July 2016 Moms

Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

I know a lot of us are going through some sleep issues right now! I hope this thread can help us get ideas/reach out for support when our babies won't seem to sleep. 

Re: Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

• For the love of God someone talk to me about naps. William nurses to sleep at night and sleeps for about 9 hours straight so no real problems there. But he flat out refuses to nap during the day unless he's on my boob. If I try to put him down asleep like at night he immediately screams bloody murder. I spent 3 hours today nursing, singing, shushing, bouncing, rocking, letting him cry, crying along with him... I got nowhere. 

Please spam me with your tips and tricks. 
    I need some of my life back. Haaalllllllp! 
  • @jennyleigh16- DD1 really struggled with naps in her crib. She took many naps in the Boba, swing, car seat (we often left for trips at her nap time because we knew she would sleep well in the car) and in the stroller (I would wheel the stroller inside our house with her still asleep in it). We always used a sound machine when on the go (sleep sheep) and that helped. When she switched from 3 naps to 2 naps it got better and then at 15 months she started taking one 2 hour nap and that was amazing! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Rowan is in the middle of the four moth sleep regression. Naps are 45 minutes almost on the button. He goes to bed fairly easily by 7. But then he wakes shortly after midnight and then it's all downhill from there. He's up ever 1-1.5hrs after that. We haven't changed our approach to naps or bedtime yet. We're hoping this will pass and R will go back to sleeping somewhat decently. I wish there was a way to speed it up though!
  • Elise is NOT doing well since we have switched her to her crib. She sleeps very well at my friends house, which is a 2 story. I believe it might be a sound issue. Her room is next to the living room and has French doors with glass (no idea why someone would do that for a bedroom, but that's how it is). We put black up curtains up over the doors but some light still gets through. My husband likes to watch tv and play video games/Skype at night. She can definitely hear him talking. It is REALLY frustrating though! We can't just stop living and hide out in our bedroom. But it seems if her first stretch of sleep (when we are awake!) is interrupted, then she is up every 2-3 hours after that. She used to sleep through the night. I just bought a new white noise machine. I'm hoping it helps. She has 2 fans and rain sounds in her room currently. 

Naps have been suffering too. I assume from bad night time sleep. She goes down without any crying now though. I think a big part of it was I created a really short 1 minute nap time routine for her. So when I start singing a certain song, she knows it is nap time. I know it is super unpopular, but I did let her cry when we started getting on a schedule. I would come in every 5 minutes at first and the plan was to keep stretching it. She started going down for naps like a champ after about 4 days of it. She only cried more than 5 minutes once. I always made sure she was actually tired though. 
  • Last few days have been rough. We've hit Leap 4, and possibly 4 month regression AND LO got a cold, so we can't Swaddle him. Nights he's been up every 2 hours again
  • My son hasn't slept more than 2 hours at a time for the last 6 weeks, so I'm hoping we can't regress at all! He takes naps during the day, but has to be in my arms the whole time too. the second I move he's awake. He used to be so good at sleep but all of a sudden wanted nothing to do with it. I go back to work tomorrow, so we'll see if Dad comes up with any tricks. I'll be checking back for any tips on how to handle it! best of luck to everyone!
  • DH sent me an article this morning from TIME stating that the American board of pediatrics has officially come out and said that to prevent SIDS, let babies sleep in parents bedroom until 6 months if not one year. We moved LO to the nursery (right next to our bedroom) last week and she's finally doing well with it. I don't think it's necessary she be with us. There's no loose blankets, she's in a sleep sack. She's on her back and we can hear her as if she was in our own room anyway. DH doesn't quite agree with me now. Just wondering what you ladies feel about it. Here's the article referenced:

• As far as daytime naps, I have him on the weekends but at daycare during the week when we work. He's been pretty good with naps from what I hear at daycare and what I see at home but even though they are short, roughly 30-45 minutes, I'll take what I can get! We have to resort to different things because the bottle, paci doesn't always do the trick....the "butt pat", holding him and rocking him from side to side, swaddle and his swing all help but it's just process of elimination and just being patience (I'm learning to have.) until he gets sleepy. 
    The white noise machine and dim lighting is what helped us! I actually had my Homedics nature sound radio in our bedroom and put it in his nursery. He was in the rocker sleeper in our bedroom before his crib and he heard it every night and is used to it. Also, our house faces a busy street with loud vehicles so the white noise drowns it out!
    I read that babies thrive on the same routine every night eg. bath time, diaper change, feeding until half asleep and then put down for the night and so far we've had success!

jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that article is dumb I've had both my kids in their crib own room since day one 
  • TiffRox81TiffRox81 member
    edited October 2016
    Omg....back to this sleep regression crap...ugh!! We had another night of her up every 2-2.5hrs, after a 3 hour stretch. She wasn't uncomfortable in the crib. She'd PLAY half the time after a feeding...finally go to sleep but be back up 2hrs later!!! I knew she wasn't hungry by the 5am wake up. Finally at 6 I could tell she was getting tired, as everyone in the house was by that point, so I brought her downstairs and plopped her in the swing and slept downstairs too. She didn't even fight me on the swing as was out moments later. Still down here sleeping. Not sure why she was fighting her sleep in the crib! There's nothing in it to entertain her. Today I'm going to try busting my butt to pump and bottle feed her the first two feedings. That helped last time. I think I at least got 3-4 hours between each feeding. 

ETA: She's been a decent napper. In the sense she WANTS to nap! But not in her crib. I've had her on the couch with me while I watch shows. We do long, very long walks or swing. If I try the crib she's typically there 45 minutes and awake and pissy because she'd rather have been still
    sleeping. 
  • @tennisbabymama we put Q in his crib at 2 weeks. I wish we would have waited until he no longer needed the MOTN feeding because it would have been easier on me, but we all slept so much better once he was in his own room. We will see what we choose to do with #2 when the time comes. I think as long as you are doing what you can to keep your baby safe, then it doesn't matter if you co-sleep or put them in their own room. It's just like feeding a baby, everyone has their own opinion but you have to do what works best for you. 
  • I am so sorry for you mammas having crib issues! I have the opposite problem. LO will only go to sleep at night in his crib (he'll do car seat or mamaroo for naps) but he HAS to be in his crib to sleep at night. It means all early nights for me and with the sleep troubles we're having he was up every 45 minutes from 8:30pm until 3am last night. Then I at least got a 2.5 hour stretch before needing to get up. 
  • winnie1122winnie1122 member
    edited October 2016
    I haven't had issues with sleep regression at night yet (knock on wood), but his naps have definitely been inconsistent and sometimes nonexistent the last couple weeks. The longest naps I get out of him are when I put him in the boppy on my bed facing the tv with a show on. He seems to like the noise of the tv and being propped up a little, plus if he wakes up the tv sometimes lulls him back to sleep. It also helps drown out other noise in our tiny house so sudden noises aren't so startling.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • We are dealing with leap 4, sleep regression at night and nap time, and now teething. This sucks. Hang in there, mommas!

• @jennyleigh16 - YES. That is exactly how my LO is too. I feel bad because I'm so exhausted and frazzled by the end of the day from holding her nonstop :-/
  • Oh also, for people who have their shit together (looking at you @LDSJM123) would you be willing to post your nap/sleep schedules? 
  • How long has the sleep regression been going on for everyone? We are about 2.5 weeks into waking up 2-3 times at night, after sleeping through the night or waking up 1x since he was 7 weeks old. I've also been struggling with the lack of sleep and have noticed it's made my anxiety worse. DH has been helping a lot, which does help. DS is napping the same during the day, hopefully this sleep regression will be over soon.
  • Her sleep regression started 4 weeks ago right after she got a cold. Then people told me it looks like she is teething (nothing yet). Now I'm thinking leap 4. BUT! She slept through the night last night! So I'm hoping we are breaking this pattern. 
  • LO is 12 weeks and she kind of naps when she wants. I try to make sure she doesn't stay awake longer than 1.5 hr because she gets extra cranky. She consistently naps from 11am-1pm and from 3:30pm-4:30pm even if she's only been awake for 30 minutes. At night, she goes down between 8pm-9pm. She sleeps until 1am-2am, drinks 3-4oz and wakes up at 4-5am for another 3-4oz. She gets up around 7-8am (unless it's my husbands turn when she sleeps until 9am.) Last week she was up every 2 hours which was horrible. It made my ppd feel worse and I just felt like a zombie. Luckily, she seems back to normal this week. 
  • E finally slept through the night again last night!! I switched her schedule yesterday and it seems to be helping. She has been very tired after her naps lately. So I stretched her nap time and her feedings. 

New schedule: 

6am-Wake and feed
    7-Nap 
    9:30am- Wake and feed 
    11:00pm- Nap 
    1pm-Wake and feed 
    2:30pm- Nap 
    4:30pm-Wake and feed 
    6pm- Feed and bedtime routine 
    6:15-6:30pm- Asleep
    10:00-10:30pm- Dreamfeed
  • @shaylalr How are you getting two hour naps!? I'm so jealous!!!
  • shaylalrshaylalr member
    edited October 2016
    @rasco12 Most of the time I don't really! She usually wakes up early but I don't get her, so she just kinda plays around a bit and then falls back asleep after a bit.The mornings she sleeps the whole time though! She is always really tired in the morning.

If I do go get her, she sobs and sobs until I put her back to bed. So I know she needs longer!!
  • @MDmomma1217 ours has been going on for about 3 weeks or so (she will be 4 months tomorrow). We are usually up any where from 3(on a good night!)-6 times a night. It seems like it's starting to maybe get a little better, we've gotten up 4 times consistently for almost a week now.

So jealous of those who get more than an hour nap at a time! We are doing short 10-20 minute naps maybe 3 times a day. I'm going crazy here.

@shaylalr yay! So glad your LO made it through the night :)
  • L doesn't nap well (I think she has FOMO lol) but she sleeps well at night. For naps, I don't really have a schedule but I try to make sure she's full, then she plays a bit, then fusses a lot and fights until we get her to sleep. Naps are anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours if I'm lucky. She usually only wakes up once during the night to eat...maybe twice if she went to bed "early" or is sleeping "late." 

How are you all keeping them from fighting sleep/naps?
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• @KASG Can you explain more of what you mean by "fights naps"? My LO fusses and fights for a few minutes before every nap and at bed time. It lasts about 2-5 minutes and I liken it to an older child complaining "but I'm not tired! I don't wanna go to sleep!" And then being out cold. Also, I noticed with LO that he needs his cues/routine for nap/bedtime. naps are better now that he's in daycare (he'll put himself to sleep), but before and for bed time he needs 1) dark, 2) quiet, 3) to be where usually naps/sleeps. No matter how tired he is, he will not fall asleep unless he is in his room with the ligh
  • @FTM53 just what you said -- fussy and fighting it, though usually longer than 5 minutes. It's exactly that "but I'm not tired" act lol and she kicks and screams and throws her arms all around...if I were lighter skinned I'd definitely be bruised lol

She's getting better, but sometimes she doesn't get a good nap either for fighting it for so long, or she keeps waking up.
    TTC #1 since marriage

• @KASG That sucks! I would maybe try a routine or schedule for naps. /shrug. I hate the days when LO doesn't go down or is up every 30 min
  • Yeah, mine does that but for like 40 minutes. You have to walk her around and bounce her and *maybe* she'll fall asleep, but don't even think about putting her down once she is.
  • We do the "wake, eat, play, sleep" routine but she enjoys the "play" so much lol 

@mnkenned yup. Soon as you put her down, that's it! Lol we're working on it. I've been trying to put her down more during the day and still engaging her instead of holding her while engaging. She has been doing well with that except if I'm trying to eat "without" her :wink:
    TTC #1 since marriage

• Day 4 of her new schedule and she is finally taking full 2 hour naps!! I can't believe it! 
  • OMG what is happening to my child who used to love sleep!!!
  • I may be sleeping downstairs on the couch or floor so LO can sleep in his mamaroo tonight. Last night we were up until 4:30am. I can't do two in a row.....
  • @FTM53 Oh no! Hope you get some sleep tonight! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Anybody feel like they have zero ideas on how to deal with baby not sleeping?  Yesterday I co-slept with him which I don't mind but I don't know if that's the right thing to do.  Today I'm letting him cry some.  I just have no idea how to help him sleep and he's so crabby about it.  Plus, teething.
  • I know I'm behind as my baby didn't come late till aug but did anyone's baby have a sleep regression at 12 weeks this is awful!  He had been waking up once per night and even slept through the night last week to waking up an hour after being out cold then took almost two hours to get him back to sleep then up another two times ugh. We also are trying to swaddle w arms out as hell soon outgrow the swaddling sacks