January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 10/17

13»

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 10/17

• @AlicjaB the down side to putting a crib bumper in when the baby is older is that they use it as a step stool to try and get out. The bumpers really are pointless and I can't believe they are still even legal. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @AlicjaB I wouldn't put traditional bumpers in a crib ever. I wouldn't feel safe with them in my 2 year olds crib, tbh. I did use mesh bumpers briefly from 4-5 months, when my daughter was rolling and would get her arms stuck and then forcefully jerk back around. We were concerned she would dislocate a limb. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry if this has been asked but I'm curious if STM felt like they benefited more by having their breastpumps before delivery. My insurance will only pay for one after delivery and I have to drive an hour and a half to get it from the approved hospital. (Long story but my insurance is through a major ATL hospital). The thought it stressing me out and I feel like it would just be better off buying one with our HSA card. 
    I have high hopes of breastfeeding and pumping for when I go back to work. 
  • gapeachrn said:
    Sorry if this has been asked but I'm curious if STM felt like they benefited more by having their breastpumps before delivery. My insurance will only pay for one after delivery and I have to drive an hour and a half to get it from the approved hospital. (Long story but my insurance is through a major ATL hospital). The thought it stressing me out and I feel like it would just be better off buying one with our HSA card. 
    Yes! Definitely getting it before it so beneficial. Then it's sterilized and ready to go. I started pumping day 2 after DD was born.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Did any of you take a small fan with you to the hospital? I had a brief 3 hour stint in L&D last weekend and I couldn't believe how quickly I got hot laying in that bed. 
    I'm so late to this thread, but I wanted to mention that i was having a hard time getting cool after delivery last time, and my nurse brought me a hospital fan.  They aren't allowed to reuse the fans, so she gave it to me to take home! It was actually a pretty nice little fan, something that would be handy at your desk, for instance.
  • @gapeachrn My best friend was told she needed to supplement when she was discharged from the hospital, but was able to pump and supplement with her own milk. So yes. I would have the pump prior to birth. You may need the pump to stimulate milk production, your baby may struggle with latch, etc 
  • gapeachrn said:
    Sorry if this has been asked but I'm curious if STM felt like they benefited more by having their breastpumps before delivery. My insurance will only pay for one after delivery and I have to drive an hour and a half to get it from the approved hospital. (Long story but my insurance is through a major ATL hospital). The thought it stressing me out and I feel like it would just be better off buying one with our HSA card. 
    I had my pump well before delivery but didn't get it out of the box beforehand because I had it in my head that I wasn't going to pump until DD was several weeks old because I didn't want her to be confused.  Boy, was that a mistake! My first night home from the hospital was the absolute worst night of my life.  I couldn't get DD to latch by myself, so she was hungry, I was engorged, and we were both exhausted.  The more the night went on, the more frustrated we both became and the less success we had.  We both cried pretty much all night long. My poor husband held it together really well but I know it was a rough night for him, too.  If my pump had been sterilized, I could've pumped, given her a bottle, and we all could've gone to sleep. Definitely get the pump, sterilize it, and familiarize yourself with it. Hopefully, you won't need it, but if you do, it'll be ready. 
  • @AshleySparkle720 @ThePax89 @karaelaine1991
    Thank you! Wanted to make sure I wasn't being irrational by saying I wanted it before delivery. The thought of driving that far after delivery and having breastfeeding issues in the interim really stress me out. 
  • I'm still struggling with knowing how many clothes I'll need in which size for baby!  I want to make sure I'm registered for the right stuff and trying to be practical about it all. How do you know what to have pre-washed and ready to go vs keep tags on for possibility of exchanging? Any tips?

Also - what type of laundry detergent is necessary?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ok so maybe I'm nuts but I'm a little anxious about sharing DH'S attention, any STM'S feel that way or anyone else....

If so did it just go away once baby is here with you? 
  • @kelseyh62 I would leave Tags on anything bigger then 0-3/3 months clothes.  Even if you have a 12lb baby (I hope you don't ) they won't need anything that big quite yet.  I would wash some newborn and some 0-3 just to be on the same side but if you are worried about needing to return some of them I would wash a few onsies, a few sleepers, and possibly a few outfits.  Maybe like 3-5 days worth.  Than when you get home, if your LO is smaller you can wash the rest or not.  It shouldn't be to hard to throw a load of laundry in while LO is napping in the first few days.   My LOs mostly lived in onsies and sleepers the first few weeks.  There wasn't really a need for cute outifts and we didn't really do pants until the cord fell off anyway because the waistband rubs on the cord.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• @kelseyh62 about laundry detergent- we never used anything special but every baby is different. You could go a number of ways. You could wash everything with your regular detergent and see how baby does. If it bothers the baby then switch. Or you could get something special right off the bat. I think a lot of people use the detergents labeled "free" (of dyes, fragrance, etc).
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @kelseyh62 I was going to say pretty much the same thing as @ladysaceb. I ended up needing more newborn sized things. She was in them longer than I expected and spit up so much we would go through 5 outfits a day. It doesn't hurt to get a few extras and leave the tags on. 

I use a free & clear detergent for all our clothes. 
  • Thanks @ladysaceb ! What is considered 3-5 days of clothes? 

@KAShock thank you.  I haven't washed a ton yet. But have just used our regular detergent to not be wasteful. If we end up needing a special kind, do you end up washing mom & dad clothes along with it or separate? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would say plan for about 3-5 outfits a day. That would account for blowouts and spit ups that get into clothing. On a bad day you might need more, but I think that's a good average. 
  • kelseyh62 said:
    I'm still struggling with knowing how many clothes I'll need in which size for baby!  I want to make sure I'm registered for the right stuff and trying to be practical about it all. How do you know what to have pre-washed and ready to go vs keep tags on for possibility of exchanging? Any tips?

Also - what type of laundry detergent is necessary?
    This is a great question! Mainly what I did was have a lot of onsies in each size. Newborns are almost exclusively in sleepers/pjs so you really can't go wrong with lots of those! My advice is to add any purchase to your registry and keep all tags/receipts until baby is born. That way if you have a baby that goes straight to 0/3m sizes you can return any access newborn. Some babies do skip 0/3,3, 3/6, etc. so it's always smart to keep receipts so you can return!

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Ok so maybe I'm nuts but I'm a little anxious about sharing DH'S attention, any STM'S feel that way or anyone else....

If so did it just go away once baby is here with you? 
    Real Talk: Once that baby comes you will be so in love with your baby you won't even care about DH's attention. When DD was born DH wasn't around, but I couldn't have care less about anything that did not involve looking,talking, and snuggling DD. 

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @AshleySparkle720 haha ok thanks! I'm already so in love with her so I can see that happening!
  • @kelseyh62 I think it would depend how sensitive the baby was to the detergent. I would probably just wash babies stuff in the special detergent but then you have to consider whether just being up against other clothes that you're wearing would be an issue. And blankets, sheets, towels, etc.  Luckily I didn't have to deal with that- hope you don't either!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Did any STMs here have their first child while living in an apartment or condo? Did you have any issues with noise complaints?
    We have neighbors upstairs and on both sides, and while they are incredibly nice I'm a little nervous about how they'll react to a crying baby. I was thinking of making little muffin baskets for all of them, and include a note and ear plugs. Overkill?
  • @kelseyh62 when it was necessary for us to use special detergent, we just used a free and clear and washed everything in it because I am way to lazy to separate and do extra laundry.  That being said, I would plan 3-5 outfits per day for the very beginning. You may not need them but you may have a baby who spits up a lot or has leaks/blow outs.  
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• @kelseyh62 I just wash everything together with Tide Free and Clear to avoid doing extra loads. And we went through about 3-6 outfits a day, including pajamas/sleep and plays. Some days we went through more, especially at first when he had bad reflux. 

As for how how much to wash, we didn't know what size he'd need at first so I washed a few of newborn outfits and most of the 0-3 months. I brought one of each size to the hospital to bring him home in. He ended up being in newborns for a month, but practically lived in the sleepers and onsies. We only dressed him up real cute when we went to visit people. 

We ended up with a lot of clothes for him between our two baby showers, so if you're having a shower, keep that in mind. A lot of people will also just buy you clothes they like instead of what's on a registry, so that's something to keep in mind while registering. I didn't register for any clothing and ended up with an abundance. You will probably end up with a lot from the newborn to 6 month range. I put everything into size piles and then exchanged some of the weather inappropriate stuff or things I wasn't really crazy about into correct sizes or into gift cards to buy clothes with later. 
  • Re: detergent-- We use Seventh Generation for everything, and it was fine for the baby as well. I'm not too into separating things as it is. Keep it simple. 

Re: DH sharing-- I had no problem with this. Like @emy730 said, it actually bonded us more. By the time he got home I was so happy to have an adult to talk to, we had a lot to talk about. Then seeing him with the baby just changed my whole perspective of him and our relationship, in a fantastic way. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • gapeachrn said:

We got ours before our son was born but given he came three weeks early I didn't open the box until about two weeks after he was born. While I know people want to get a jump on building their milk supply for when they go back to work, remember you shouldn't pump within the first two weeks in order to establish your supply and get your body used to making the right amount of milk--if you are exclusively breast feeding. This was advice from both my pediatrician and OBGYN. I didn't start adding a pumping session in until week 4 and by the end of my leave I had plenty of milk stock piled for the transition back to work. With pumping at work during his typical feeding times I always had enough for the sitter. 
  •  MaryNog said:
    Did any STMs here have their first child while living in an apartment or condo? Did you have any issues with noise complaints?
    We have neighbors upstairs and on both sides, and while they are incredibly nice I'm a little nervous about how they'll react to a crying baby. I was thinking of making little muffin baskets for all of them, and include a note and ear plugs. Overkill?
    We lived in a condo when our daughter was born. She made no more noise than the rest of the people living on our building so no note or ear plugs were nessisary. Plus she's a newborn, newborns cry, they'll be understanding. It's not like you're having a party, no need to apologize. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @marynog I did. And no. I wouldn't draw too much attention to it. It's a human child. Not a loud dog. 
  • @marynog we did when DD was born, I didn't even say anything to the neighbors. We had thin walls and could hear their kids/tv/cabinets/toilets flushing/etc. So I figured if they were bothered by my baby that was just their too bad. But like @thepax89 said, it's a baby and not a dog or some obnoxious music or tv. It isn't like any decent neighbor can really complain that a baby is doing what babies do and crying. 
  • Excellent points all around, thanks ladies! One less thing to worry about!
  • third2022third2022 member
    edited October 2016
    moved to 10/24 thread...