January 2017 Moms

Symptoms w/o 10/10:

Re: Symptoms w/o 10/10:

• @hayhay87 I totally fluctuate a ton at this stage of pregnancy. One appointment I'll measure a week or two behind, the next I'll measure a week ahead and then I'll measure right on track after that. My doctor did get concerned when I measured 35 weeks at 34, 36 and 37 but it took that many appointments with no change for her to be like "hmm". I think it has a ton to do with where baby is when they take the measurements! 
  • I'm a little nervous this morning. I've been having period-like cramps on my lower right side all morning. I'm trying to drink water and sit comfortably, but I'm also thinking maybe I should call the doctor. But then again, I also feel like I might be overreacting and this is totally normal. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @emy730 I feel that way from time to time and so far it's just been a combination of not enough water and how the baby is positioned. This kid is curled up on my right side and low and I always notice pains/aches there much more frequently then my left side. 

I mentioned it to my dr at my last visit and she said not to be concerned unless I start having timeable/painful contractions. 

If you're feeling off though and think it could be something more, it definitely doesn't hurt to call and see what they say. Hopefully the pain goes away for you! Keep us updated! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @emy730 I'm a firm believer that there is no harm in calling the doctor even if you feel like you might be overreacting. I'd rather be safe than sorry and that's what they are there for. I say give them a call.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @emy730 I agree with PPs that there's no harm in calling your doctor. I've actually torn my muscles in that area before when throwing up. I only mention it, because I know you said you're still sick. I think water and rest is probably the way to go though. 

It sucks when you don't know the right answer. I'm in a similar boat this morning. I woke up at 4am with chest pain. It comes and goes (up by my diaphragm with absolutely no time consistency), but it almost feels like when you swallow a large ice cube and you can feel it the whole way down. I did get my flu shot yesterday so I'm not sure if it's causing tightness in my chest (I've had at least a dozen flu shots in my life). Or maybe it's a tiny foot in my diaphragm, because he feels so much higher. He's super active today and I'm just trying to drink fluids and stay at my desk. We have our class at the hospital tonight so I told DH we might be swinging through L&D if I feel worse. 
  • @emy730 I'd call. You're right that it's probably nothing, could be like what @christac1010 said or it could be a UTI or it could be that baby is just chilling down there and causing discomfort. Either way they may be able to give you some advice to ease the pain even if they aren't concerned about it. 
  • @emy730 I'd call. You're right that it's probably nothing, could be like what @christac1010 said or it could be a UTI or it could be that baby is just chilling down there and causing discomfort. Either way they may be able to give you some advice to ease the pain even if they aren't concerned about it. 
    Agree 100%. My MWs say to always call if you are experiencing period like cramps. I had this a few weeks ago - both central and then on just the left side - and I went in to get checked out. They measured my cervix and confirmed it was long and closed, which was instantly reassuring. They also took cultures to test for an infection and for other indicators of early labor. Everything came back negative, but I felt much better knowing the serious stuff had been ruled out. The conclusion was it was either gas or I had just been overdoing it, but my MW also gave me some good suggestions to help ease the discomfort. 
  • Speaking of calling doctor, what's the turn-around for callbacks everyone has with their OB/MW? I feel like mine is terrible and it actually really puts me off to calling for symptoms and things. I have a 0 for 7 record for actually getting the OB's nurse, I leave a voicemail, and I can't think of a single time she's ever called back in less than... I dunno, 8 hours? There's also literally no one to call on the weekend. We called when I had bronchitis on a Saturday and she called back on a Monday.

They do have a special menu option for OB patients that believe they're in active labor, but nothing otherwise. It just seems super weird for an OB practice that is part of the hospital. I didn't really think much of it during early pregnancy because all of my concerns were minor and frivolous but at 29 weeks, there's definitely been a couple of times where it seems like they should be calling back way sooner.
  • @canavara Typically I hear back within about an hour. However, if it's ever something that I'm really worried about, I can also call L&D and talk to someone right away. My office has an on-call OB that you can call any time but I've never used it but it's nice to know the option is there. That's crazy that it takes a day for you get hear back from your doctor.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @canavara that seems way too long. I've called once this pregnancy because I had a terrible migraine and the OB nurse called back within the hour. It was first thing in the morning so not sure if that made a difference but anything over a couple of hours seems like too late. Maybe mention it at your next appointment. As we get closer to due dates I would want to know that if I call with questions someone will get back to me quickly!
  • Well I ended up chugging a bunch of water and going for a short walk and they are totally gone now. And he's moving around in his typical ninja ways. If they come back, I'm going to call, but I think I was just a bit dehydrated from puking last night.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay I'm glad to know I'm not crazy thinking 8 hours is a long time. Thankfully I have a doula who I usually reach out to first but yeah... I've been having something that feels like pelvic girdle pain but when I google it all together it sounds like preterm labor symptoms! So I've been trying to reach my OB all morning with no luck... really disconcerting to be having pelvic pressure and lower back pain and not have a nurse care to call back in a timely manner. Definitely going to complain at my next appt this week
  • I'm probably in the minority here, but don't really expect to get much out of a telephone call with a doctor, so I don't really think it's too unreasonable @canavara. If I was calling the doctor with symptoms like cramping, pain, etc., I can't imagine the response would really be anything other than, for example, "it could be gas or it could be labor." And the doctor is either going to tell me to come in and be seen or go to L&D. I just don't think over the phone is productive for that kind of issue. If it's more of a routine question or something non-urgent, then I don't think that kind of turn around time is unreasonable because it's not urgent. At my clinic, you can always call L&D or go be seen there or try to get a same day appointment at the OB clinic. Also, if I like I was experiencing true pre-term labor or labor signs, I'd call L&D and get a read on it from them and figure out whether I need to be seen. 
  • @canavara I agree that that's a long turnaround time. My MWs have a direct line for pregnant patients to call 24/7, whether it's an emergency or not. After hours it goes to an answering service that will page the on-call MW. The longest I've waited for an initial callback is probably 2 hours, even on a Saturday. It's definitely worth bringing up with them. Maybe they'll say there is a more effective way to reach your doctor/nurse.

I agree with @LoneStar21416 that there's probably not much they can do over the phone, but they can help make a determination about whether/how soon you need to be seen. Also it's pretty tough to get a same day appointment at my office, and the days I've needed to do that the MW had to let the front desk know she told me to come in and that they should find a way to squeeze me in. As a FTM I'd also prefer to talk to my MW before going to the hospital, eg, when their office is closed... Unless of course it was a true emergency. 
  • I haven't really had to wait for a return call with this doctor's office yet, I've always gotten someone on the phone when I called but with my last OB the longest I ever waited for a return call was 20 minutes, even after hours and especially when I was calling with labor symptoms. @canavara I'd definitely bring it up and see if there was a more direct way to reach your doctor and if not then let them know I was not okay with how long it was taking to have my calls returned. 
  • @canavara Can you call L&D for those pains and see what they think instead of waiting for your doctor? My L&D says to start calling them for questions about being in labor any time after about 26 weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @canavara that is horrible!! I can't imagine when you mid-late third-tri... All sorts of weird/worrysome things happen then. My widwife gave me her persnoal number, so she has always responded to texts right away and picked up the phone as soon as I call.

Is it too late? Unless you really like your OB, that would be a deal breaker for me... but that's just my personal comfort.

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm having my baby in England on the national health service, which as it's free is not as "fancy" as what I'd get back in the US. But even here I can speak to a midwife right away (or within an hour) 7 days a week and get a walk in appointment if needed. Given that US care usually sounds slightly more attentative than what I can get, you def should expect more @canavara
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah I wouldn't expect them to DX a situation over the phone or anything but generally an OB's nurse should be a point person for determining "yeah you need to come in ASAP" and "this can wait until your next appt because it sounds like [some random non-serious issue]." The problem is if it falls into that former category and they don't call back immediately, it could be too late. And calling and pressing the menu option to schedule an appointment also seems like a wash half the time because they'll try to direct you to the nurse's line to speak with the nurse first (which of course leads to voicemail). 

And my OB has never given me any information about calling L&D for these things. She's a great OB but her office staff is The Worst and I'm definitely going to talk to her about these things at my appointment and explain that it's kind of crazy to not have a clear understanding of where to call in situations like these or what to do.

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack!
  • @canavara my old OB usually called back within an hour if not sooner and I had a direct line for her specific nurse. My new OB works in a family practice where there are a ton of residents and other physicians and they have an awful message system. But I'm really lucky and my OB is one of the faculty for the residency program DH is in and she gave me her cell number so I can text her any time. 

@emy730 if water and lying down with your feet up or Tylenol don't help after an hour I would call. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Frustrating, @canavara. My office is a lot like @ceclarlinetlo mentioned - so many providers and they're usually all over the place so maybe I have just grown accustomed to that. It's discouraging they haven't given you info on L&D. That's the one thing they have done for me -- after 20 weeks, they tell you to call that number for certain things, and provide you with a list of symptoms and concerns that meet that criteria. I honestly don't even think my clinic wants to hear from me if I'm experiencing any of the symptoms they list and I'm post 20 weeks since they'll probably just tell me to report to L&D or call them. I don't know if that's laziness on their part, or just the recognition that you're better served at L&D at that point. Definitely get confirmation on who to call. Sorry you're dealing with that.
  • My fiancee pointed out to me, and I hadn't even really considered this, but my OB doesn't even have a designated exclusive nurse. She shares her nurse with literally 6 other people, hence the slow turnaround in calls because she deals with so many patients :|
  • Is anyone else's stomach feeling super stretched already? It's getting painful across my belly button and a little above that. It doesn't seem to really bother me until the evening. I guess from eating and being fully hydrated. I can't imagine how much worse it's going to get!
  • @LoneStar21416 yep! It comes and goes with me too! 
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• How annoying @canavara! Hopefully talking to your OB at your next appointment will help. This can't be the first time patients have been frustrated by the care they're getting.
    i have Kaiser insurance and their policy is similar to what @Carly79 said, after 25ish weeks just call L&D directly. I actually forgot about this a couple of weeks ago and called the OBGYN nurse line, they listened to my concerns but didn't really give any advice, just patched me straight to L&D. 
    Keep us posted on how the talk with your OB goes!
  • I finally heard back from a nurse this morning... literally 24 hours later... after we escalated the situation to L&D at my hospital, who took it very seriously, but they were like, "It sounds like growing pains. Your baby is running out of room and things are going to get uncomfortable and crampy around this time. If they progress into contractions, please come in." 

And then yeah, my doula texts me this morning and is like, "You said you were going to the bathroom a lot. After you go, are you seeing any fluid in your panties?" and I'm like, "Yeah, but I can't tell if it's urine or not..." So... got super serious about that, and the nurse called me back and I told her what my doula had asked and they were like, "Um, yes, you need to go into triage at the hospital. I'm calling them to let you know you'll be coming in."

So yeah, we're eating breakfast and we're about to head into L&D to make sure I'm not leaking amniotic fluid. I don't think it is and I'm sure the L&D people I spoke with last night are correct, especially since my back pain kind of let up, but better safe than sorry.
  • @canavara Keep us posted. FX it's just a better safe than sorry moment and L&D was right.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @canavara hope everything is okay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh please keep us posted @canavara! FX'd that everything is just fine!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @canavara good luck! Hope everything turns out ok!
  • @canavara I am so glad you got a call back and I hope everything turns out ok!!
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @canavara Good luck! I'll be thinking of you today! Please update us when you have the time.
  • I hope everything turns out well @canavara keep us posted! Thinking of you and your LO
  • Keep us posted @canavara!! Thinking about you today
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Fingers crossed @canavara! Let us know! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Good luck @canavara! Hope everything is ok.
  • @canavara - thinking of you! I just did the exact same trip on Saturday. FX your waters are intact and your cervix hasn't changed! 
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• moosette113moosette113 member
    edited October 2016
    FX for you @canavara that everything is OK!!!
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @nolemama24 have you tried Miralax? Costco even has  la store-brand for less that works wonders, and my OB says it's safe to use.  I have IBS-C and the pregnancy makes it even worse, so this is a life saver
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19