November 2016 Moms

Very Important Question - What are your grandparent names?

Seriously, my parents can NOT choose to save their lives. I need suggestions! My IL's are Grandpa and Grammie. My parents are tossing around the Czech forms of grandma and grandpa but that's what we called my dad's parents and my grandma is still alive so my mom and grandmother would have the same name. Weird. Even though we have time before this is really an issue, their indecision making me a little crazy. 

What are your parents and IL's going by?

Re: Very Important Question - What are your grandparent names?

• My parents are just going by Grandma and Grandpa. My in-laws decided to use Gigi and Tutu which is the Hawaiian version of Grandma and Grandpa. It bugs me a little though since while they have a weak connection to Hawaii they live in Southern California and are not Hawaiian by heritage so its a little weird to me but whatever I guess. For great Grandparents and such we just say things like Grandma Frances and Grandpa Brian etc.
  • Funny. We were just discussing this the other day. My LO will pretty much inherit the terms my nieces use which are Nana for my mom and Grampy (but I am suggesting Grandpa) for my Dad. My living grandmother goes by Ama (Spanish short for mom since they hear my mom call her mom Ama). His mom would be grandma and his dad grandpa pretty standard and it's what all his other nieces and nephews call them. Side Note: my DH asked if our little one would call me mom or mommy but I like mom better and he said he doesn't like Daddy for him and will go with Dad. I guess I never thought about this before and as first time parents I guess it is important to discuss. 

Me: 28 <3 DH: 29

#1 DS: 11/24/2016

#2 EDD: 11/15/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My parents are "grandma and grandpa" to my niece so it will be the same. I'm not sure on his side, but I think they also use grandma and grandpa with the other grandkids - none of which can talk yet so I'm sure it could change. 
  • edited October 2016
    We're going with standard Grandma and Grandpa for my in-laws. My mom is British so she went with Nan, which is really common in England. My dad is Spanish and we called his dad Papi so that's what my niece and nephew ended up calling him. I told my stepmother she can come up with a grandparent name for herself and went with Nonna, which is what she called her grandmother.
    My in-laws went with really cutesy grandparent names that I find odd. I get ethnic grandparent names (I imagine if I have grandchildren they'll call me Avia, which is what I called my paternal grandmother) but cutesy grandparent names that the parents come up with, not the kids, are strange to me.
  • My mom will be nana as per her request. All other grand parents (her husband, my dad and step mom and my MIL will all be nanny and poppy (or nan and pop for short) my grand parents will be great nan and great pop. 
  • @ladybugme101 in regards to your names for yourselves (Mom vs. Mommy) just throwing it out there that you may not get much of a choice. I go by Mom, Mommy, Mama, mom mom mom mom mom, Mommieeeeeeee! Ha ha ha. I have noticed that around 2 1/2 DD started adding ie to everything (Ex: boy in school named Cash is called Cashie, dog named Moose is called Moosie, etc). Its totally fine if you want to try and reinforce one name or another but using it consistently and hoping it catches on but don't be surprised if you get Mommy and Daddy in addition to Mom and Dad on a regular basis ;)
  • We have Grandpa and Grandma on one side and Nana and Papa on the other.   We did have a Great Nana for about 6 or 8 months too.  
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • LO will honestly choose for themselves. We tried for Mammy and Papa for my parents and Grammy and Granpop for his parents. DD calls all her grandmothers Gam and all her grandfathers Papa. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • We have the first grandchild on both sides so this was a major discussion last time. If there's something you want for sure then use it right out of the gate and they will catch on. My in laws are grandma and bee*bop. We kinda pushed his nickname until it stuck. My mom is yaya only because that was one of "words" DD would consistently say around 1 years old so my mom was like that's it! that's my name! lol  Then my dad didn't really know what he wanted so we tried a few things and kinda did grandpa. Well at 2.5 she has finally decided that he is "grandfather" which is pretty hilarious to hear her say. We aren't even sure where she got it from. It was pretty fun to just let some of them be organic. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mom is Mimi, but it started as "Grammy." My niece couldn't say it, and thus, Mimi was christened. Putting that out there because it's likely the baby will end up picking, even if they want to be called something different. 
  • My mom is Gigi (her first name starts with G, so it's short for Grandma G) and my dad is Grandad. No idea what the ILs are going to do (this is their first grandbaby) - was trying for Zayde for my FIL, but he had a very strong negative reaction to that one, so I have a feeling they will just be grandpa and grandma.
  • Men in our families go by grandpa, Gramps, or grandad. Women grandma, gran or Nana. Grear-grandparents went/go with different grandparent names from their respective languages if they were born abroad.
  • My in-laws are Grammie and Papa; my kids are their 5th and 7th grandchildren so those names were chosen long ago. My mom goes by Nannie, but DS at this point is only calling her "Na-Na" so we'll probably be sticking with that. We started calling my dad Grandpa, but DS immediately changed it to "Baa-Baa" lol
  • Not sure why you're overly worried about it right now. It just comes naturally in a few years and your child will choose. Grandma's in our family are "Grandma 'first name' and Grandma 'first name'". He only has 1 Grandpa, so that was easy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My parents are "Nini and Papa" 
    for DH, his parents are "Nana and Paw paw"

We didn't pick the names though since there were plenty of grandkids before our DD.
  • My in-laws are grandma and grandpa. My mother was originally grandma as well, but as my daughter got to talking and calling them what she thought was better, she started calling my mom "silly grandma." We're not sure what prompted it and we certainly didn't encourage it, but now, about a year later, she's still "silly grandma" and sometimes just "silly" for short.

So sometimes, the grandchild will make the call for everyone anyway.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • My mom goes by Gigi, but that's because when my niece was learning how to talk she couldn't pronounce grandma and I got her to say Gigi instead and it stuck. Now all the grands call her that. My dad was poppy, (he passed away last year but we still refer to him a lot) my FIL is papa, and my MIL in nene, because that's what she picked for her other grandson to call her. 
  • MrsBigTimeMrsBigTime member
    edited October 2016
    My MIL chose Lola for her because it's the Filipino name for Gma (I don't know if that's true, the truth isn't her strong suit) which I like, but Lola is also one of my favorite baby names, so I wish we could just call her Grandma, but oh well. 

MIL/FIL are Lola and Papa (but he calls himself Grandpa)

My mom is Gramma
    And my dad is Grandpa Steve and we're not totally sure what to call his wife still. It confuses my daughter because she doesn't really know her as a Grandma, but when they are with us (which is so infrequently) she is Grandma Allison. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We called our moms grandma, but our first said, "Gaga" and it's stuck. My husband wanted his dad to be granddad like his dad's dad was, and my dad to be papa. However, both dads are papa. It's just how it worked out because it's how our first preferred to say it. To distinguish between the papas and gagas we add their first name, so it's papa Ken. 
  • My parents passed away, but they were Nana and Poppy.  H's mom is Nonna, which is Italian.  My kids also have close family friends they consider grandparents, who live in the area, and are the grandparents they know the best.  My oldest was their first grandchild.  They chose Grandma and Grandpa, so we called them that until our daughter got old enough to talk, and her attempt at those names ended up being Gaga and Boppa.  Now all the grandchildren call them Gaga and Boppa.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• My parents want to be grandma and poppa. Mine and DH's mom have the same first name so that's the only reason we asked them to choose now. His mom will be "Mimi" and my grandma will be "Gigi" (short for great grandma). Other than that I think everyone (DH's dad and step parents) will be "grandma/grandpa [their name]". Obviously whatever LO calls them is up to her but we want to try using the names they chose so they will hopefully stick.
  • My ILs are Filipino and go by Lola and Lolo (traditional terms for Grandma/Grandpa). My mom was happy with whatever DD1 wanted to call her so now she's Grandma and my dad is Grandpa/Granddaddy. We referred to them by those names and the kids picked them up. My grandmother who I call Gran Gran is G.G. to them, (short for Great Grandmother). 
  • My parents are Oma & Opa (Dutch). My MIL and DH's step-dad are Nana & Papa. My DH's step-mom is Grandma. His Dad is Grandpa. He's now married to his third wife, and we don't know what to call her... Our DS is now 1 1/2. We should probably figure that out sometime. 
  • My mom is "Grandma O" to my niece and nephew, and my husband's mother is meemaw to her grandkids. I think the kid will ultimately decide.
  • My three year old is the only grandchild (until Nov) on both sides. ILs are grandma and grandpa. My mom chose Nana and my dad didn't choose anything. One day When DD was about 1.5-2 years and we were at my parents house, she went through three different names of calling my dad different things. I can't remember what they all were, but she settled on Pop-pop that day and he has been that ever since. My grandparents are Mawma/Pawpaw. A few of my moms sisters are Mimi. My dad's side, several are called Nonna (Italian dor grandmother). 

It's also not uncommon for my three year old to call us all by our actual names especially when we aren't paying attention to her. 
  • My oldest was a slow talker so we did Mimi and Papa because he oils easily say two syllable words. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're using Lola and Lolo for the Filipino grandparents (traditional), and Grandma and Grandad for the English grandparents. Growing up, I just called both sides Grandma and Grandad followed by their first names--never got confusing. Also, we've had to select our 'names' as well, as we're two moms...looks like I'm mom and she's mama so far, but we'll see what happens :)
  • My parents are Oma/Opa (German) and that's what my siblings and I call our grandparents. My in-laws go as Grandma and Pop-Pop with their other grandchildren. DH goes by Papa (French) and it sounds very similar to Pop-Pop, so we usually refer to his Dad as Grandpa.

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• lesperlalesperla member
    edited October 2016
    My ILs are going by Pa and Grammy.

My dad is going to go by Pepe since that's what all the males on his side went by (French).

My mom is still deciding and it's driving me nuts. We looked up a list of grandma names a while back and got a kick out of "Bubbles." So I'm calling her that until she picks something just to piss her off :-P

If you have any suggestions, feel free to offer them. She's Polish and Irish. 
  • We are using grandma/ grandpa for my in laws and nana and papa for my parents!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • My dad and his wife have grandchildren already from my step-siblings so they are already Granny and Paw Paw and my MIL who already has grand kids also is Grandma. Her mom (my husband's grandma) also goes by Grandma which is a little confusing.

My mom has been having the hardest time deciding too! I understand it's a big deal, because it'll be her name for every grandkid down the line but it drives me crazy too, lol. This will be her first grandchild of course. She wants to be "Grandma Pamela" but I just picture our daughter saying that as Gramela at some point and then possibly that turning into Grammy.
  • Interesting.  MIL has her other grand kids calling her Teta (Grandma in Arabic) so I guess we can stick to that and then my parents can be Grandma & Grandpa. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers