October 2016 Moms
Options

Early term baby mamas

serenaxo84serenaxo84 member
edited October 2016 in October 2016 Moms
Started a new thread because I wasn't really sure where to put it!

as we near the end of October I know there are not many early term babies- but have a question specifically for these mamas! 

We just delivered on Oct 19th at 37 weeks (original  due date Nov 8th)- I am just curious if you found your babes to be very sleepy.  He does wake for a little while during the day but is very content only really fusses for diaper change and when I do wake him because he is hungry but I have to wake for every feeding, day and night. Did anyone else find this? 

Also- im not complaining if we have a content baby I know how lucky I am!  DS1 was full term and always wanting to eat and never really slept so this is such a stark contrast for me. And DS1 ALWAYS needed to be held to not cry. 

Re: Early term baby mamas

• Options
    Yes! I delivered my son at 35 weeks at the beginning of September and the first four weeks were "easy" in comparison to now because he was so sleepy most of the time.  Now his is letting his demands/screams be known
  • Options
    I technically had Reagan at 38w3d, but I think I was more like 37 weeks and some days (according to when I ovulated). She hardly ever opened her eyes the first week and I had to wake her at every feeding. I was getting a little concerned because people kept commenting on how much she was sleeping, saying that they'd never seen her with her eyes open. (People's unwanted remarks obviously don't end when you pop the baby out. Grrrr!)

The second week was a little better, but I really started to notice a difference in the third week. She's way more alert and waking to feed on her own. She still only cries when she's hungry or during a messy diaper change, but I think that's just her temperament. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my baby at 32+ 5. the NICU nurses said that early babies start out sleeping all the time due to their age and as they reach their due date and beyond they become more active. Emilia is now 8 weeks and one week past her original due date and awake a lot more.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!!! This makes me feel so much better! Ill be happy if he stays calm and content but I do wish he would wake up when he was hungry! I almost feel like I don't know if he's eating enough- but we have a lot of dirty diapers and he's started gaining so he must be! 

@copperboom86 I hate those comments! We have been seeing a different pedi cause ours is on vacation and he was like you might have a calm content baby or he might be lethargic bc he isn't eating enough. I almost died. But he gained 6.5oz in 24 hours and was still just as sleepy so I'm thinking it's just calm and content! And when I do wake him he does yell! Like everyone else he only makes a fuss when I change him or wake him!
  • Options
    I had DS1 at 35w and basically until he was full termish he slept all the time. I'd say he was probably awake less than an hour a day. Bc of his size and  prematurity we had to wake to feed every three hours exactly. It was so exhausting.  
  • Options
    I've had 3 early babes. This time I was 39 weeks according to the doctor but based on when I got pregnant I was only 37 plus a few days. But he sleeps all the time and is easy to settle and make fall asleep. Unlike my second who was not. I do somewhat think early term babies like their sleep more than due date babies. But that's based off my experience. I'm only in week 2 now. He slept most of week 1 away. This week he perks up in the morning and in the evening but most of the day he has pretty long naps still and sleeps at night. Not complaining but my poor boobs sometimes are dying before he wakes up to eat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am exhausted too. I am waking every 3 hours to eat as well and then trying to pump a few times a day cause i feed him an extra oz with the bottle after every feeding. While he is easy feeding so are taking like an hour!

im feeling sad for my toddler. He's been such a good sport but preschool said he's been extra weepy and misses his mom. It's been a rough couple of months with the bed rest and hospital stays and then a c section and a newborn. I hate wishing time away but i just can't wait until things normalize here and I can spend some good quality time with my first born. 
  • Options
    The girls were born at 36+6, and they were incredibly sleepy for a bit. Now they don't sleep. Hahahah
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins hahha I have a feeling this will be us too. 
  • Options
    I'm having all the same feelings with my toddler. He's 4.5 and has been such a trooper through all of our life changes in the past 9 months. He's been so resilient but I can't wait until things are a little easier and I can have my happy little boy back. He's definitely been having some behavioral changes with new baby, but I'm trying my best to embrace the changes myself. I honestly didn't think it would be so hard on all of us. 
  • Options
    @christinab0722 I feel you! My LO has been refusing dinner and demanding treats and just silly things like that! He's also been going to bed later because we are just trying to get our shit together so I'm sure that doesn't help. I've been trying to feed the baby before he goes to bed and put the baby down so that I can read DS1 bedtime stories without the  baby there. Just to get that little dose of one on one. I'm hoping that the weekend gives us some time too.