February 2017 Moms

FFFC!! 10/21

124»

Re: FFFC!! 10/21

• edited October 2016
    DH and I don't own any guns at the moment but it's just because we haven't bought any. I feel weird about guns and I would totally understand someone not wanting to leave their kid at a gun owners house. When one of my relatives was 6 years old he actually picked the locks to the gun safe and the separate ammo safe, figured out how to load them, and then shot through the mattress his mom was at the time sleeping in. Fortunately no one was hurt and his passion for tinkering turned into an engineering career, but it's so scary to think about. Especially since he didn't realize at the time how dangerous firearms are. I know gun safes are much harder to pick now, but I don't know how comfortable I feel about owning one. I'm all about teaching my kids about gun safety early on so they know they aren't toys. I also will not allow my kids to have toy guns just to add to the seriousness. I don't think kids should pretend to be shooting others even if they don't quite grasp the concept. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Holy crap @LivingLaVidaGinger! I'm so glad everyone was ok!

One thing I think about sometimes is that I'd like my son to have some level of gun safety awareness even though we aren't gun owners. Like, to know what to do if he ever finds a gun or ends up around them despite our best efforts. I want him to respect them and take them seriously. Like I mentioned, many in our life hunt and if he ever wanted to pursue that I think it's a hobby that teaches a ton of responsibility and love for the outdoors. It's not for me, but H would enjoy it enough if someone showed him how. 
  • Loading the player...
  • The whole gun conversation fascinates me.
    It's not something that needs consideration here, unless someone is in the police force or a farmer & even then there are extremely strict controls in place. We really only hear about the bad side of the guns in the States when theres a tragedy involved & it makes the news here so its a little difficult to comprehend any other argument as we simply arent given that side of things.
  • Partyof6? said:
    Oh yeah,  full on post partum, you want the biggest,  thickest pads you can find.   For me, nothing scented,  and nothing with a plastic top, I ended up really liking Stayfree, the kind I pictured my old maiden aunt wearing.   Anything else irritated the lady bits.
    I stole so many of those mesh undies and diaper pads from the hospital. Lolol. 
  • Team mesh underroos...team padsicles...also don't forget to let the lady bits breathe. After a shower I would sit on a towel for at least 10 min every day before loading up on all the vagina goodies. 
  • The whole gun conversation fascinates me.
    It's not something that needs consideration here, unless someone is in the police force or a farmer & even then there are extremely strict controls in place. We really only hear about the bad side of the guns in the States when theres a tragedy involved & it makes the news here so its a little difficult to comprehend any other argument as we simply arent given that side of things.
    My state just made national news bc we no longer require gun owners to do background checks or a bunch of other things. We've also had a lot of deaths recently for road rage. I wish we didn't have to worry about it. I feel like you arr much safer @Janefelicity.
  • I appreciate this gun conversation because it's been a huge topic in my family. My sister announced a few months ago that she planned to get a concealed carry permit. When I immediately informed her that my child will not be spending time alone at her house because of it, she got all huffy. But she is the kind of idiot who would leave a loaded gun in her purse on the kitchen table. No thank you. 
  • MommaBeanMommaBean member
    edited October 2016
    The whole gun conversation fascinates me.
    We only hear the bad side of it IN the states, too. Like a few months ago the teeenager who (I think drunk?) snuck into his neighbor's house instead of his own and was shot dead by the homeowner who thought he was defending himself from a burglary. They are very, very rarely used for their "intended" purpose. 

ETA: because they're either (most often) not being used and therefore not news as Winchester said, or (less often) something bad happens and that's what we all hear about. 
  • Both my sister and dad have their concealed carry permits. They never carry on them, it is mostly just for transporting the gun to the gun range (but even then my dad still has it locked up and in the trunk). I actually took the conceal carry class. I never filed for a permit because I don't own a gun, but it was really great for more understanding on proper gun safety. Even with all of this exposure, I am still on the fence when H says he wants to get a gun. Regardless, we will definitely teach our children proper gun safety since family members do own guns. It's not something everyone thinks about so I'm glad so many of you here are already thinking about it.