February 2017 Moms

Traveling across Country by air at 27 weeks-Any advice?

I will be taking a cross country flight to see my parents in two weeks. This is my first pregnancy and I will be 27 weeks when I fly. So far, my pregnancy has been pretty straightforward and without complication (knock on wood) and my OB has given me the okay to fly. Has anyone flown before while this pregnant and could you ladies share some words of wisdom or some tips for how to make the nearly five hour flight more enjoyable while pregnant?

Re: Traveling across Country by air at 27 weeks-Any advice?

• Yes, I have! I experienced a lot of rib pain during my last pregnancy, so that was he extent of the discomfort during the flight. I'd say keep hydrated and if you are at all experiencing swelling in your legs/veins, don't be afraid to get some compression socks.
  • Honestly, I'd get compression stockings anyway. I've done several international flights and wore stockings every time -- they really helped with the swelling. Drink LOTS of water, and I would also try to get up and walk around every hour or so to reduce the swelling. I did some leg stretches in the galley and the flight attendants didn't mind at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • *Lurking from A16*
    I flew at 33 weeks on a 14 hour flight so my tips are:

-Get an aisle seat
    -Have compression socks, even if you don't end up wearing them you have them just in case.
    -Drink plenty of water (hence the aisle seat)
    -Wear stretchy super comfortable clothes
    -Shoes you can easily slip off and on
    -Don't be shy in asking someone to put your carry-on in the luggage bin.

Also, just try to walk around the cabin every 1-2 hours.
  • VastraVastra member
    edited October 2016
    I flew back and forth across the country at 21 weeks, plus a flight in the middle. +1 to all of this advice. I also noticed that the flight attendants don't seem to mind if you get up to pee when the Fasten Seatbelt light is on. They get it.
    And I highly recommend getting the patdown at TSA instead of going through the ballerina machine*. The likelihood of it being dangerous is very low, but for peace of mind, it might be better not to do it. They'll automatically assign a female agent, and you can do it out in the open. On one of my flights, she even asked where my husband was, so she could do it in front of him. All of them were very nice, very respectful and completely cute about the baby bump. 

*My name for the scanner, because of the position.
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • i've flown a few times during this pregnancy, and i'm scheduled to be out of town again in 3 weeks, when i'll be 28 weeks. like others have said, wear compression socks, and make sure to drink water. having a seat with extra leg room is nice if you can get it, otherwise, an aisle seat is good so you can move around. going through security is very little risk but if it bugs you then a pat down is always an option. 

it's really no big deal, except for not being particularly comfortable, but that's true whether you're pregnant or not. and there are very few risks involved. when i first found out i was pregnant i talked with my MW about it since i travel frequently for work, and her advice was simply, stay hydrated, move around, and try not to fly too far into the 3rd trimester because you risk having the baby in an unknown place. 

unless you have specific medical concerns, there's really no problems, so enjoy your trip!
    welcoming our ewok 2/6/17
  • *Lurking from A16*

-Get an aisle seat
    -Have compression socks, even if you don't end up wearing them you have them just in case.

This is basically all my advice and expect to be farting :)
  • *Lurking from A16*

-Get an aisle seat

I had a huge painful gas bubble when I flew last time I was pregnant. I remember that distinctly. 
  • The seats do absorb the farts quite nicely. I'm not sure that's a good thing, but do take advantage of it. 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • *Lurking from A16*

-Get an aisle seat

Dude, I fart constantly when flying, pregnant or not. Is this a thing? Am I just a gas monster?
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • I flew yesterday and the day before at 23 weeks. Somehow I ended up with a window seat for EVERY flight, which usually I love, but was a pain this time. So definitely try to get an aisle seat.

I also made a point on the last flight yesterday - which was the longest of the four - to apologize in advance to the woman in the aisle for the fact that I would have to get up multiple times. She could see I was pregnant, and she was super nice about it. I got up every 1-2 hours to stretch and use the restroom. 

Drink lots of water, get up as much as you can, and in between (if you have the leg room), try to straighten your legs out and do some foot stretches/ankle rolls. 

I didn't have compression socks, but it looks like I may need to fly again in a few weeks, so I will probably get some. My ankles were a little swollen when I got home last night, but by this morning they were normal again.

The full-body scanners that they currently use in airports use electromagnetic rays - not x-rays - so there is virtually no risk to the baby by going through them. You're exposed to far more radiation while flying than you are going through any sort of scanning machine, but if it makes you feel better to ask for a pat-down, go for it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • *Lurking from A16*

-Get an aisle seat

Dude, I fart constantly when flying, pregnant or not. Is this a thing? Am I just a gas monster?
    I think the pressure change makes gas happen?
  • *Lurking from A16*

-Get an aisle seat

I do too! 
  • All of what everyone said and ask to preboard.
  • Oh and I asked to go through the metal detector because the line was shorter and they didn't make me do a pat down or anything. I was in and out much faster.
  • I'm flying across the Atlantic tonight and now I'm worried about my lack of compression socks  :o
  • @MommaBean can you run to the drug store and get a pair? that's a long flight and good chance you might swell up and get really uncomfortable. 
    welcoming our ewok 2/6/17
  • krobkrob member
    edited October 2016
    @MommaBean i flew here without socks and was fine, but after all the comments I had H go buy me some for our flight back today. 

Good luck on your trip! Enjoy London and try to do a proper afternoon tea. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Lol @krob I just texted my H. 
  • @MommaBean one last thing....the walk from the gate to terminal is FOREVER just be prepared. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • It appears OP posted and ran... this is quite the week for drive bys.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • It appears OP posted and ran... this is quite the week for drive bys.
    Yeah, she's definitely posted before but still annoying.
  • @krob I'll probably be ready for it after all that time cooped in an airplane! We're at the airport now waiting to leave... hope your return trip went/goes well!
  • SNACKS! Pack tons of snacks that are not just essentially salt sticks that will add to the swelling and crappy feeling. Maybe some veggies and hummus or an apple and PB! And I'd recommend to take wedding/engagement rings off before you fly and put them in a very very safe place! The swelling in my hands led to fiddling with them and almost losing my wedding band!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lots of good stuff already said. I'd add packing colace or a dr-approved stool softener just in case, and eating lots of fiber and ruffage before/during your trip. Flying makes me constipated when I'm not pregnant. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been traveling throughout my pregnancy and have planning a few trip well into my 3rd trimester. I suggest upgrading yourself to economy plus or comfort at least. Makes a huge difference. I have to take a red eye in a few weeks and I bought a first class seat.