March 2017 Moms

RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU HAVE/HAVE HAD PLACENTA PREVIA.

Give me the scoop, ladies! 

I was put on pelvic rest and told not to do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for fear of having a bleed. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is pelvic rest the de facto recommendation? I have high hopes for this sucker moving in the next few months but will be twiddling my thumbs a little until then. Give me your experience!
Married DH 12/31/13
BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017

Re: RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU HAVE/HAVE HAD PLACENTA PREVIA.

• Hi!  I had it and it went away (by 18 weeks, so pretty early), and I was told it goes away in the vast majority of cases.  Fingers crossed that it resolves itself with you because seriously, pelvic rest?  Not cool.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a low lying placenta, not quite placenta previa, at 20 weeks. I was put on pelvic rest, 8 lb lifting limit, no strenuous activity, and was told to stay off the 4-wheeler and all our other fun toys. They told me, it never gets any lower, it can only go up, but if it doesn't go up enough/at all I would have needed a c-section. At 29 weeks it had gone up significantly and they lifted all my restrictions. 
  • Thanks, ladies!! I am thankful for your stories! I will be sweet talking my placenta northbound for the next 8 weeks:)
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • I went to the ER this weekend for dark red bleeding. Turns out I have a low laying plecenta. Mine is .4cm away from cervix and they like to see it at least 2cm away. I am on pelvic rest and was told not to lift more than 25lbs. The doctors I have spoke to sound optimistic that it will resolve as my uterus grows. Good luck to you! 
  • Also, my doctor wants to know about any bleeding other than brown spotting. 
  • I have it too. I've been on pelvic rest since 9 weeks (I'm now 19 weeks). I had some spotting early on and they will check it again at my big anatomy scan in a couple weeks. Hopefully it has resolved and I can be off pelvic rest!! I wasn't given any weight lifting limits- I've been picking up my 27+lb toddler all the time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also have it...very marginal...my perinatal doctor said there's just a sliver of my placenta is over my cervix.  I haven't had any bleeding or spotting but he wanted me on pelvic rest just in case.  No heavy llifting, exercising or sex...he said there's a 90% chance of it correcting itself, so I kind of hope that maybe by next week when I see him again it's better...DH is hating the no sex rule.
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• From what I've read it can take a while (30-36 weeks gestation) until it fixes itself. I hope ours all correct sooner than that! 
  • Ultrasound just showed that I have a slight previa (covers cervix, but not completely). Hoping it resolves itself quickly.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• @RunBooRun good luck to you, the odds are in our favor :) 
  • I had a follow up appointment yesterday. I am not spotting anymore, so that's good! Dr. told me anterior placentas are more likely to move than posterior placentas. I have a posterior placenta. I have a follow up ultrasound in two weeks to see if it's moved at all. 
  • Just had the anatomy scan yesterday and the tech seemed slightly concerned at the position, said it was very low, and she had an intern in there with her and they both had trouble looking from different angles and couldn't tell exactly where it started as to how low it is. She said she will have the radiologist look at it to determine the results. I have my next OB appt on Monday so I hope to hear feedback regarding this.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Phil413 I had to have a few ultrasounds until they could tell exactly how low my placenta was. It wasn't until they did a transvaginal that they could get a really good picture. I kinda took it as a good sign that they were unsure- that at least it wasn't obviously a complete previa. Turns out mine is considered "low laying" and isn't touching the cervix, but still too close (only .4cm away). I hope you get some answers on Monday! 
  • @jazzyma14She had me do a transvaginal just in case and took more pictures that way. The way she made it seem was exactly like you said-- close to the bottom but not placenta previa. She told me I will probably be told to avoid physical activity. She also told me that with that you often see a lot of bleeding and spotting which makes so much sense and explains why I saw so much of that early on. At this point I'm not too worried but am interested to hear what the doc's opinion on it is.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • During my perinatal appointment yesterday they checked the position of my placenta and it has moved!  My doctor said that anywhere from 2.5-3cm away from the cervix is where they like it to be before lifting any restrictions, and mine was 2.8...DH and I celebrated this morning between the sheets :)

I hope everyone else's cooperates and moves out of the way as well!
    Boom, girl! Does your placenta give lessons?

Married DH 12/31/13
  • @AverageAsh try and sweet talk your uterus into growing a little faster :)  I hope yours corrects itself soon!

• Joining this club after today's ultrasound. Hoping that the placenta moves up by my next scan! It's just too close to the cervix, not over it, so the dr wasn't super concerned yet. 
  • @Happyhiker welcome to the club
  • I had my follow up ultrasound today. No more previa!! My placenta is over 3cm away from cervix. I do have a bleed that they are keeping an eye on. Still on pelvic rest and lifting restriction due to that. Glad I don't have to worry about the previa though! 
  • Great news @jazzyma14!!

• Yaaaay, @jazzyma14! I hope that bleed resolves itself
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • Anatomy scan today and it's still there :(
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• There's still time @RunBooRun
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • edited November 2016
    Low lying placenta here, not quite true previa. Per the doc, I have a posterior placenta but the edge is only 1.4-1.7 cm from the center of the cervix. Pelvic rest until the recheck ultrasound in 8 weeks. Anyone know how far the placenta has to move to be considered "safe"?

ETA - someone's post says 2.5-3 cm away is ideal. Here's hoping it moves! 
  • @CoconutKisses21 mine moved from .4cm away to 3.6cm away in only 3 weeks! Mine was also posterior. It can move a lot and very quickly. Best of luck to you! 
  • There's still time @RunBooRun
    There going to check it again at my 32 week appt, so pelvic rest until the end of Jan at least ☹️
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• My previa has corrected itself according to my anatomy scan last week. Very thankful!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a checkup today and the doc was a little concerned that the MFM didn't talk to me after the anatomy scan last week. Baby is fine and growing and all that. Placenta is low and they suspect placenta previa. For some reason, the tech didn't get a measurement so they don't know how close it is to the cervix right now. We have a followup ultrasound next Wednesday so they can check and get that measurement. 

The complication is that I have started having light spotting when I wipe. He said that if it gets any heavier, we need to head to the hospital. Being that I am 22 weeks, they won't really do anything to try and save the baby if something goes wrong until about 23 weeks. 

He did say that if the placenta doesn't move and if I don't have any other complications, it would only mean that we would schedule a c-section at 36-37 weeks, meaning early March for me. Best case scenario is that it moves and all is fine. Next best case is we make it to 36/37 weeks and have the c-section. Right now, the goal is to get to next week when I make it to their viability date. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • @thisisallyson Sending you positive thoughts that no serious bleeding occurs!! Rooting for you to make it to viability and beyond! 
  • @thisisallyson I'm sorry the tech didn't get that measurement! At least you'll get another peek at LO next week!  Prayers the bleeding stops on its own and there are no other issues! 
  • Thinking of you @thisisallyson!

For those of you of pelvic rest still...did your doctors specifically say no oragasms? Mine did not specify-he just said don't put anything in there. Haha.  So basically I am wondering if we can do other stuff. I will ask this awkward question to my doctor but don't see him for 2 more weeks. I've read mixed ideas about what pelvic rest entails. 
  • @jazzyma14 Mine didn't specify either so that kind of annoyed me. Some websites say there's a greater lifting restriction and all kinds of other things. I was just told no intercourse or tampons. Who uses tampons while pregnant? 

I had my us today and no previa! The tech said they look for anything more than 2 cm and my placenta it's 7cm away. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Phil413 Awesome! Congrats! My previa is gone as well but I still have a blot clot so still on the same restrictions. I asked my doctor at my last appointment and he said oragasms are fine- just no intercourse. 
  • @RunBooRun congrats and have fun ;) 

I was cleared of my previa a while ago but have been on pelvic rest due to blot clots. they have been monitoring those every 3 weeks. My last ultrasound showed my placenta is just barely 2cm away which is borderline. When I was cleared it was over 3cm away. I am so confused. 
  • Ugh! I thought I was cleared last month, but no. Today my placenta is closer than ever (1.5 cm), and baby's head is trappping it there. It looks like a scheduled c-section for me. There's little chance of it moving now. I'm surprisingly disappointed and emotional about this. It's tough to change the way I've been thinking about birth.