January 2017 Moms

Best stretches for lower back pain?

I have been having some stiffness and back pain the last few days.  I think it is just normal pregnancy aches and pains but I will mention it to my OB next week at my appointment.  I am looking for some good and safe stretches I can do to help loosen up my back.  The pain is mostly right after standing and when walking. 
BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

Re: Best stretches for lower back pain?

• Child's pose and cats pose from yoga are good and they are safe and easy to do
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Also not a stretch but I just got a pregnancy support band - it's amazing! It would help take some strain off your back.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Loading the player...
  • My OB just recommended a support band to me today as well! And when we stopped by CVS to get our flu shot I picked up one of those $5 back massagers and HOLY COW it feels so nice on my back.
  • I am going to do a heating pad tonight and have DH give me a back rub :smile:  Definitely time to look into a support belt.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Leaning back on an exercise ball or foam roller helps me. Also using a doorway, hold on to the molding and lean forward at hips keeping your legs straight. This one really gets the spot for me. 
    And #6,7 below. 

• Cat/cow pose is good for lower back mobility. And any stretches that open the hips and/or hamstrings can help, eg, pigeon. My MW also recommended side stretches, but it's important to make sure your pelvis stays properly aligned when you stretch each side. 
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    edited October 2016
    I spend about 15-20 min a night in child's pose right before bed. I can tell a huge difference between the nights I do it, and the nights I don't. Also, I use my yoga/birth ball all the time to lean on or over, which is also a life saver. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited October 2016
    Yoga poses that are pregnancy safe include down dog, extended triangle and warrior II (besides cat/cow and child's pose mentioned above) 

i also like to stand at a 1/2 forward fold, like rest my head and arms on the back of the couch, hold my back nice and straight and long (make my spine long) and just let my belly hang for a bit. The weight of this belly makes my hips hurt every night and my back hurt in the mornings  :disappointed:
  • I agree with PP on Child's pose.  It helps me SO much with stretching my lower back.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Child's pose is my most favorite. I do it when I wake up in the morning and before I go to sleep.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I agree with the ladies above cat/cow and Child's Pose are amazing. Personally, child's pose is difficult for me lately if I don't warm up beforehand, but cat/cow are aaaalways good.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was just asking my yoga Instructor about this the other day. She said that cat/cow, pigeon, and child's pose are best to do yourself at home because they are simple enough to do yourself without much risk of getting hurt. 

Sitting on a birthing ball has really helped me. I was skeptical, but it works.
  • Personally I find doing a kneeling twist/ thread the needle is great as well. Just be sure to go slow, you can't twist as far when you're pregnant.
  • Oooh, there is one I do at the gym that feels amazing. I use a pull down bar and go from starting position straight back into a horizontal position. It feels amazing. I imagine you could replicate the motions on an exercise ball.

FYI, your OB or midwife may be willing to write you a prescription to have a support band paid for by your insurance. It's worth a shot.
  • I just sit in child's pose at night to stretch it all out, but I have had some pretty intense lower back and hip stiffness to the point it sometimes seizes up and makes it hard to walk/move. My OB wasn't too concerned because I have a history of chronic back pain due to a car accident but she did suggest physio. I think I may try a prental massage in the next few weeks though and possibly even chiro, I want to be in tip top shape for labour! 

• Does anyone else find that they get a rush of blood to the head in child's pose? I'm not finding it comfortable anymore because of this, which is disappointing.
  • @LoneStar21416 I haven't had this with child's pose but have with other random poses/positions. 

I always now do child's pose with my knees really wide - normally wider than my yoga mat - and I don't really expect to extend as much from my shoulders, or to have my butt reach my heels if that makes sense. Have you tried placing something under your head for support? You can also do the pose fully supported with a bolster or pillow under your torso. 

@laufisch good call on thread the needle! I haven't had terrible lower back pain but I have had a lot of pain in my upper back and ribs. I've been trying different gentle twists to try to get to it and will definitely be working this in too!
  • Great advice, @krb22.  I hadn't even thought of that.  

I thought I had been experiencing back pain isolated to my right side, but I actually think it is more of a hip pain that is radiating at times.  It was pretty bad yesterday at points, mostly when walking, but now seems to really have calmed down.  I had my husband massage along the top of the glute and out to the outer right hip and that might have loosened those muscles a little.
  • @LoveStar21416 I have actually felt this a few times. But like @KRB22 said I started spreading knees out really wide and try not to stretch too far.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker