January 2017 Moms

Toddler Tuesday

I loved reading everyone's responses last time. Let's check in and see how everyone with toddlers is fairing these days. 

1. How old are your toddlers?
2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately?
3. What's been a challenge?
4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well?
5. Other rants/raves?

Re: Toddler Tuesday

• 1. 15 month DD
    2. She started putting her hands up and saying "I don't know" when we ask her where something is, even if she knows. 
    3. Seasonal allergies in a toddler is a nightmare. She's congested and has itchy eyes but our pedi wouldn't approve anything since she's under 2 so we've just been getting by with saline drops and a humidifier but any time we try to wipe her nose it's a fight to the death
    4. I think she has a vague idea but not really? So we haven't been doing anything other than encouraging her to not stand on her baby dolls' heads or poke them in their eyes. 
    5. Meh. Just the usual toddler stuff
  • Cute!

1. How old are your toddlers? Owen's 4. 
    2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? He's been crazy obsessed with coloring/drawing the past week. Yesterday at his Grandma's house he decorated a box, filled it with pictures/letters for me, and sealed it up to give me. My heart is a puddle. 
    3. What's been a challenge? Following directions can be challenging some days. We had to start a sticker chart to get the stuff done faster in the mornings (get clothes on, brush teeth, etc), so far so good though.
    4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? Owen's so old now that he really gets what's going on with the baby and that he'll have a little brother soon. Whenever he finds something in the house that was his when he was a baby he says "OH! I CAN GIVE THIS TO BABY GOGO!" I have all my fingers crossed that he stays this cool about sharing once the baby is here. 
    5. Other rants/raves? I look forward to the day that he expands his food repertoire and eats more than the same 15 things every.single.day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @katesmama0706 I know a lot of people who use elderberry syrup with great success for their toddler's allergies. We also use a blend of lemon, lavender and peppermint essential oils for allergies- diffused or rubbed on feet with a carrier oil. 
  • stumptownmamastumptownmama member
    edited October 2016
    1. My girl just turned two on the 16th. 
    2.  So much cuteness! She's been blowing raspberries on my belly every day and pretending to feed the baby through my belly button. She loves to "cheers" people with drinks, eating utensils, bananas, anything really. She loves putting on mine or DHs shoes, hats, scarves and walking around the house. She hides random objects in weird places- DH found a toothbrush, receipt, sippy cup and mr. Potato head glasses in his backpack. 
    3. Potty training is getting better. She's doing really well lately- hasn't worn a diaper outside of nap and nighttime for 7 weeks. However, at naptime she has been taking off her diaper and pooping or peeing in her tent (yes, she naps in a tent) and then won't nap. This happens at least 3 times a week. 
    4.  She knows baby's name and that she lives in my tummy and that she is someone we love. But she still isn't responding to the idea of being a sister or that the baby will come out. For Christmas I will get her a new doll that she can feed, change, care for and a baby doll carrier so she can be like mama. I need to get a few books. Any recommendations?

• Love this!

1. Tylen is 16 months old.
    2. He has been a really big momma's boy lately. Everytime I so much as move positions on the couch he says "mommy!!" With an emphasis on the y, super cute!
    3. He is greatly approaching his terrible twos, he ignores the word "no" and laughs when he does something naughty. He also just discovered how to spit water out of his mouth. 
    4. He has no clue, he keeps poking my belly as it gets bigger. I am actually pretty worried about the transition. As I mentioned he is a huge momma’s boy.
    5. Everyday he seems to inch closer to his mischievous side and his terrible twos. I just want to hold on to my innocent little cuddle bug a little while longer!

• 1. How old are your toddlers?
    4 going on 5
    Consistently going on the potty with no accidents!  I have been awaiting this day!
    His attitude.  Toddlers are basically small teenagers.
    4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well?
    He loves giving my belly hugs and kisses, and has magnanimously donated one of his 1000 stuffed animals for his future sister's use.
    5. Other rants/raves?
    He got a flu shot today and didn't even flinch!  I was worried but he was just psyched to get a band-aid.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sagoon my daughter didn't even flinch for her flu shot either! we've always had tears so I was so surprised!
  • 1. How old are your toddlers? 15 months
    2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? When I ask if he is ready for a nap he will grab his blanket and lay on the ground or bring it to his crib.
    3. What's been a challenge? He learned how to climb out of his crib so we moved it to the lowest setting. I have a feeling it won't be long until he can still get out.
    4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? I don't think he understands the concept yet.
    5. Other rants/raves? I feel like I have to give him more attention now because I won't be able to give him as much once the baby is here.
  • . How old are your toddlers? - She's 3, she will be 4 in Jan
    2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? She's really into posing for the camera lately so always wants pictures. 
    3. What's been a challenge? She talks/yells back at us now when we tell her not to do something which isn't fun, she will say "don't tell that to me!" or "don't you say NO to me!" or if we say something in a mad tone she will say "OK Jeez Mom!" it's hard not to laugh, she sounds so old.
    4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? She knows she has a baby brother coming and talks about him a lot now.
    5. Other rants/raves? She's been really good now when we go to stores or restaurants and it's nice to not have that stress anymore but now we will be starting all over with a new one.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• 1. How old are your toddlers? 16 months
    2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? She learned how to say "go go go!" from one of her books and has been running around the living room saying it lol
    3. What's been a challenge? Bedtime has been a little more of a battle - we're pretty sure she's teething.  Canines seem to be going worse than her molars!
    4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? She knows there's a new baby in my belly, but I don't think she really knows what that means haha
    5. Other rants/raves? I've been reading Oh Crap Potty Training and I'm feeling really enthusiastic about starting it in December when she's 18 months.  I may come to regret these words lol.  But I would really love to get a head start before the new baby is here - I'm due at the end of January, so we could be 8 weeks in by the time she's here!
    my son is 2 
    everything lately ☺️ He's becoming such a mommys boy. I love how he wants me all the time and only wants to cuddle up with me at night. 
    we're trying to potty train him, the peeing on the toilet is going good, but he is holding his poop in, so he is getting backed up which is making potty training a litter harder.
    He always opens up my pregnancy app and says it's mommys baby in mommys belly, but I really don't think he knows what's coming.  
    5. Other rants/raves?
    we carved his pumpkin with him last night and he wanted nothing to do with what was inside, it was hilarious because my DH tried so hard to get him to touch it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    He turned 2 in July

He came into bed this morning and was super snuggly. I asked him if he was my snuggle bug and he very matter of factly answered "no, I'm Cole!" It was so cute and sweet I just had to laugh. 

He's been off and on again sick with a sinus infection and it's made him more
    clingt and whiney than usual, but hoping he kicks it soon!

Right now he tells us the baby is stuck in my belly, which cracks me up. He knows the baby's name too. I've slowly been going through his baby clothes and I have him help me and we talk about how it's for the new baby in hope that it helps him prepare a little more. 

5. Other rants/raves?
    It's slowly hitting me that everything we do with him this holiday season will be the last time as an only child. It makes me sad, but I know giving him a sibling is such a great gift. I'm just trying to soak in as much time him knowing that our new addition will be here before we know it!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 1. How old are your toddlers? 3 year old boy. 

2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? Not cute, in my opinion, but it definitely shows what I'm dealing with. He was grabbing himself this weekend, and I asked if he needed to go to the potty. He looked at me like I was an idiot, and he said, "No, I'm just scratching my balls." Where he got that I have no idea. His dad swears he's never said anything like that around him, which I doubt. If not him, I guess daycare. Do 3 year olds really talk like that? Lord help me. 

3. What's been a challenge? See above. Lol

4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? He understands I'm pregnant. I really don't think he gets that the baby is coming out and what it will be like when he's here in person. 

5. Other rants/raves? Being a parent is hard and rewarding and sometimes hilarious. You just do the best you can in the moment. Lol
    3 years and 14 months
    We have been shopping for a minivan.  DS1 calls them campfires because he thinks they are campers.  He got a Ninja Turtle book for his birthday and one of the figurines is Krang the mutant brain.  He thinks it is a spider and calls it Mr. Guinnea Pig.  It sleeps with him every night. 

DS2 is my little crazy pants.  He is really into dancing and does this hilarious side step move where he looks over his shoulder.  He really loves jumping and hops all over the house. 
    Eh, they have both been doing really well lately. 
    My oldest does, he is very excited.  He is figuring things out as we go along.  He likes to put his blankie under his shirt and tell me he has a baby too. 
    5. Other rants/raves?
    Both seem to be coming out of their weird sleep phases which makes me happy :) The last few nights no one has come in to my room or called for me from 8 pm -7 am.  It has been wonderful! 
  • @karaelaine1991 I read and followed Oh Crap Potty Training too. We started the beginning of September when DD was 22 1/2 months. It was so much more work than I anticipated, but I can't imagine doing it with a newborn. So good job for going for it now. It will pay off! DD still has accidents especially when she is distracted by play but she's never had an accident away from home- through ballet, soccer, story time and restaurants. I've been happy with her her progress but had to adjust my expectations. Feel free to PM me if you need  some encouragement once you get started! 
  • @karaelaine1991 I read and followed Oh Crap Potty Training too. We started the beginning of September when DD was 22 1/2 months. It was so much more work than I anticipated, but I can't imagine doing it with a newborn. So good job for going for it now. It will pay off! DD still has accidents especially when she is distracted by play but she's never had an accident away from home- through ballet, soccer, story time and restaurants. I've been happy with her her progress but had to adjust my expectations. Feel free to PM me if you need  some encouragement once you get started! 
    Thank you! :)
    She is 2 (27 months).

She tells everyone that her brother is in her tummy AND my tummy. She gets a huge smile on her face and sometimes lifts her shirt and pats her little belly. It's the cutest thing!

She's always been VERY independent, but lately she wants to do EVERYTHING herself. Usually it's fine, but when we're trying to get out the door in the morning, and she won't let me help her zip her coat, it's unbelievably frustrating.

She knows she's getting a brother, but she has no idea what that entails. I routinely cry about her not being an only child anymore. We are incredibly bonded (she's my little buddy) and I hope it all goes well. 

5. Other rants/raves? 
    She just makes me laugh so much. She's the best.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. How old are your toddlers? He will be 16 months in 2 weeks <3
    2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? He will come charging around the corner with his head cocked to the side, stare at me then laugh and take off back the way he came, it's so cute!!!
    3. What's been a challenge? He is super attached to me lately. Everyone says he can sense something different t about me, and it's been making it so hard to leave him at the babysitters. He doesn't spend more than 2.5 hours with her, since I started on 2nd shift. But he just screams bloody murder when I leave the room, or anyone for that fact actually. He has horrible seperation anxiety. I noticed last week it was a little better if I gave him food when we get there, or pull his toys out. But he stills whine when he sees me head to the door. I've tried sneaking out and I can hear him by the time I get to my car. It breaks my heart. 
    4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? I try to practice everyday "hi baby" or "hi sissy". He thinks it's a game, and laughs, or he says "hiiii sssssssss" then laughs. I've been working on words in general with him but I really would like to get those ones going, since we don't have a dog or a cat lol 
    5. Other rants/raves? My fiance broke the sleep system we had going right before I started the 2nd shift job, so he's back to sleeping in our bed, which is hard cause he kicks bad like me. And turns sideways. All the time lol I told E that during my leave I was going to try to get them both on a feeding/sleeping schedule....well see how well that works lol

• klw1986klw1986 member
    edited November 2016
    1. How old are your toddlers? She is 2 1/2 2. What's something cute they've been doing lately? She's been very cuddly and she's not usually a cuddler. 3. What's been a challenge? She's super stubborn, and even more so lately. 4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Yes, she talks about her baby brother everyday. She plans to help change his diaper, feed him bottles, and feed him cookies lol. 2 out of the 3 would be helpful! Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? I have no idea. We're a little nervous about it, but I figure we will figure it out as we go. 5. Other rants/raves? She cracks me up. She loves to make people laugh, and she's just so sweet (when she's not being stubborn). And she's still a total Momma's girl, which I love right now, but it might pose a challenge after baby brother is here!
          We have one and she'll be five on the 24th.
          Honestly, we haven't had much cute going on. She's been pretty bratty lately. :|
          Her attitude. In her mind, she's at least 15. She doesn't like it when anyone tells her what to do or (the worst  offense) that she's too little for something.
         She does and she's so excited. Sometimes she'll start crying and saying 'I just can't wait until January! How much longer until the baby comes?!'
    5. Other rants/raves?
         I'm so over how much her school demands from parents. Every single day she brings home more papers asking for money or volunteers or to send something in for 'such and such' day. I signed up to volunteer for a party on Friday but now I have a sinus infection and I'm absolutely dreading it. :(
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • 1. My DD is 3 1/2 years old.
    2.  She has been super cute lately with taking care of her "babies."  This includes her stuffed animals and baby dolls.  She makes sure they are all taken care of each day.  And, when she does this, she lets met know she is going to help with her little sister.
    3. The biggest challenge is her being a threeanger.  It is real.  She is very independent and wants to do everything herself.  We are also currently in a repeating mode which is proving to be extremely challenging.  
    4. DD understands she is going to be a big sister and is very excited.  I still need to go to Barnes and Noble to pick her up a book so we can read about her role as a big sister.
    5. Someone else mentioned it being the last holiday with just one which makes me sad too.  It is hitting me that our family is growing which I am very excited about and am scared about how DD will truly act once her little sister is her.  She is definitely a Mommy's girl.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love this idea!

1. How old are your toddlers? My DD is 2 (Turned 2 in September)

2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? She has got the concept down of saying "no" or "yeah" when we ask her questions. She loves to watch Nemo with her little stuffed animal Nemo, I feel like the movie is on repeat but it's hard to say no when she asks for "Meemo Moomie" :)

3. What's been a challenge? Following directions when she's tired, she'll start to wiggle, look away and scream instead of listening.

She totally gets that a baby is in my tummy but I don't think she understands that means having a baby brother yet. We have a couple of big sister books so we're working on the concept. We've added a second crib to her room so she can start to understand that she'll be sharing things like her room and toys.

5. Other rants/raves? Nothing on the toddler front, just the pain in the arse pregnancy symptoms!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. How old are your toddlers? 17 months, almost 18

2.What is something cute they have been doing lately? She will now give me kisses and hugs and blow me kisses when she is leaving. 

3.What's been a challenge? She is starting to asser her independence and has been having temper tantrums, especially screaming when she wakes up in the morning  which is a new thing for her. She never used to cry much but lately she has a been different, bit more moody. She also has been more picky about foods, which is also very new. 

4.Do they understand a new addition is on the way? No definitely not. And I am pretty concerned about her reaction when she does realize it. She likes being center of attention.

5.Other rants raves? Just that I am running low on time to get my toddlers room ready since she is moving from her room/ the nursery to her own room. Work is getting harder and I know I only have a few weeks left to get everything accomplished before the baby comes.
  • 1. How old are your toddlers? DS will be 17 months December 8th
    2.  What's something cute they've been doing lately? Everything. Haha, even the bad stuff is cute. I suppose the main thing is he loves to hug me. Out of nowhere he comes up and hugs my leg or sits on my lap and says "mom." Oh Oh and everything is always answered with "okay" it's adorable lol
    3. What's been a challenge? Him climbing on me. he doesn't understand the baby is there and just jumps on me. Oh and the terrible twos have hit I think. He throws fits over everything lately. Grr. and his sleep schedule changed again. we're up with dad at 530 am. 
    4. Do they understand a new addition is on the way? Any tips on how to help them understand/transition well? Nope. He actually laughs when I ask him to say hi baby or hi sissy. he has started saying "Della" alot so I wonder if he's caught on to us saying Delanie all the time lol
    5. Other rants/raves? I really wish that I could get him to start talking some more. We read everyday, and I have 3 phrases I try daily with him. but he just laughs like it's a game. I want to start potty training and I noticed today he kept taking his pants off when his diaper was full....so I don't know if that is a sign I guess

He's a little over two and a half. 

He's been potty training and waking up in the middle of the night to go. When we're heading back to bed, he always says to me, "Mommy, snuggle 5 minutes?" with these adorably hopeful eyes. Um, yes son! Of course! 

The temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way have been difficult. He's also been super Mommy clingy. He's always been a mama's boy, but this has taken it to a new extreme. He wants to go with me, sit with me and have me carry him everywhere. 

He's aware, but doesn't fully understand the implications just yet. Mainly how his life is going to change. 

5. Other rants/raves? 
    He's doing well going on the potty, but he's in pull ups at daycare, which is confusing him. He sees them as diapers and I need to talk to his provider to see what we can do to change this. (Not his fault at all!)