January 2017 Moms

Advice on Breech Baby

Dear All, This is my second baby, and my doctor told me he is in the breech position (head up, legs pointing down) at the last appointment (27 weeks).  The lab technician doing the ultrasound was surprised, because my first baby was head-down, but this second baby is breech; she said this was rare (and hopefully he will turn at 36 weeks), but my friend had the exact same situation and had to have a c-section.  My doctor said that if he is still breech at 32 weeks, we should schedule a procedure at the hospital to turn him at 36 weeks; if he can stay down, it will be a vaginal birth, and if not, it will be a C-section.  She recommended doing yoga (downward dog position), and I've read online that lying down with pillows underneath is a good idea.  Does anyone else have a breech baby, and what (if anything) have you decided?

Re: Advice on Breech Baby

• it's still way to early to worry if your baby is breech. My daughter was breech and they said not to worry until closer to 36 weeks. I didn't bother doing anything and had a C-section anyway because they said it was less risky than trying to turn her but they said she could even turn the morning of my C-section and they would cancel it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • There's still a lot of time to turn. My son turned at 37 weeks. I know there are some web sites that give information on moves you can do to help the process. I'm sure some of the other ladies know those. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Way to early to worry about it. My doctor doesn't even check until about 36 weeks because it doesn't matter and can change the next day. However, check out spinningbabies.com. There are a lot of great exercises on there that can help with optimal positioning. Also, if you see a chiropractor, perhaps check to see if they certified in the Webster technique which can assist in optimal positioning prior to delivery. A lot of the spinning babies things are great for everyone to do just to help relieve some pain and help baby get in to position. Pelvic rocks on your hands and knees can help too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Like PPs said, it's far too early to worry about the position of the baby. My DD was breach at 36 weeks and had moved into the head down position by my next appointment. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My baby is breech @26 weeks, but I think the ultrasound tech was wrong to tell you it's rare. There is still a lot of room and time for baby to get head down. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It seems weird they would tell you it's rare for a second baby to be breech. I feel like baby can be in any position at any given time whether it's a first baby or 2,3, etc. 

My first was breech or transverse for the majority of the pregnancy. He eventually turned on his own sometime between 32 and 36 weeks. Still plenty of time for your LO to turn! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Carly79 said:
    Way to early to worry about it. My doctor doesn't even check until about 36 weeks because it doesn't matter and can change the next day. However, check out spinningbabies.com. There are a lot of great exercises on there that can help with optimal positioning. Also, if you see a chiropractor, perhaps check to see if they certified in the Webster technique which can assist in optimal positioning prior to delivery. A lot of the spinning babies things are great for everyone to do just to help relieve some pain and help baby get in to position. Pelvic rocks on your hands and knees can help too.
    I second this. 

Also, at my prenatal yoga class the other day a woman asked about yoga poses to turn a breach baby (because she suspected hers is). The instructor said there are poses that might help, but they should not been done before like 35 weeks and only then if the baby is still definitely breech. 
  • Yeah, I'm in the "what does birth order have to do with position in uteruo" boat too. That seems weird, especially this early in pregnancy. But at this stage, like all the PP said, baby can still flip and would likely still go back to breech a time or two again before settling into head down even if you did get them to flip now.  There probably isn't any harm in trying things to get baby head down, but I wouldn't count on them as a sure-fire way to get baby to turn head down and stay head down for another 13 weeks.
  • DD1 was breech the majority of my pregnancy. They thought she had turned around 30 weeks but at 36 weeks she was definitely frank breech (butt down feet up by her head). I did everything they suggested- chiropractor, handstands in the pool, yoga poses, positioning, you name it, starting around 30 weeks. When I was 37 weeks we scheduled a c-section for 39 weeks. The morning of my c-section they attempted an external cephalic version which was unsuccessful and we went straight to the OR. Turns out the cord was wrapped around baby's body and neck and there was no way she was going to turn no matter what I did! All that being said- it is still VERY early and baby can still turn but I felt better about trying all the "at home" things I could.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• edited October 2016
    Found out my baby is breech with feet above the head last week at 28 weeks. Went home and looked up what I could on should this be a concern or not. What I read said that babies can be breeched and it's not usually something your OB/MW is worried about until after 32 weeks. A lot of babies turn between 30-32 weeks. I'm going to see my MW tomorrow and plan to ask if she has any recommendations. If she gives me any advice on flipping baby, I'll let you know :) I would just breath for now and wait for your OB to be concerned.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• I'm with everyone else, it's way too early to worry. I am 26 weeks and this baby is breeched as well. Although my widwife didn't make a big deal about it, she didn't even use the term 'breech'. She just showed me where his little head and feet were.

Also, I will say, midwives aren't as concerned about babies being breeched. At the birthing center I am going to they deliver breeched babies all the time, my mother-in-law delivered breeched. The midwife overseeing all of this has been delivering for like 10-years and she said she's never actually had an issue delivering a breeched baby. It's just another form of natural birthing.

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is my second and she's breech right now but I'm not worried at all yet. My first was breech and turned with plenty of time. 
  • Like PP said, it's way to early to worry.  From what various doctors have told me, they don't even worry about position until 36 weeks.  I had an US last Wednesday (28 weeks) where both were head down.  The following day I had another US and one was head down and the other was breech.  My OB said it was NBD and that he's seen them flip in the time it takes to do an US at this stage.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You could look into acupuncture. There are a few points they can use if baby is in a breech position. The points won't do anything if baby is in a position where it can't move for a reason (like a cord issue) but apparently if baby is just hanging out in an inconvenient spot, stimulating those points can help. 
  • I saw my OB on Monday and she said it sounded like my LO was breech by the pains I was expressing in my rib cage.  I'm already scheduled for a growth scan at 32 weeks, she said at that appointment we will be looking for things like baby's weight, breech or head down, and they are looking for thyroid nodules (which is why the U/S was scheduled to begin with).  She said if she's still breech then we will start to explore natural ways to help her turn and schedule another U/S around 36 weeks to check her positioning again.  By the way my doctor was describing everything, it seems like it's just going to be uncomfortable for me if she doesn't turn and start descending before 32 weeks, but it's not a concern.  Plus I can still feel some strong kicks which means she has plenty of room in there to turn around.  I wouldn't worry until December about the baby's positioning.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited October 2016
    I don't know the positioning of this nugget, though at 20 weeks she was breech (I'm guessing that she is still turning) . I do know that at 30 weeks, my first daughter was head down and I was told that it was unlikely for her to turn breech. 
  • This one is currently breech but the Dr said that can change multiple times and they'll do another US closer to 36 weeks. I'm not worried if she's not. I do notice the kicks a lot more this time around than with my first. This one is way more active in general. I have to rush to the restroom (like knock people out of the way rush lol) quite often! 
  • My MW said they don't worry until 36 weeks & then we'd seek natural methods of turning baby.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.