March 2017 Moms

Registry!

Have any of you started your registry?  I'm not due until March but am thinking about starting one soon.  That way, as I research products I can add them and keep everything in one place.  I've also had family request that I register soon so they can look for deals around the holidays.  

I've looked at several registry guides that tell you what to register for, but as a first time mom I'm really not sure what's necessary, and what would never get used.  How many packages of each size diapers should I register for? Should I include the pricier items or just plan on buying those myself (or just telling the people who have told us they want to buy certain things, like the crib.)  What items should I definitely leave off? 

I would love to hear your advice and what you have/are registering for!

Re: Registry!

• No way, you're not due until March? How strange that you would be on this board!

Did you read any of the pinned posts? Pretty sure there have been threads about this already...
    This is true,we have had several posts regarding registry items. Also we have several posts called Ask a STM     (second time mom), where a lot of questions about baby items have also been asked.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would say register for everything you want...if people don't buy it you can use a completion discount at bru to by it yourself. 

I think what to register for is up to you. How much space do you have? What kind of lifestyle do you have? Its a hard question to answer out of the blue. 

As for diapers, I say a handful of size nb and 1s from different brands. You never know what will work. 

I already started one even though I'm not sharing it. They are super convenient. 

I cant think of other things that have been mentioned before. Maybe a search of the board could find a thread with the ideas I forgot?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't register for diapers. I think many
    people seem to get them anyways for showers regardless. Read Lucie's list for a good summary of each category and read through the ask a STM threads on this board here. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • pandalily said:
    I wouldn't register for diapers. I think many
    people seem to get them anyways for showers regardless. Read Lucie's list for a good summary of each category and read through the ask a STM threads on this board here. 
    I did. Because why not? Ill take a 10% discount come February! :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh that's true @longliveregina. How could I forget the completion discount! I have like $80 in rewards points at my drug store so between that and my employee discount I'll be stocking up :smiley:
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used pinterest to get an idea of the necessities. I think i have a pretty good registry set up.  At first i set one up on amazon and was able to pick things that had great reviews.  But then i decided to just use target and BRU and was able to add pretty much all the same things that i found on amazon.  
  • Thank you to the who left helpful and kind replies!  Very good points about registering for everything I want, and diapers so I can use the completion discount for items that don't get purchased. I think a trip to the store will help me decide what I want/need! 
  • sunshine507sunshine507 member
    edited October 2016

Definitely check out the past registry posts :) 

We've been slowly starting ours, FTM here too. We're using Amazon.com and right now we're focusing on researching the big items (crib, mattress, carseat, stroller, etc)- I've been watching The Baby Guy's videos a ton since we went to a Gearapalooza event, which I'd recommend if you're a FTM and want to get lots of data-based safety info at once (it's still entertaining). I feel like working from the big stuff to smaller stuff is making it all feel more manageable, and the more walk-throughts of Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, etc I make the less overwhelmed I feel. 
    We're putting everything on the registry but before we send out the link I definitely plan to have items with a range of prices on there... anything others don't buy us I want that completion discount on, and I like that Amazon gives us 60 days before the due date to use the discount. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I mentioned this on an earlier registry thread, but don't forget free gift bags! Many places (Babies R' Us, Target, Buy Buy Baby, probably others I don't know about) have free gift bags if you start a registry with them. It has a ton of freebies (bottles, pacifiers, etc.), samples, and coupons. I started registeries at all three places just to get my free stuff. 

If you register in store, they will give it to you right there. If you register online, like I did, just go into the store to the registry desk (or customer service desk at Target) and let them know that you set up your registry online - they will verify and then give you the gift bag. It's a super sweet deal. 

(Also, if you have Amazon Prime, they also do a "welcome package" but you have to jump through a few hoops first to get it, and you have to pay for Prime). 
  • Lucie's list does a "cheat sheet" for registries that gives you advice on what you'll likely need and likely won't. IT also comes with product reviews/suggestions for which brands are best if you're wanting to go on the cheaper end, versus if you're happy to pay the top dollar. I think they send it to you free when you signup for their newsletter. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A registry really shouldn't be overwhelming. It's just a list of things or gifts you would like. You'll figure it out when the baby gets here as all baby items work differently with different babies. One might love a swing, one might hate it. Just make sure you have the basics before baby is here and those lists can be googled. Don't make it too hard on yourselves. 
  • I wouldn't worry about registering for clothes or blankets - you will get a lot of those as presents and most people will buy the cute clothes they like and not necessarily go off of the registry.  

I don't quite remember how far in advance I created my registry, but between the time of setting it up and needing to buy the items - my travel system and high chair were already discontinued.  I think some of the brand name type of items will change seasonally so just be sure to recheck the list after the holidays and before a shower to see that the items are available.  

Also, a lot more things are available on-line than in stores so if many people will be shopping off of it for holidays or shower and you know they are more in-store shopping people - be sure to have a good in-store selection.  

I wouldn't stock up on one specific type of bottle, or if you do, don't open the package so you can return it.  I've heard lots of people research and buy a certain brand and the baby gets picky and you have to try out a few different brands until the baby approves.

As for diapers - you will probably get a lot as gifts, but they usually are the small packages.  I would do the same as the bottles and not open any packages until needed because baby will be in one size forever and then go through the next size in 2 weeks.  Always frustrating if you have an open pack you can't use.

Good Luck!
  • I wouldn't worry about registering for clothes or blankets - you will get a lot of those as presents and most people will buy the cute clothes they like and not necessarily go off of the registry.  

Plus clothes go out of stock really quickly so you have to keep replacing them :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is anyone else using Baby List? Should we be setting up a registry in a brick and mortar store? 

Also, my good friend gave me a lightly used Chicco Key Fit infant car seat and base, but I'm struggling on finding a stroller I like to go with it-- should I register for a system I do like?
  • @jomarma I had a few things on babylist when I was entering a contest. They would email me when prices changed or suggestions on stuff but honestly I thought it was hard to find everything I wanted. I'm sticking with Amazon since I can always add items from other websites like Etsy
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well we went to BBB today & continued the hunt for the perfect stroller...It may not exist  :D. The Citi Mini GT is awesome but I wish it had a bassinet option.  The Uppa Vista is pretty awesome.  Ran into a mom who gave it a glowing review, has had it for 5/6yrs now & loved it.  So maybe I don't need bigger tires.  It is so easy to open & close, so many options.  I wish the wheels were bigger - my only qualm.  I can't find the Bugaboo Buffalo in any stores  :(

Very glad we tried on the baby carriers.  I ended up preferring the Baby Bjorn, hubby loves the Stokke (I think it's a good option for a taller guy, lots of the others were a bit akward on him, however not my favorite).
  • cbhemi1218cbhemi1218 member
    edited November 2016
    @jomarma i am also recieving a chicco key fit carseat.  i put the chicco Viaro stroller on my registry because it carries the car seat or can be used as a regular stroller as the baby gets bigger.  or there is the chicco liteway plus stroller.  might be worth checking out.