1st Trimester
Options

blood tests?

Hello ladies! July 2017 isn't started yet so I decided to post my question here:

I am about 3 weeks 2 days pregnant, first OB appointment is in 6 weeks (December 1st) and feels so far away! She did not order blood work, and apparently isn't going to until the appointment. Is this normal? I see so many ladies post BETA numbers, is this for people that have had issues conceiving, or carrying a child?

Re: blood tests?

• Options
    Hi lurking from march 17. Congrats on your bfp ! I too got an early hpt positive at about 3w and 4d my Ob did not order me any blood work or ultrasound till about 7 weeks at my first appt. the wait is hell but I just try to stay busy and distracted to help pass time . Good luck and fingers crossed for a H and H 9 months :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
  • Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    edited October 2016
    Nice to see you here too @osucma! From what I understand as well blood tests are for those with a history of loss to monitor the progression of hormones to make sure they are on track and if they need additional hormones or drugs to boost it. I have to see my primary for a referral so I will likely get another pee test then after my missed period (12 dpo here) then nothing until my 7-8 week appointment. A long wait and as others say distraction is key which I think is easier as the holidays are coming up!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @JAM85 so happy you are over here too! :D I have no idea what to do to distract me until my first appt on 12/1. It's so hard not telling anyone other than hubs and my best friend but I don't want to tell anyone until after Christmas because I will be 13 weeks then.
  • Options
    I had my levels checked at 6w 2d and 6w 5d due to bleeding. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have had mine checked. Usually if you've had a previous loss they will....although that's not always the case (I had a previous m/c and my prenatal nurses didn't want to take them). Some family doctors/obgyns will check it right off the bat though (heard from others pregnant), so sometimes it depends on the doctor. Seems like its more obgyns that prefer to check/monitor levels to ensure both hcg and progesterone are increasing (from what I've heard). Congrats and wishing u a happy and healthy pregnancy :smile:
  • Options
    My OB orders bloods when you call in reporting a BFP, whether there's a history of loss or not, to confirm the pregnancy since she doesn't see you until 8-10 weeks, and doesn't do an US until 10-12 weeks. However, this is not the norm! Every practice does things differently. My OB is very data oriented, so she just likes to have the numbers on everyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker