December 2016 Moms

WTF Wednesday 10.36.16

Re: WTF Wednesday 10.36.16

• I'll start, I'm livid this morning.  DH is on 3rd shift, has been for 3 1/2 years.  He is the second highest person on his shift and very respected at his company.  He has asked several times to move to first, and everyone there knows we have a baby on the way and it would be very helpful for him to be on first. His VP even goes to our church. Last night he found out that the newest person on his shift (has been there 3 months) is moving to first shift.  They have to shuffle around 4 people to make this happen. If DH moved to first (someone is retiring) they wouldn't have to do all this shuffling.

We have always assumed they are grooming him to take over management of third shift, despite knowing that is not what we want, but the training and flexibility and back up supervisor position he already has means they would have to train someone else for all of this.  So this just proves that theory.  And of course with a new baby coming looking for a new job really isn't an option.  WTF!

• WTF to the stomach bug that I contracted over the weekend and can't get rid of.  My doctor didn't seem too concerned when I called in, so I'm just waiting it out and trying to keep fluids down.  But I'd really like to avoid having to make up missed days by working 12 hour shifts while pregnant, not fun.  Plus I'm pretty sure my boss and all of my employees hate me for taking so much time off from being sick lately.  I'm not enjoying this.

Me: 39 DH: 36
    Married: Sept 2018
    DS: December 2016
    #2 EDD Feb 2020

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @DiFazette I see the same thing and agree w/ you... It always makes me think of guys in clubs who do or say gross things to try to pick women up - while it's not something I would ever do, it must work at least some of the time or they'd stop doing it...maybe???? I've considered posting an "ISO free/cheap office chair" message, but never have because would feel SO awkward and embarrassed to assume that someone would give me a freebie just because we are having financial problems and can't really buy our own new one. I'd rather investigate options privately and see what I can find. Maybe I'm the idiot paying for stuff when people would give it to me for free? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I always find it funny with some of those "ISO free" threads when people comment and say where they can find CHEAP items of what they're looking for - thrift stores, Goodwill, Savers and then some. I think it's nice that people want to help out, but there are places to look before asking... unless you're really that strapped for cash.

Or, they act like they have NO idea where to find stuff... "Getting my own apartment and have NO furniture, can you help out?" and obviously failing to use the Search function to find things that they may need - couch, table, tv stand, everything else.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• I'm the boss this week at work (1st level, so about 12 people under me and 1 above). Well, yesterday I ended up in the hospital for 5 hours and had emailed my real boss who Im filling in for, and the big boss about it. My boss gets online to check things in the evening and assigns me 4 extra tasks for me to complete today, knowing I might have still been in the hospital. 2 of those tasks are very high visibility in the organization. Great.

Im actually at home teleworking today to collect my pee for 24 hours and check blood pressure every hour...so it ended up being fine, I can do the work today. It was just like "really?!?". Maybe making the pregnant lady who has had recent complications/hospitalizations the boss for a week may not be the best idea...oh well.

My other WTF: I cant get any of my own work done while Im the boss. I have 20 work days left if I stay out of the hospital that long...have a list a mile long to get done...and cant get a single thing finished. :/
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• My friend and I are making cupcakes for my shower this weekend to save on money (place nearby charges $15/dz for mini cupcakes and $30/dz for regular size). My mom is the only person at the shower that has any dietary "restrictions" (nothing diagnosed, but has self appointment gluten intolerance, selective vegetarian, and prefers less sugary options), so with this in mind I am having the bakery make a dozen GF carrot cupcakes because I don't want to add the extra work onto us before the shower and so that she can enjoy some dessert. DH doesn't dislike GF options and carrot cake is his preferred cake choice if forced to eat cake (likes pies and ice cream more than cake). Before I chose carrot, I asked my mom her flavor preferences from a long list that the bakery offers. Carrot was one of them, so I thought "win/win" - but then she adds, whichever one has the least refined sugar is what I would prefer...WTF, I am sorry, I am going out of my way to cater to your GF desire, you get to pick one or the other, no gluten or no refined sugar.

I am always so hesitant to help out people. I know it may make me a horrible person, but unless I know the person personally and even then, I am still hesitant because so many of these people out there looking for hand outs often make poor choices that put themselves in those positions. I'll gladly donate to an organization or a charity, but not to people. I've seen too many people take advantage. Like one friend, she did a Go Fund Me to help pay for her dog to be shipped from Alaska to KY when they were switching bases and the dog was her autistic son's best friend. Sounds like a great cause, but then after they got all the money they needed, the airline donated the flight for the dog and she used the money for herself. Another person was attacked and stabbed, and Go Fund Me raised $30K in 3 days for her to help cover her medical bills and loss of income during her recovery...and now probably a month or so after the incident, she's off traveling around the country.
  • Why is it so hard to find a crib skirt that matches the theme I am going for and doesn't cost $40+? And most sheets are relatively inexpensive?

I knew I wanted a navy chevron for something in the crib, whether sheets or the skirt. I decided on just going with the skirt as plain navy sheets are easy and it would be nice to have a pattern hanging down. Well, can't find anything in stores so I look online - Etsy, Carousel Designs, and some more. They are not cheap, or what I would consider a reasonable price to pay. I guess I can take into consideration how long we'll use them for (4-5 years) and weigh that cost, but still. I just didn't like any of the sets out there, which would have probably solved this problem.

• @AbriannaO I'm with you on the gofundme pages. They are one of my biggest pet peeves. I've seen several terrible ones (my car broke down, need my bills paid, etc) but the worst was one where a couple created one for a honeymoon fund. Then relentlessly shared it for the past 3-4 months. I'm sorry but a honeymoon is definitely a want not a need. Save your money and pay for it yourself.

My WTF for today goes to myself. My boss asked me what it would take for me to come back from maternity leave early today and I just froze. I have the answer in my head all planned out (raise+better benefits+paid maternity leave) but I just drew a blank. Now I need to awkwardly bring it up to him again. Ugh pregnancy brain.
  • @Kacie209 we got a crib skirt for DD1...it was probably like 25ish on amazon but its plain grey. I hate to tell you...those things are a PAIN IN THE BUTT! Its so hard to keep it looking nice when you change crib sheets so often. It's still on there and my 2 year old is using the toddler bed configuration, but around her 3rd birthday, maybe 3.5 years, she will be in a full size bed just because she's already nearly as tall as the mattress! But she sleeps with her legs under her like a frog so its not an issue yet. My kid is weird.

I decided to skip the skirt for this kiddo. Just not worth the hassle when (in my opinion) it doesnt add much to the look of the room. But I know some people are die hard bed skirt people...I just hate them.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @Kacie209, another thing to consider about crib bedsheets is that the height settings can change.  Not sure how this is typically accounted for with crib sets, but the skirt that my mom had custom made for me doesn't take this into account at all and drags the ground horribly when the crib is on the low setting, which bothers me for whatever reason.

My WTF is directed to our contractors...they said they'd finish the sunroom renovation project at our house by the end of this week. They didn't show up at all on Monday and worked maybe 3-4 hours yesterday.  There is literally no chance in hell of them finishing this week at the current pace...they still need to lay the floor, paint the room, trim/case the Windows and doors, and install a few transom windows.  My patience with this is running thin, especially since this is week 6 on a project originally estimated to be completed after 3 weeks.

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • @sourlemon and @H4aPartyof5 Thanks for the responses on it. :) The crib we got has a drawer underneath, so their is a huge gap of space when the mattress is at one of the highest heights, like we have it now. The skirt will at least cover that space and we'll figure out something else later on when the mattress gets lowered over the years. I don't mind skirts on beds and had it not had that drawer, it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I will have to check out Amazon again!

• @Kate08Young I'm sorry to giggle at your misfortune, but isn't that the way it works?  So much stress about that stictch holding against early labor signs and now that it's out, no sign of labor.  Keep us posted!

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @Kate08Young yey for the stitch being taken out! I'm sorry to hear about the contrax stopping. I suppose it isn't a huge surprise though as sudden changes like that or even emotional changes can quickly stop them, yes? I hope things pick back up for you soon and you get to meet your little E!

Pregnancy Ticker 

• @kacie209 Did you check target? I know they have a navy chevron sheet. There is a gray chevron bed skirt for sure, and I know it also comes in pink, so maybe navy too?
  • @DiFazette I had/have a bet going with H, about exactly this. Since she has had a week of 'permission' to come nothing has been remotely close, until we hit the end of my b-day. Just because I didn't really want to share it. Oh well, now I have permission to start my tea and walking a ton.

@ajstevenson The nurse, On-call, and I think that maybe the stitch was causing most of my PTL, as she was pushing/weighing down on it and my body couldn't adapt like it wanted. So the contrax may have been a way to try and re-arrange everything to be more comfortable.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @AbriannaO Clearly you need to get your mother a fruit plate. It satisfies ALL her needs. ;)
    @Kate08Young Hopefully things pick up for you soooooon!!!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @Kate08Young - I'm glad you're nearing the end of this stressful pregnancy but I'm torn in rooting for you to be done and rooting for baby E to get more cook time! Though in any case I'm DEFINITELY rooting for you to have an uneventful trip to the hospital and labor and delivery. I'm so sorry this has been such a ridiculous ride. One thing that was definitely true for me last time - my pregnancy helped make newborn challenges feel so much more comparatively manageable...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • @PensiveCrayon Fingers Crossed!!

@slartybartfast I bet she will try to be just as unpredictable in the outside as she has been so far.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• It's very interesting about the people asking for free stuff and how it definitely varies from area to area.  I live in a *very* rural area and the local exchanges and things I see on social media rarely have anything about "ISO Free" things.  I think people gain some big heavy balls when they're anonymous and don't feel the least bit sheepish about publically asking for help when they've been lazy and not exhausted any other options yet.  This concept would be similar to all of the hateful comments I see/read on social media under hot topic articles.. People are SO MEAN with their words and I truly don't think they'd ever be confident enough to actually say it to someone's face.

Image result for sheepish aladdin

Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • cgss11 I actually have the navy chevron blanket from there, as well as the solid navy sheets! I liked the feel of them compared to the chevron sheets that they also have. They just don't have a crib skirt that goes with it, except in plain white. BBB has chevron sheets from the JoJo brand, but again... nothing that matches for the crib. but, I think the solid navy will look good with the chevron - just need to bite the bullet and spend the money. I'll probably go the Etsy route!

• penelope4612penelope4612 member
    edited October 2016
    I'm with you guys on the goFundMe and asking for handouts.  I feel like people are way more likely these days to not take responsibility for their own problems and expect others to fix things for them and it's really sad.

@sourlemon - work is also driving me crazy.  I keep having things on my schedule that get rescheduled and I simply am running out of weeks to reschedule to.  When I try to suggest I don't have time 3 weeks from now because my schedule is crazy full, my boss is like, well ask someone else to do it.  Great, thanks, I really love asking people to do my work like a jerk when I could have done it myself if we had met when we were supposed to.

I say this like everyday but I hate public transit. Everyone around me is sick.  This is so gross.  I used to be able to walk to work but no more with this back pain.  Gross gross gross.
  • @Kate08Young yay for your stitch coming out!  That's exciting stuff.

My wtf goes to my DH.  I'm currently sitting in the nursery with the dog because the Fios guy is here and this seems to be the only room without a tv (the dog sucks around people trying to work).  I go in there and it's freezing, so I wanted to open up the vents.  DH goes - that won't do anything - I'm not turning the heat on.  Booooooooo!  I'm cold.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• @Kacie209 I'm kind of regretting our skirt purchase already. We went the Etsy route and spent way too much money in custom stuff. I (well my mom) paid extra to have trim on the script. But we didn't think that the bottom of the crib has a peice down there that covers the entire trim. And it already touches the ground on the highest setting. So when it gets moved down I guess it just pools on the floor? I'm going to try and mess with it and pin it up somehow, but seems like a pain. 

I'd say get a cheap one. It'll be cute for a while but probably not for long. 
  • @Kacie209 for what it's worth, I stressed over the perfect crib skirt. Finally bought one and it looks like crap. I'm very glad I bought a cheaper one. 
  • My MIL insisted that we setup a gofundme for our IVF. It was very awkward. We never promoted it or posted it on Facebook though. It was essentially done just to appease her and DHs family. That being said I am grateful for those people who did donate. 

My wtf is I am getting sick. Ugh, people who are sick should not be working. I fully intend on calling in if I get any worse, I just wish others would/had the option to do the same. I will be really sad if I break my 'haven't called in sick while pregnant' streak.

Me:27   H:30
    Till death do us part: 7.2.2011
    Trying to conceive since 01.2014
    Low AFC and azoospermia
    IVF #1 03.2016 - BFP 03.28.2016
    Due: 12.05.2016

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • ErikandAftonErikandAfton member
    edited October 2016
    @Kate08Young Yay for your stitch coming out! Prayers that everything else goes smoothly!

My WTF goes to my dentist. He saw me in September and knew I was pregnant. Totally forgot who I was when I got there today, which whatever, but then says oh you are the one that got pregnant. Really you're an educated man and you speak that way "got pregnant". Then he proceeds to tell me how small I am. Dude you're a dentist not an OB is none of your business how big I am!!! 

My other WTF is I'm so over people telling me how small I am. I'm eating, L is measuring on track. Leave me alone about it!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • l9il9i member
    @ErikandAfton YES to the people saying how small you are!  My work people do this more than they should.  I'm so tempted just to put them in their place about not knowing what their talking about and tell them my baby is actually massive and measuring weeks ahead (true).  But then that will lead to even more questions and continuous conversation.... sigh
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
  • I'm just over people feeling like they can comment on my body. It bothered the hell out of me before I got pregnant, and it is just super inappropriate. I've got one coworker - a woman who has kids - who asks me every time she sees me if I'm ready to pop. Um, I have 5 more weeks, and she's been saying this for months. Thanks lady.
  • My mom ALWAYS comments on "how big the baby" has gotten whenever she sees me. Then sneaks in that my face looks bloated. Or how large my boobs have gotten. I just want to tell her to stop commenting in general. It makes me feel gross. 

@PensiveCrayon I am sure she would find something wrong with a fruit plate - "oh wait, you mean this isn't organic fruit?!?" Maybe if she would eat a donut and enjoy life she would stop complaining about food.