January 2017 Moms

The Hospital Bag Thread

Kind of surprised we didn't have one of these yet, but now that more than half of us are in third trimester and we've had our first birth in this group (!), it seems like a good time to start one. If you've started yours, what's going in yours? If you're a second (or more)-timer, what did you put in yours last time that you thought was completely pointless?

Re: The Hospital Bag Thread

• hjmorgan-2hjmorgan-2 member
    edited October 2016
    Anyone have experience in doing a hospital bag for a birthing center VS a hospital? I know hospitals actually have more items available than a birthing center.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH had to pack my bag last time since our son came so early, so I packed my bag early to make sure I could put everything I wanted in there. 
    so far I have:
    -2 robes
    -3 nightgowns
    -toiletries ( for me and DH)
    -Depends( I prefer these over the mesh underwear)
    -Lip balm
    -Sports bras 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited October 2016
    @LastMango Yeah that's what I was thinking and a towel takes up so much space in a bag too. Kind of wishing I had just asked when I did the tour :|

I hadn't even thought about a pillow either... the ones we saw did look awful!
  • @ashanne88 good call on the camping bed! I warned my husband that the extra beds are notoriously uncomfortable. He loves his camping gear, so maybe we'll have it in the trunk just in case.

STMs, do you think pjs or night gowns are better than just the hospital robe with a bathrobe for going on walks post partum? At this point I feel like I'll want easy access to do peri care and feed the baby.
  • My bag had mostly toiletries since I didn't know what they would have there. Don't bother with a towel they have them. They're in a cupboard or they'll bring them for you. I agree with bringing your baby book or whatever you want footprints on. They're usually pretty good about getting that for you as long as there are no big complications. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @aishmc I loved having my own nightgown/robe last time.  Mine were softer and more comfortable then the hospital gowns. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @aishmc, I always bring my own night gowns while there and put on the yoga/sweatpants when ready to leave.  I think it is so much easier to get up and use the bathroom with a nightgown and not deal with pants right away.  Find something with a button up top or that is stretchy for easy nursing too.
    DS1: 9/29/12
    DS2: 11/5/14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @canavara I kept a towel in my car the last few weeks just in case of water breakage then the towels at the hospti were small and sad and pathetic so I sent DH to the car before I showered to get me a decent towel. It was a ratty one from home that I didn't mind tossing out in case of post partum yuck but at least it was full sized!

My bag:
    Baby outfits (NB and 3 Mo in case of giant baby) 
    Blanket for baby
    Change of clothes for myself
    Shampoo and body wash (because the hospitals sucked and dried my skin and hair out so bad)
    Change of clothes for myself

Insurance and information and phone charger are in my wallet

I'll toss my makeup bag with Chapstick and the basics and my hairbrush in on our way out the door.

I brought lanolin/pads/nursing pads/extra clothes and underwear and clothes for DH last time and didn't touch any of it. DH will be going home this time to sleep with DD at the house and all that other stuff was provided by the hospital. 

Oh and leave lots of extra room in your bag for swiping extra diapers/wipes/pads/snot suckers
  • Thank you for this thread!!! I have to admit I am super unorganised about this but now that I'm in my third trimester I've been thinking about it more and more. Going to compile a list from all your great suggestions  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited October 2016
    Here are my essentials based on last time (definitely some repeats from PP on here but it's easier for me to just list them instead of trying to figure out which haven't been covered lol): 

Me:
    - nursing friendly night gown and robe if I determine nightgown isn't warm enough (won't be using the one I used last time because it was definitely one for summer, and I haven't bought the new one yet)
    -our netflix box (we use a dlink but others might use Roku). Last time, we hooked it up to the TV on my delivery room and I watched 30 rock after I got my epidural. SO relaxing and a great distraction!
    -cell phone and charger. On a related note, I'm deactivating my Facebook on my way to the hospital to avoid the bombardment of comments that I had last time.  We planned to announce DD's birth on there after we got home from the hospital, but family members had other plans...
    -SNACKS.  All the snacks. DD was born at 12:44AM and by the time I got to my room after her delivery, the cafeteria was closed. So I didn't eat at all from about 4pm to 8am, and I consider myself lucky with that! This time, I'll have lots of snacks ready for as soon as I'm able to eat them
    -Toiletries
    -Going home outfit - comfy but semi nice for pictures. 

LO:
    -newborn and 0-3m clothes for 3 days (I'm weird - I like to have my babies in real outfits from the beginning... my babies are not in pajamas 24/7 because I like their other clothes too much! Ha!)
    -car seat

IMO, no need to bring diapers for baby or pads for you etc unless you just prefer to use your own - hospital will provide all that.  No need to bring a pump because hospital will provide if necessary, but DO have it ready to use for as soon as you get home just in case. My horrible, horrible experience of not having my pump ready when I needed it is detailed in at least 2 of the STM threads. 
  • Just thought of two more necessities!

Chapstick: I can't believe how chapped and dried out my lips got during labor!

Warm socks: Labor made me cold and I wish I'd had thicker socks

Pregnancy Ticker

• @karaelaine1991 glad you mentioned snacks! I had DD after the cafeteria was closed too, but they did bring me a sandwich in recovery. But I blocked out that when I ordered my meals from the cafeteria they were stingy with portions and I was like "wtf I just had a baby bring me more than a half cup of fruit"
  • I might be alone on this, but I absolutely loved the hospital socks they provided lol. They had the no slip grips on the bottom and were really warm, I'm actually looking forward to snagging a couple more pair this time around! 

We left DS in the clothes the hospital provided us until we were discharged. Having a newborn and 0-3 month outfit is a great idea. DS was 8lbs 10oz and barely fit into the newborn outfit we took him home in. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • With my experience being in the hospital right now I will definitely say bring your own pillow, best idea I ever had last night. And Chapstick. A roll of decent toilet paper because the stuff here is shit....like actually use half a roll every time I pee cuz it's tissue paper. I'd say a night gown is definitely better than pj pants...when I had my daughter I stood up in the middle of the night to go pee and totally peed everywhere so then my pants were nasty...good times, a night gown would just let that shit flow haha. Fuzzy, warm socks, definitely! I brought my robe last time but never wore it since the hospital provides thin ones that worked well. 

Currently dozing off so cannot think of anything else....I'll edit if I think of anything else 
  • For those going to a birthing center, I found this article that seems pretty reasonable.

https://betterbirthdoula.org/packing-list-birth-center/

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • In my experience a lot of things are provided for you so I wouldn't stress too much. I found that I overpacked last time. Diapers, wipes, formula if needed, pump parts, nipple cream, nursing pads, towels, were all provided there. Granted I am already in the hospital and will likely be here until delivery this is what I would pack in a normal situation this time around. Have the carseat buckled in and ready to go early.

Baby: A going home outfit nb size 
    -cozy blanket
    - something warm to wear (hospital won't let you leave with a big puffy coat they will check your carseat setup before you leave)
    -ringsling or wrap for snuggles and skin to skin

me:  socks
    -chapstick
    -shower necessities travel size soap, shampoo, conditioner
    - comfy shirt or nursing top to wear after delivery and things have calmed down make sure it's a loose fit
    - pajama pants to go home in (c-section here you don't want anything constricting on your incision)
    -snacks
    - soothies breast pads (if you're really worried about not having them but they gave me some last time)
    -pumping bra and nursing bra 
    -undies to go home in (honestly though I don't mind the hospital ones if you get gunk on them they are disposable)
    -a nightime pad in case you really hate the hospital ones.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • I have started piles for our bag but haven't packed it yet: 
    Hygeine/ beauty products (for me & H) 
    Comfy clothes and a nightgown and my robe
    Barre socks (they're super comfy with grippy bottoms) 
    Change of clothes for H
    Aromatherapy-type lotion (yes aromatherapy is technically bunk but mind over matter- I love me some lavender lotion!) 
    Lots of snacks, hard candy, suckers and gum
    Breastfeeding pillow
    Clothes for babies (4 outfits, all newborn because there's literally no way they'll be over 8#)
    A blanket for a cuter background for their pics at the hospital (they have a real photog come through for this)
    ipad, cameras and chargers
    Car seats + covers + our frame stroller in the car because lol I'm not carrying one out, we'll just push them both (hopefully! FX!) 

I know there's more but my schedule makes it impossible to just sit down and type out a long post rn, sorry guys!
  • I was in the hospital for 4 days after my c-section due to blood loss so H had to bring more sleepers for DD. Our hospital only provides blankets for the baby no clothes so this time I'm bringing 3-4 sleepers. 
    My milk didn't come in until 4 days after delivery so I didn't need any breast pads or lanolin.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I was in the hospital for 4 days after my c-section due to blood loss so H had to bring more sleepers for DD. Our hospital only provides blankets for the baby no clothes so this time I'm bringing 3-4 sleepers. 
    My milk didn't come in until 4 days after delivery so I didn't need any breast pads or lanolin.

That's so strange that they didn't give you any clothes! Ours provided us with a sleeper and a hat... but as I mentioned, I get super excited about baby clothes so I changed DD into her own clothes asap haha 

I was also in the hospital for 4 days after my csection. Baby needed more clothes. I didn't have a bag even packed last time. I was able to make it in what the hospital provided. I would have been much more comfortable in my own clothes though. The hospital gown got old fast. I also didn't care for the mesh underwear. I'll be taking some big, black granny panties this time that won't show stains. 
  • Wow that's a lot to think about!! 
    What type of bag are you using? Like a full on suitcase? I can't imagine fitting everything into a tote or backpack?

also not sure how to handle the no-car sitch. We live in NYC and will be taking taxi or Uber to hospital so thinking about bags, car seat, breast pump, pillow, etc!

we may have to wing it! 
  • @BriannaE129129 agreed with @canavara, don't worry.  I would say getting a list together on your phone or something in the next couple weeks would be great!  I have a running list that I have tweaked after each pregnancy and I don't pack my bag until at least 37/38 weeks.
  • I haven't really thought about it to much or started a list.  I will probably pack my bag around 36 weeks.  
    I won't bring much with me because I don't really feel like I have needed much in the past.  My own toiletries, nightgown, clothes for me to wear home, my own pillow, phone charger, laptop and charger and clothes/car seat for baby.  We generally bring a change of clothes for DH as well.  We live close enough to the hospital that DH can run home for me if I forget something.  
    Around 36 weeks is when I will install the car seat base.  I also start sleeping with a towel on the bed and we have a waterproof mattress pad in case my water breaks.  I also keep a garbage bag and towel on my seat in the van for the same reason.  My water only broke with 1 of my 4 labors but better safe than sorry!  
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Last time I didn't get one ready until I was in labor and about to go to the hospital. This time around I will probably have everything ready around 36/37 weeks. I do have a list of everything I will need or want so if something does happen and I need someone to bring me things. We will also have the carseat base in and ready around the same time. That way we don't have to worry about it once she is here. 
  • I had just started my list on this topic last week. This thread has been hugely helpful - thanks everyone!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Everything that was mentioned but I want to reiterate the extra snacks and extra outfits for baby! Hospital portions were stingy IMO plus cafeteria closed after I delivered (midnight). I was so hungry! The hospital clothes didn't seem warm enough to me for baby when he wasn't swaddled. On that note...the hospital was so cold to me! I'm bringing warmer clothes like a sweatshirt instead of just tank tops/t-shirts and sweatpants. 
  • And my nursing bra! I forgot it last time and it was a pain! 
  • This time around I'll be bringing my nursing pillow for sure! I also brought a few different style comfy pants and nursing tops. Didn't know what would be comfortable so im glad I brought options. I also packed essential oils for labor and after. We didn't bring our bags in the hospital with us and things happened so fast that we didn't even get our bags from the car until I was in the recovery room. Snacks were great to have. People brought us outside food to eat. 

For baby i brought a preemie outfit and newborn, since they predicted she would be small. They didn't provide any clothes for us. Everything else I think people have covered!

i probably won't pack my bags until closer to 35 weeks. 
  • HJMorgan said:
    Anyone have experience in doing a hospital bag for a birthing center VS a hospital? I know hospitals actually have more items available than a birthing center.
    I had DD at a birthing center. I was given diapers, wipes, pads, Dermoplast, ice packs, and a big refillable cup that I chugged my weight in water out of. I'm sure I could've asked for more items if I needed them, but I brought everything from home that I needed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • I will admit I totally forgot about dh packing a bag.... he was deployed when DD was born so I just hopped in the car with my bags, had a baby, and came home the next morning (birthing center allows you to leave when ready). This time is going to be 100000% different!! I have my and DD2's essentials packed and in my car. I have a nursing bra, outfit for me, slippers, pillow, depends, 3 newborn outfits, nipple butter, supplement formula sample and bottle  (just in case), nipple shield (just in case), baby book, and I always have a case of water and phone charger in the car. My birthing center is basically a hotel so they have snack stations in the hallways, hospital gowns that I swear are made out of butter, awesome food, movies and TV series to choose from, toiletries provided, and comfortable beds for spouses to sleep in. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Awesome thread, thanks for all the advice! Started a list on my phone and will go on a fun Target run soon!