for her desk for pictures of L.

My brother is getting kitchen stuff that I bought him months ago and tucked back. His girlfriend will probably get something in the realm of a gift card.

Grandpa is getting a stadium chair. 

Dad and Step Mom I have no idea. 

I have a few ideas for Dh, problem is his birthday is on November 29th. So it's hard to do both because he never has a list.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Going to get handprints or footprints of Squish and do something with those and give them to my parents, ILs and SILs. 

We always get our niece and nephew something for their birthdays and Christmas (his birthday is 12/11 and hers is 12/12). This year it will be something small. I want to get our nephew something from Squish because we asked his mom to be godmother, so he'll be Squish's godbrother. Maybe a book or toy and a note saying how much Squish can't wait to play with him. He's so excited about being a godbrother it's just too stinkin' cute!

DH I'm getting him the new Kingdom Hearts game that comes out in December. No clue if he'll get it for birthday, Hanukkah, Christmas or Three Kings. Depends on when Squish comes. Other than that he is getting a child. I might get him some candy, too, because I usually get him candy for Hanukkah.

Our fur son will be getting toys and treats. And a human sidekick.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I have no clue what I'll do. I haven't even started shopping for anybody.
  • My DD wants American Girl stuff which is CRAZY expensive, so if we go that route, I'll be surprised.  My DS wants something called a "Bat-Bot", we might have to make a surprise visit to TRU so these kids can give me some kind of list of something...

I have no clue what to get DH- I've picked him up a pair of shoes so far....My MIL and nephew are done since we celebrated Christmas with them last weekend, but we still have 5 more nieces and nephews to go and this year I'm thinking Visa gift cards so they can pick out their own stuff (their ages range from 24 to 6).  I don't know if I have the energy to go shopping this year.

Like @karmba I had hoped to be done by now, but I'm no where close.  And knowing that I'm going to be short a paycheck while on maternity leave during the holidays and directly afterward makes me a bit nervous about this holiday season. :(

• karmba said:
    I'm really behind and haven't bought anything and my goal was to be done by now - oops.  So far the only thing I know I'm getting is a digital picture frame for my parents that you can send pictures to via email.  I'm hoping I'll be able to email pictures of the new baby and they'll just magically show up on the frame as long as it's hooked up to wifi.
    Whoa!  This is a thing?!  I knew about digital frames but never heard of ones that you could just email new pictures to.  I know what the Grandparents are getting for Christmas now!

I am thinking of getting BF one of those fancy commercial old time popcorn machines with the cart.  We are eventually going to finish the basement and he would love it for there but it could live in the dining room with the beer taps until we get it all squared away.  He's always talked about wanting one and he is one of those people who tends to just buy whatever they want for themselves so I think I'll jump on it this year before he goes and gets it for himself!
  • DH and I agreed that we're going to buy ourselves a nice new camera for our Christmas present to each other. We each have a decent Canon point and shoot, but both are old (his may be a little newer, but I got mine in 2008). So, we'll splurge on that for when baby arrives and have it ready - as I'd rather have pictures of him on a camera than on my phone and most hook up to wifi easily. I've always wanted a DSLR, but some of the new point and shoots are just as nice and less options for taking pics. So, I am OK with a new one... and maybe one day would get the DSLR.

We'll get our 4 nephews stuff, but usually just clothes and is easy to get.

My sister and I have kind of stopped buying each other stuff, unless it's small. This year I may go that route too, but get her something from her nephew - which will just be a new ornament from Hallmark.

My parents have said no to getting them something, although my sister already got my dad something so now we'll need to find something for my mom (we still go in together but may be the last year of that). However, I do plan on getting them an ornament from Hallmark to commemorate their first Christmas as grandparents. I'll probably get that soon, just to have it ready to go.

For my in-laws - DH and his siblings usually figure that out and do combined gifts.

I have not started, except to start research on the Canon camera. I told DH we should go out and just buy the nephews stuff now, just in case. Otherwise, he'll be on his own to get clothes for them. This will also include a nephews birthday that is at the beginning of December.

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• I am also getting DH a baby, he better like it, no returns! Due date is 12/22, DH's birthday is 12/20 - so I'll try to make his birthday special somehow, but we just don't know where we will be in life during that week. 

All of our parents and DH's sister are getting:

They sell kits at Bed Bath and Beyond. We normally don't do gifts with family members since we've always lived so far away from people, so if we do anything, it's small and a keepsake. Last year we got them all a frame with some wedding photos printed out. Since we don't know when the kid will arrive, they'll likely get it late.

My brothers and I do not do gifts. We try to all get together every few years and do something fun instead. 3 years ago we met up in Virginia Beach (one brother was living there at the time) for a long weekend and did a beer festival. Two years before that, both of my brothers came out to visit me in Denver and we had a long weekend together. Next year we are all meeting in London (one brother lives there) for a long Thanksgiving weekend.

Our fur babies will likely get new beds for in the living room so that they have some place comfy to lay instead of on the couch while I'm home with baby on leave.
  • @KatieJo1205  yep - it is!  I think it'll be fun to send pictures at random and surprise my parents.  I think this is the one we're going to buy:
    https://www.amazon.com/Nixplay-Original-Facebook-Instagram-W12A/dp/B00J3TWQ8I 

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• I love that digital frame thing! Too bad none of our parents are tech-y enough for that to be worth it.
    DH is getting a cast iron dutch oven that he can use on his grill. Mostly so he stops using my pretty blue enamel one :)
    My mom is getting a subscription to Sunset magazine.
    I might make my dad some bacon jam. Or I might just buy it...
    Not sure what we are getting for MIL/FIL, BILs and their SOs, or my brother. 
    Baby girl will probably get something, but I'm not sure what yet. 
    The dogs will probably get new beds and a toy. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • @karmba That is awesome! DH's parents always get the latest gadgets. I think you just solved our puzzle on what to get them!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited October 2016
    DS is done and has the following: a scooter, a set of 5 Llama Llama books, a set of superhero capes/masks, a train toy from The movie Planes Fire and Rescue, a piggy bank, and a Spider-Man flashlight.  He'll get some small stuff for his stocking.

We bought my niece a mermaid blanket (makes it look like she has a mermaid tail) and connect 4 and my nephew got a walker toy he can push since he's 9 months and will be mobile soon.  We are not exchanging with siblings this year (and hopefully going forward).

Mom memtioned a smaller stock pot with a steamer/strainer attachment and my Dad just said he needs a golf belt to go with grey and blue so I'll get him that and something else.  He retires next Monday and they live in a 36 hole golf community, so probably something else golf related. 

DH is either getting a new gun safe, a pair of in ear Beats headphones or a sound bar for our TV.  

No idea for the inlaws because they're hard as hell to shop for.  

The babies will get a few few boxes of diapers and maybe some toys?   We have so much for them that is either from DS or we bought....I really think I'm going to wrap diaper boxes.  Is that terrible?  ETA - babies will be getting stockings - that's something, right? 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• DH is getting a baby for an early Christmas present. 
    My kids will be getting things from Amazon! Which means I better get on it. One present from us, one from santa, and an awesome stocking.
    The rest of my family and I have an understanding that our family is big, we only get presents for the kids, and my sisters and I have agreed that we don't need to send each other's kids presents because they all have enough junk (and there are 9 kids). We give each other love, and eat good food, we are just raising a bunch of foodies ;) 
    But I do need to get my mom something, because she refuses to go in on the 'we don't need any more stuff' bandwagon. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @yellingbanana I like your strategy. I'm worried about this kid getting an overabundance of junk. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @yellingbanana I like your strategy. I'm worried about this kid getting an overabundance of junk. 
    It's SO HARD as they get older!  My logic was one outdoor active play, one make believe play, books, one toy, a bank to save money and a flashlight he can keep by his bed so he sleeps through the night, damnit!  I try not to get just a bunch of stuff, and attempt to have good reason behind the purchases.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Also loving @yellingbanana 's strategy. We'll do the same. We've also instituted a 1 present from grandparents for Christmas and birthday rule
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • karmba said:
    I'm really behind and haven't bought anything and my goal was to be done by now - oops.  So far the only thing I know I'm getting is a digital picture frame for my parents that you can send pictures to via email.  I'm hoping I'll be able to email pictures of the new baby and they'll just magically show up on the frame as long as it's hooked up to wifi.
    This just saved Christmas for me. This will be the PERFECT gift for my MIL who is in Florida and doesn't travel. Might just get all the grandparents the same thing - woohoo!

• We have the added benefit of knowing for sure baby will be here on or before Dec. 1 and we are having a Fresh 48 session done. We'll probably give grandparents and parents a nice canvas from that session and then for siblings give them gift cards to their favorite stores. It may not seem very personal but knowing how much our sisters love to shop, it won't go unappreciated.
  • I am loving that present rule of "One thing you need, want, read, etc" to avoid unnecessary things - at least for us anyway. We don't want excessive toys around the house, as we currently don't have the space. Plus, we see all the toys that our nephews get now and then see them stop playing with them just a few short months later. Such a waste. We'd rather have people give a few fun things and then donate to a college fund of some sort, just to do something different.

Like last year for our oldest nephews birthday (he turned 7), my MIL got him this bike that scoots around with your body movement. We have never seen it EVER come out since that day, not is that boy even remotely interested in something like that cos he's just not into those things. Such a waste and takes up room that something else could take up that is needed.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• DH and I have talked about experience and clutter-free gifts a lot lately, and I think they are a great idea because at least experiences are more memorable and last a lifetime. I do like the 4 gift rule, but I would add an experience to it. Also, we've  made the rule in our new place that if we buy something, we need to get rid of something to keep clutter down.

I'm hoping to test out the experience gift for our anniversary in a month, but the ideas I had can't happen  just yet (concerts). Any one have good ideas that are not sports related?
  • @dmontgo when Ashton is old enough you will need to strategically plan a covert ops mission in the middle of the night to remove toys from the house.  They must not go into any kind of trash can in the house or they WILL be sniffed out.  Toys he hasn't looked at in a year will
    suddenly become prized possessions.  Kids are funny.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @dmontgo maybe a paint and drink class but then you go home with the paintings (but then you bring home the paintings) or a wine or beer tasting / tour? 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @dmontgo we did a murder-mystery dinner theater night a few years ago, where there's a play going on but they pull people in from the audience and some of them are actually actors that were planted in the audience. It was fun! We also got MIL a book of local hikes one year, and went on one with her, so it was kind of a combo book and experience gift. 
    I also tend to like experience gifts better. DH and I have been to pro motocross, football, and soccer games as Xmas or b-day gifts over the years. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • @jandd2014 OMG a murder mystery dinner sounds awesome and something I could do. We've talked about doing one so maybe we can find one nearby. Great idea!

@sourlemon I love those kind of classes. It's always so much fun to see DH get creative because he paints models as a hobby!
  • These ideas are all awesome!!! All gifts will be from Baby H this year, I bought DH a camo zip up because he has sadly "out grown" a lot of last years sweaters.
    mom I bought a grandma coffee mug from Hallmark and I'm going to fill it with homemade hot chocolate and chocolate dipped spoons.
    everyone else will get some sort of baby related gift. Plus a gift card of some sort. It's a bummer we can't afford more, but our family understands new baby+ house renos we needed to do.
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Ooh, I found tickets for the Nutcracker for our regions ballet! DH has told me one of his favorite childhood Christmas memories was seeing the Nutcracker with the live orchestra... hopefully I can find some tickets that aren't too far into December!