November 2016 Moms

video montior: motorola vs infant optix

So we need a new montior as the one we have from DS is 4 years old and hanging on by a thread..it won't hold a charge and even when plugged in half the time isn't charging.  We had a motorola with him and have loved it and had no issues.  So now we are looking at the updated version of what we have the motoroal mbp36s or the infant optics.  Anyone have either of this and have any likes or dislikes about either.  

Re: video montior: motorola vs infant optix

• why not opt for a nontraditional monitor?

we have the zooby by infanttech (buybuybaby: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/zooby-by-infanttech-giraffe-car-and-home-baby-monitor/1060016294?Keyword=zooby)

i liked this one better than the ones we checked out at the stores. 
  • KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited October 2016
    Dirty lurker (just browsing the bmb's) from June '15, but we have the infant optics dxr5. No real complaints. It has a neat feature - Vox, which means the monitor is in power save mode (no video or audio) until the camera 'hears' a sound in the room above (I think its?) 30 decibels. The music his mobile played wouldn't turn it on, but something like a cough will. Really the only 'complaints' I have with it are both related to Vox. 1) When it does hear a noise and switch on, the display speaker makes a click noise that just gets on my nerves. It's not loud, but when 2) it keeps turning on because we stupidly installed it on an outer wall and a really strong wind will trip it on over and over for a few hours overnight during a snowstorm... that click will drive me crazy. Obviously this problem is easily solved by mounting the camera on an inner wall instead of one that feels the elements. Other than that, I've become quite Pavlov-ed to the click, which I don't think is a bad thing. 
    Battery life is good, tho I do have to charge it in between naptime and his bedtime otherwise it might die while I'm trying to enjoy my beer and Xbox at the end of the day. It has lasted 4 hours or more while I'm downstairs and LO is upstairs sleeping. Overnight I just keep it plugged in. 
    Range is ok, it works everywhere in my house but not too far outside of it. But it does reach to the firepit in the backyard, which is on the other side of the house and one level down from the camera. 
    It doesn't go thru WiFi so I don't worry about it being hacked, and I can connect it to 4 different cameras if I wanted to buy the extra cameras. It does have a night vision.
    It is not a 2-way, meaning I cannot talk to LO thru it, only receive images and sounds.

Suits our needs fine. Does what I need it to and doesn't have a bunch of random features.   

ETA congratulations on your baby (and to the rest of your bmb)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker