February 2017 Moms

Birth Plans & Labor Fears

Re: Birth Plans & Labor Fears

• @LilyASF42 My understanding is that if you tear naturally it heals better than if you get cut. In my midwife practice they let you tear naturally and were horrified that I thought they might perform an epi.

@Vastra +1 to not being able to handle pain meds! They make me so so so sick.

I'm a FTM and giving birth at a birth center about 30 min from my house. Like PPs I'm worried about snow. I plan to labor at work/ home as long as I can. My birth center has 2 private rooms with a tub and bed. They also have balls and wall grippers they can attach to stuff so I can squat, bear down, whatever.

They don't do pain meds at all so an epidural is not an option. I'm going to have my H and mom in the room with the midwife.

I'm doing Bradley classes and plan to read a book on Hypnobirthing (any suggestions?)

I'm not scared of childbirth. Like PP said, I know it won't tickle but being med/intervention free is really important to me. If something happens, my midwives have admitting privileges at the local hospital so they will stay with me if I need an emergency C or something.

I'm more scared of keeping a newborn alive and driving home after giving birth-- my birth center releases you 3 hrs after you can pee. sooo H is gonna have to drive SLOW.

Anyone doing delayed cord clamping/ delayed bathing?
  • @LilyASF42 My understanding is that if you tear naturally it heals better than if you get cut. In my midwife practice they let you tear naturally and were horrified that I thought they might perform an epi.

@Vastra +1 to not being able to handle pain meds! They make me so so so sick.

I'm a FTM and giving birth at a birth center about 30 min from my house. Like PPs I'm worried about snow. I plan to labor at work/ home as long as I can. My birth center has 2 private rooms with a tub and bed. They also have balls and wall grippers they can attach to stuff so I can squat, bear down, whatever.

They don't do pain meds at all so an epidural is not an option. I'm going to have my H and mom in the room with the midwife.

I'm doing Bradley classes and plan to read a book on Hypnobirthing (any suggestions?)

I'm not scared of childbirth. Like PP said, I know it won't tickle but being med/intervention free is really important to me. If something happens, my midwives have admitting privileges at the local hospital so they will stay with me if I need an emergency C or something.

I'm more scared of keeping a newborn alive and driving home after giving birth-- my birth center releases you 3 hrs after you can pee. sooo H is gonna have to drive SLOW.

Anyone doing delayed cord clamping/ delayed bathing?
  • Loading the player...

• One of my biggest worries is going into labor to soon. I will be up at my parents house at Keystone Ski Resort with my family for two weeks during the holidays. What happens if I end up going up there? I do not know the hospital, the doctors,etc... I really want my doctor. I have a huge fear of male OBGYN doctors, no matter how many times people say he has seen it all etc... I can't help but think about the reason this male doctor choose to go into OBGYN when they were in college and that creeps me out to no end, also I want a doctor who has been through this before, it is like male doctor shut up, you do not know what I am going through....  My husband being the accountant jokes around though saying well at least we get a tax write off if baby comes early.

My other fear is I will be late and then they will have to induce labor, my family has a history of being late and they moved up my original due date because of my babys size but part of me still thinks that was wrong. And I have read inducing labor normally leads to more painful births. 

My plan: Hopefully baby will start naturally around the due date. I will wait a bit at my house, that way I can still move around etc... then go into the hospital. Not sure how long I will wait though, something I need to talk to my doctor about. Also I do not know my hospital's policy on eating, but if they do not allow eating, I am going to make sure I eat before I go to the hospital. Food is very important to me. I already plan on using epi. Key thing my husband needs to ask the person putting it in, how many years experience they have doing that, I have read to many stories of newbies poking people a ton of times, cause they could not get it in. Hell no... Other than that just plan on going with the flow. I do not have any other specific birth plans, I trust my doctor and I also like the other person that covers her when she is not there who is a midwife, so if they say I need something I will trust them. 
    Oh my gosh! I have a crazy fear/discomfort with male docs, too. Unfortunately, you can never really predict when you will have baby (unless you have a scheduled induction or cesarean... even then...). DD1 was 5 days early, so imagine my surprise when DD2 was 8 days LATE! LOL.  The advice for almost all women when they are debating when to go in is to labor at home as long as possible and when things *change*, head in. By change you will notice a difference. Don't focus on the intervals or lengths of contractions. Listen to your body, you.will.know. when things change. Have a light snack on the way to hospital, stay hydrated, etc. Since you're planning on an epi - I commented above about the use of a peanut ball and importance of changing position even after its placed. 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• homemake said:
    I want to go med free! I was open to epidural last time but I want the door to only be like a crack open this time and hopefully be able to push through the pain. My concerns are more logistics based. The hospital is a solid hour away from my home and our babysitter is a solid three hours away from both our home and the hospital. So we'll be taking my daughter to the hospital with us an hour away and hoping my MIL can come at a moments notice and pick her up two hours after that.... Also hoping I make it easily to the hospital in the hour and on the other hand hoping they don't turn me away when I do get there. 
    Going med-free is a truly realistic goal, especially when you are aware of how flexible you should be. Those travel times are a nightmare! Could you have someone meet you there to watch your daughter? Or have someone come to the house? The last thing you'll want to be doing in the throes is making childcare arrangements. If they turn you away- go find a mall or Target to walk. :) 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• My plan so far......getting baby girl out safe and sound....and DH is the only person allowed with me while I deliver. It is our special moment. Aside from that....I am a FTM so I have no idea what to expect, I can't say whether or not I will want meds, it depends on what happens in that moment. I am not putting any pressure on myself to make big decisions until the time comes.....the main goal is baby's safety and sharing that moment with DH. My fear is going into labor at work and I just have some anxiety over the unknown. Will I know I am in labor? Will it be slow or fast labor? Will I be able to deliver her naturally or will I need a c-secion? Will I be able to do it without meds or will I be so uncomfortable that I will need them? Just those types of unknown things. But I trust DH and my Dr whole-heartedly as supports during labor, and my Dr will help me make the best decisions to get baby girl into the world safe and sound. 
    It can be really difficult to know if you're in labor. For the most part you really won't question when its truly going on/progressing. My MW's trick (that I stole for my clients) is to drink a glass of water and take a relaxing shower. (not bath). Dehydration can cause "false" contractions and the shower should relax you to speed up real labor or halt the practice stuff! In labor just keep moving, stay off your back, and listen to your body. Barring medical emergency most women's bodies know what they are doing and will work miracles if they let it happen.  

• @Gretchypoo we are learning about cord clamping in my bradley class tonight!!!!
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Before i was pregnant i was sure that i would want all the meds, have an epidural & wouldve had an elective section given the option. Being pregnant has made me think it through a bit more. Im not completely against meds & im concerned about the possibility of an emergency section but will try to go as natural as possible. For now thats all i have, as a ftm i have no experience to rely on & am a little terrified but trying to stay calm about it in general.
  • @Gretchypoo I plan to do delayed cord clamping and bathing. I believe both are common or default options at my hospital; I know my hospital emphasizes the importance of immediate skin-to-skin no matter how your baby comes out, and they say that they like to give you one hour to bond before doing any treatments or anything like that. I'll need to get some more details. I honestly didn't know that bathing right away was a thing. I thought it was more like a quick wipe-down. I am okay with Vitamin K shot, eye ointment, and Hep B and will follow my midwives' advice on those.
    Same. Both are common practice at my hospital so you don't even have to request. I think they used to bathe on day 1 but now have pushed it back to day 2. Your description is right for how it will go. 
  • Re: tearing - They almost all allow it to happen naturally. Gwen came very very fast once she finally engaged so I ripped ... a lot. But my midwife did a perfect job stitching and besides needing a knot removed around 4 weeks PP they healed perfectly and never bothered me.

Well this is my second time around as with the first the hospital part gives me more anxiety then the birth....

My main goal is to avoid an induction. Although it was medically indicated last time and worked out very well - it dictated my birth plan and interventions. I'm thankful that I had the best midwife on that day!

To mentally prepare I try to focus in on how our bodies were made for this! I'm going to make something like this... last time I used just plain notecards.
  • Okay so I'm one of those crazy people who learns something new and then I spend hours googling it until I feel like I know a decent amount about said thing. Well recently before bfp I learned about afe and I am absolutely terrified of it. And the rational side of me knows it's rare and it doesn't happen often. But the irrational panic disorder side of me is debilitated and I can't focus on any other aspect of labor/delivery due to ridiculous irrational fear. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Repeat c-section. I was okay with it but now I'm getting scared. I think it's because I watched little women la and she was saying her second hurt so much more so now I have that stupid fear. 

• @Gretchypoo The hospital I will deliver at does not bath the baby for a long time. When they do it is in your room, from the time of birth until the time you leave the baby is never out of your room for any reason, other than NICU or something like that. We will not do delayed cord clamping.

I have no real plan. It will be only my partner and myself until right after birth. I may or may not have an epidural. I have had med-free and an epidural. I have no issues with an epidural or other medication, they can be amazing when wanted. I never go in with a plan, I have never been really worried about the labour and delivery. I have had average babies and I have had a larger baby. (not huge) There are a lot of huge babies in my family and some with big heads. I am hoping for an average sized baby with a average sized head but who knows.

I will not have a car when I deliver but the hospital is only a few towns away. I will probably take a bus or a cab. (From 30 minutes-1.5 hours depending on the day or time) There could be a snowstorm at the time as I do live in Ontario, it happens. I might even be at school, about 2.5 away hours by public transit. 

I am not too concerned. Blizzard or ice storm, I will get there. Labour will hurt. If I don't want to deal with all the pain I will get help.

The immediate recovery will be ok, lots of rest since I won't have to keep baby hours. Hopefully no hemorrhoids this time. (Unpleasant surprise after my 3rd) 
  • I've been reading this thread all day and I'm overwhelmed. FTM and no real birth plan. The only thing I know for sure is that I'm delivering with a CNM at a great hospital only 15-20 minutes from my house depending on traffic. I know I would really like to avoid a c-section unless medically necessary. Still unsure about going med free. I've heard recovery can be a lot better that way, so I may try for that at first but be willing to get an epidural if I need it. I have a lot of anxiety about labor in general and it only increases when I worry about what could cause further issues (I have very low blood pressure, asthma, etc). We are taking our birth class early next month and I am hoping this will help guide me to create a better plan and to be more prepared.
  • My birthplan: Have baby. Hold baby.

I'm not going to get hung up on details, currently I'm waiting to see if my placenta previa clears up so I know how it's all going to go down. I'll do delayed cord clamping and delayed bathing, skin to skin as soon as the little one emerges (DH will also be doing skin to skin in the event I'm unable to). We're doing the "Golden 24" so no visitors for a full 24 hours, more likely no visitors until we're home and settled.

The only thing I'm nervous about is if we'll get into a birthing class- waiting to see our next ultrasound if I'll even get the option to go vaginally. I didn't want to spend the money now in the event I need a section anyways. Same with a doula, though we have plans for a post partum doula. At any rate, DH is reading The Birthing Partner, and I'm reading Ina's book.

Oh, and maybe I'm a weirdo but it totally motivates me to hear the phrases "you're a champion" and "drop the effing hammer!" From DH when I'm working hard at something, so he'll be given cue cards of predetermined phrases to say. He can read me like a book so I don't feel the need to micromanage further. He can also look or be anywhere he wants during the birth, he's pretty squeemish though, but I'm not going to deny him seeing the baby crowning because I know his joy at seeing that will give me so much motivation to keep going. He rocks.

If I need a C section I'll research that more when the time comes :)
  • I haven't read through the responses yet but my basic plan is to go for a VBAC but I'm fully preparing myself for a repeat c-section.

I'm not going in super rigid about it but it's what I'd really like but the end goal is to get the baby out safely and for us to both be good.

No fears really because I'm trying to be realistic about it. I do plan to get my tubes tied if I do have a c-section so I guess I worry if that's going to affect healing time or pose any complications after birth.
    This is me, except for getting my tubes tied. 

I am not not going to stress about it, whatever happens happens. 
  • You guys I'm so happy about this thread and reading everyone's plans!  

I am hoping to have a natural birth with no pain meds.  That said, I'm nervous that I'll be able to handle the pain and am trying to ignore those friends/family who have told me their horror stories and that I should get an epidural for sure.  I've read Ina May Gaskin and am thinking all of the good thoughts.  I am also going to take a natural birthing class given by a collective of doulas in my area in December and am looking forward to getting some good coping strategies, etc.

I have an OB who is somewhat supportive of natural birth, as well as a doula who I am very comfortable with.  I was hoping to deliver with a midwife in a hospital, but wasn't able to find that in close enough proximity to my home - and my husband wasn't comfortable with a birthing center.  I'll only have my Husband and my doula in the room when I deliver.  My hospital is about 10 minutes from my house and has some good policies, like immediate skin to skin, delayed bathing, baby stays in the room with you at all times, etc.  The hospital also has some tubs to labor in (hopefully they have one available when I'm in labor).  

My one worry is that I will have to be induced if I don't go into labor naturally.  Both my mom and sister were induced with both of their babies - so I feel like it is more likely it will happen with me too.  My doula has suggested as much hill walking/exercise as possible to keep my hips open and mobile so the baby will descend naturally and start to thin my cervix as it gets closer to the due date.  She also mentioned an induction shake that gets things moving, but I dunno if that is just hocus pocus.  Although my mom and sister were both induced, they were able to have unmedicated births, so I hope I can too!  Oh and our family makes giant babies, I was 10 lbs, my sister was over 9 and my aunts/cousins all had large babies too.  My dad always says it is great, because the newborn comes out super sturdy and you aren't afraid you will break them!  But then he didn't give birth to them sooo....
  • I don't have a plan because it likely wont go as planned anyways. This is baby number 4 and I've been induced with everyone so I assume I will be induced again. In which case I plan to have a epidural and push out a baby!          
     As for "tearing" Most doctors will allow you to tear naturally as you will heal quicker , however they will do it in emergency but you shouldn't feel it. (I have been scared about this everytime)  

• @Gretchypoo  re: hypnobirthing. my midwife recommended it and DH are starting classes (5 sessions) in a couple of weeks. i like the premise of it. and i liked that its only 5 classes vs 12 with bradley. ;) 
    welcoming our ewok 2/6/17
  • Thanks, ladies! 

Also, thanks for thr reminder to sign up for my damn Bradley Method classes! We start Nov 5-- yay!
  • For any FTMs like me, or really anyone I guess, there are many Birth Plan templates out there you can use! I've found a couple in the books I've been reading, but from there internet, here are my top two that I liked so far. They both felt pretty all-inclusive and also help you to think of things you wouldn't have really thought of and maybe provoke some googling, questions for birth classes, or discussions with your S/O and STMs here:

The Bump
    EarthMama
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My hope this time around is that my body will go into labor on it's own.  My water broke with my son and I had to be induced the next day because my body just didn't do it's thing.  Being induced was my number one fear my first time around simply because usually you hear of people needing c-sections after being induced. It freaked me out.  I did deliver vaginally so not all inductions lead to sections.  

I just want to go into labor on my own if my body will cooperate this time.  And I would like to make it past 36 weeks - my son was born at 36 weeks.
  • I have all of the fears and none of the plans. I would really like to go med-free and definitely avoid a c-section. 
    Honestly my biggest fear is tearing. It makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I'm pretty sure I will tear though because my family always has big babies and unforgiving skin. 
    Other than tearing I'm not worried. I'll just go with the flow and do what I need to in order to get baby out safely. 
  • As crazy as this sounds my fear has little to do with baby coming out, and everything to do with how we're going to handle the situation with our pets, specifically our dog. Unfortunately a kennel is out because she's not good with other dogs, and the only people who have ever really looked after her are the grandparents that are going to want to be at the hospital as I'm pushing the kid out. She's a very high stress dog and can't be left alone for great periods of time so I'm kinda freaked out.  I'm trying to formulate a plan in my head to make this work... I'm thinking my best bet is my "uncle" Dave, he's a super close friend of my dads, known him for almost forty years. He's good with animals, I know him well and trust him, I just have to hope he'd be willing to do it for my husband and I. He's never met our dog, but I'm sure I could introduce him like a month or so before my due date if he agrees to it.
    Aside from that my fears regarding pregnancy are typical FTM fears. Things like: how bad will it hurt, will something go wrong during my labour, generic stuff. I haven't formulated a birth plan just yet but I am sure my midwife and I will go over all that he closer I get to my EDD.
  • So far I am hoping/thinking VBAC, but you never know!

My first daughter was head-down from 32 weeks and in perfect position until 8cm dilated, and then she turned sideways and put her arms up (she was also 8lbs. and 95% head size and I am very petite). So after 36 hours of labour, I decided on a c-section. My OB either thinks she turned by chance (so next baby could be fine) or may have turned because she was too big and my pelvis has a narrow exit (could affect next baby too).

I guess we'll find out soon! Due Feb 2nd, Schedule c-section Feb 9th just to secure a date in case I want it.
  • For my living son, my water broke before contractions started and his head wasn't all the way down. (It actually broke suddenly on the sidewalk of an outlet mall. I was annoyed it was my due date and nothing was happening yet, so I went shopping)! 

Anyhow, once at the hospital, the doctors were very concerned about cord prolapse, since his head wasn't lodged down in there yet. So I wasn't allowed to get out of bed at all (or risk cord prolapse and emergency delivery or worse).

I had practiced all these techniques for natural childbirth, but I couldn't get up and do any of them. (My contractions felt like the worst giant Charlie horse and all I wanted to do was jump up and get out of bed to walk it off. Being stuck sucked). I ended up getting an epidural after many hours to help with the pain. It was nice to rest a little after getting it. My labor lasted 17 hours.

This time, I'm not sure. If I'm able to get up and move around, I might not need an epidural. But there's nothing wrong with getting one if I do. 
  • @BeckS13 I hear you on the dog situation. We also have a high anxiety dog, but she is the opposite of yours - she LOVES other dogs and does not like people. We just worked out a plan with her daycare though so that is a check off our list. If our dog was not other dog friendly, I would have her stay with our behavioral trainer. He does "boarding" as well but he does it specifically to train and work. That means no interaction with other dogs and only with other people if it pertains to training. Maybe you have someone like that in your area that you could look into and maybe get some behavior training in too! Trust me, this is my biggest stress too. Are you worried at all about how your dog will be once baby arrives? Because it is giving me such anxiety.
  • @BeckS13 I hear you on the dog situation. We also have a high anxiety dog, but she is the opposite of yours - she LOVES other dogs and does not like people. We just worked out a plan with her daycare though so that is a check off our list. If our dog was not other dog friendly, I would have her stay with our behavioral trainer. He does "boarding" as well but he does it specifically to train and work. That means no interaction with other dogs and only with other people if it pertains to training. Maybe you have someone like that in your area that you could look into and maybe get some behavior training in too! Trust me, this is my biggest stress too. Are you worried at all about how your dog will be once baby arrives? Because it is giving me such anxiety.
    I am petrified of how the dog will react when baby arrives. She still hasn't gotten over her, "I'm going to jump on you and smell all over you" phase. Our dog has little to no concept of personal space at times, and with an infant, then a baby learning to crawl... yeah, it freaks me out big time.  When we adopted her from the SPCA our only situation that would result in us giving her back would be if she was not compatible with a newborn baby. As cruel as I am going to sound, that still stands. My husband and I have discussed at length what we will accept from her in terms of behavior around a baby, although I REALLY don't want to give her back to the SPCA, they can stay there for so long sometimes, it's awful.  If she's bad around an infant what I'll likely go back to the woman who trained her and ask if there might be anyone willing to take our dog from us. Someone kind who can be around a lot and would have the time and patience for a dog so high energy. I would really hate to do it because we've made such huge strides with her since we got her and she's a sweetheart, just energetic. I fear the steps we've taken to get her trained and keep her trained aren't enough though and it worst comes to worst my baby comes before anything else.
  • +1 to dog training! Our dog is just a puppy with some questionable habits but he still tries to nibble on people and jump. We are also trying to teach him "quiet." We are doing classes and we have the name and number of a dog behaviorist if there are big problems when Baby gets home.

Do your research now, train early and have a plan if something goes wrong. It may help with the anxiety. 
  • A suggestion I heard of too is that if you have a grandparent or friend come to the hospital, take a blanket or two that the baby has been wrapped up in and have them bring it home so the dog can smell it and get used to the scent so they're not overly curious when baby comes home.

We have a shock collar on our dog where the first level of it is only a 'beep' that you push on a remote. He became used to it because when we had an electric fence, it would start beeping as a warning when he got too close to the fence (If he jumped the fence then it gave him a shock). We've only used the shock in extreme situations like him jumping (out of excitement) on a kid or excessive barking at a neighbor. Maybe try training him with the beep or a similar command so he can get used to understanding that?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/dogs-and-babies

Here is a great article on how to train your dog for babies, that I am following. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • That site is great @skiingstark! I will definitely be using this as we start to train our dog
  • My first birth went pretty much perfect so I'm hoping this time is the same. I had gestational diabetes (diet controlled) the first time and so I was induced at 41 weeks. This time I am not able to control it with diet so I'm pretty sure they will not let me go past 40 weeks. The induction started at 7:15Am and then I had breakfast. Relaxed most the morning and had lunch. After lunch I had an epidural and took a nap. My husband and I watched a few movies and then I started pushing around 4:15. Peter was born at 6:43 PM perfectly healthy. I had dinner and then the two days of going crazy living in the hospital happened. 

My my birth plan was that I wanted as smooth and painless birthing process. I wanted what was safest for the baby. 

My husband, Mother and Mother in law were all there when he was born. This time someone needs to watch our little guy so it will be my husband and Mom. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• BeckS13 said:
    I am petrified of how the dog will react when baby arrives. She still hasn't gotten over her, "I'm going to jump on you and smell all over you" phase. Our dog has little to no concept of personal space at times, and with an infant, then a baby learning to crawl... yeah, it freaks me out big time.  When we adopted her from the SPCA our only situation that would result in us giving her back would be if she was not compatible with a newborn baby. As cruel as I am going to sound, that still stands. My husband and I have discussed at length what we will accept from her in terms of behavior around a baby, although I REALLY don't want to give her back to the SPCA, they can stay there for so long sometimes, it's awful.  If she's bad around an infant what I'll likely go back to the woman who trained her and ask if there might be anyone willing to take our dog from us. Someone kind who can be around a lot and would have the time and patience for a dog so high energy. I would really hate to do it because we've made such huge strides with her since we got her and she's a sweetheart, just energetic. I fear the steps we've taken to get her trained and keep her trained aren't enough though and it worst comes to worst my baby comes before anything else.
    You can start training your dog now to get ready for the baby. We are doing this with our dog and if you do not feel comfortable doing it on your own, hire a dog trainer that has done baby training.

Our dog is skittish and over protective of people he considered part of the pack. He is scared of strangers and esp scared of kids. We have already started training him to get use to the baby. We started doing all of our walks with the stroller to get him use to it. We also started him getting use to being in the back of our car with a fence, so he cannot get to the baby in the car. With dogs it is all about training, some dogs are easier than others, but if you start now, your dog should be okay with the baby. 
    I'm not sure we would be able to do it on our own, she hardly listens to us as it is(won't come when she's called, hardly stays in one place even in a down stay), and we work with her a lot, continuous with our routine; it just doesn't get through. I could see if the woman who trained her the first time would be able to do any kind of baby training, but she was expensive, almost to the point of being ridiculous. When she first trained our dog she only took her for half a day at a time, but still charged us as if it were for a full day. I would have to check google to see if there are any other dog trainers in my area, but I live in a small town and there really aren't that many options. This is what makes it so frustrating.
    The one thing I know my husband and I have to get our dog used to again is car rides. Hubby and I don't take her too many places by car so we have to take her on short little trips to make her less excited about it all. Where did you find a gate for your dog though? Does it separate both the seats and the floor in the back I suppose? I've never heard of doing something like that to be honest.
  • @BeckS13 is your dog aggressive or just a spazz?