Help! (Sorry, kinda long) — The Bump
Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Help! (Sorry, kinda long)

This is my first posting on here, so first of all I'm Brittney.  I have an 8 wk old son, Isaiah. 
I'm so desperate to see if anyone has a similar experience and can help me out!  So to begin with my milk never came in, so we started FF.  We started with enfamil newborn, not long after starting that he started projectile vomiting and was starting to get fussy. So we switched his formula to enfamil AR, since the nurse said she thought he had reflux issues.  Not long after being on that formula, he began to get constipated. So we then put him on enfamil reguline.  He was still soo fussy, choking and gagging when he ate, etc (all the signs of reflux) but the dr put him on nutramigen because she thought he had a milk allergy.  About 2 weeks after that I took him back to the dr because he still just seemed so uncomfortable, so they put him on zantac. (That was on monday).  

So the past 2 days, he has been super fussy. He woke up at 7:30 in the morning, and I couldn't get him to go back to sleep until 4:30 that afternoon. He will doze off for 30 minutes tops, then startle awake like someone has pinched him, and starts screaming. The only that seems to calm him down is eating, and I know he's not that hungry all the time. And he will even stop in the middle of a feeding and start crying. This formula has started giving him constipation issues now, so I don't know of that's part of the problem?

He's like this night and day, and I'm barely running on fumes right now. Didn't know if anyone has had a similar experience or can give any advice! 

Re: Help! (Sorry, kinda long)

• If he's having constipation issues, that could be part of the problem (think about how our adult bodies feel when we get constipated). My nephew had that as an infant and it caused gas buildup and bad tummy pains. My brother would gently rub /. massage his tummy to help get the gas out and they fed him Similac Soy formula and Similac Soy Isomil. 

I think you may need to consider seeing a new doctor if this doctor can't figure it out. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• We're going for his 2 mth visit on Thursday, so I'm hoping they can figure out what's going on.  At this point I'm worried he has colic :neutral:
  • Loading the player...
  • FX you get some answers on Thursday!
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Do you swaddle? That makes a huge difference for us regarding the quality and quantity of sleep. My son also is on Zantac, and I found the fisher price smart connect auto rocking bassinet he sleeps well in. I think the incline helps

BlissB1987
  • Okay my little one had similar issues. He would go 3 days without pooping. Ask your doctor about giving him some prune juice. It gets things moving. It's the iron in the formula that causes the constipation, it does get better. I think we added an ounce to his bottle when needed. As for the eating, they are always hungry it seems at that age. 
    Are you still using the nutramigen? Is the vomiting better? I noticed the spitting up was considerably better when we switched to it. If you are still using it, make sure you get a prescription for it and go through your insurance company for it. Another thing is, how fast does he drink his bottle? Mine could do three ounces in less than 4 minutes he would suck down his bottles which didn't help with the projectile issues. 

Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012