January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 10/17

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 10/17

• Did any of you take a small fan with you to the hospital? I had a brief 3 hour stint in L&D last weekend and I couldn't believe how quickly I got hot laying in that bed. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• I didn't but that's a good idea. However, I remember being SO cold during labor and delivery with DD. Could have been the epidural though. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @ceclarlinetlo I didn't, but that's not a bad idea at all. I might do that this time around!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • For the S+TMs who work outside of the home, did you have your older children continue going to daycare while you were on leave?

DD is a creature of habit and she LOVES school (what she calls daycare), so I'm thinking we will leave her in while I'm off. But maybe I'm not thinking through it all the way? What did you do and what are you planning this time around?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DS will stay in school (he's in K4). I'll have enough to do taking care of this little one let alone with my "helper". Plus, he loves his class and needs that normalcy, and this will be real life. Also, I can bond with baby while he's away then give him my attention when he gets home. I also signed him up for karate--something that is HIS that he enjoys, but I can take him and sit inside with the baby. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • @ceclarlinetlo our hospital has in room thermostats so I always just adjusted it to what I needed but I could see a little hand held fan being useful during actual labor.  Although, with my last pregnancy the epidural caused me to shiver and have the shakes that lasted until even after delivery. I am a big fan of bringing the bare minimum to the hospital with me.

@emy730 not me personally because my kids aren't in daycare, but I know a lot of moms who leave their kids in daycare while they are on leave.  It helps keep them on their regular schedule as well as giving you time for naps if needed!
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• @ceclarlinetlo I just remember freezing in my l&d room! I had warned my DH that I'd probably be stripped naked by the end of it because I get so hot when I don't feel well (even headaches shoot my body temp up) that I assumed labor would be the same way and I'd want to cool off but I was so cold. I'd maybe bring one but leave it in the car as long as possible so it doesn't become something you have to worry about moving with you from L&D to recovery if you end up not wanting it. 

@emy730 we don't daycare either cause I'm a SAHM- but I think I'd leave my older kids in as usual while I was home for the sake of maintaining as many normal routines for them as possible. 
  • S+TM - did you get a new crib mattress for #2?  DD has used it for three years (as crib and toddler bed), and we'll be using the same crib for the baby.  Wondering what others have done regarding re-using the mattress.

@emy730 , I think we'll plan to have DD continue to go to grandma's house on a regular basis (she cares for her during the day).  It'll be more fun for her and easier on me.
    Jan. 2017 Sept. Siggy Challenge - Pumpkin Spice Gone TOO Far!

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 2/3/16 --> MC 2/13/16

• DS will stay in school (he's in K4). I'll have enough to do taking care of this little one let alone with my "helper". Plus, he loves his class and needs that normalcy, and this will be real life. Also, I can bond with baby while he's away then give him my attention when he gets home. I also signed him up for karate--something that is HIS that he enjoys, but I can take him and sit inside with the baby. 
    Yes, all if this! DD will absolutely be staying in daycare while I'm on leave. Not messing with her routine. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @emy730 My daughter will keep going while I'm on leave.  She goes 8:45 - 2:45 and sometimes stays for a while in aftercare depending on my schedule while I WAH.  She loves her school and her routine works well for her, plus it's important to me to have time alone with the baby to bond and rest and establish nursing.  I'm also hoping it'll prevent some jealousy if she isn't home 24/7 seeing me dote on the baby.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Did any of you take a small fan with you to the hospital? I had a brief 3 hour stint in L&D last weekend and I couldn't believe how quickly I got hot laying in that bed. 
    I don't remember having any temperature complaints during DD's birth, and she was born in June... but, if you've already been to L&D and anticipate that a fan could be of use to you, go for it! I think it's important to feel as comfortable and relaxed as you possibly can during labor (no need to make things even more difficult than they need to be!) and if you think a fan would help with that, add it to your list of things to bring.  Worst case scenario - you won't use it.  No big deal. 
  • @curlysue22 we used the same mattress.  We ended up with 2 because we had one in the toddler bed and one in the crib so we needed 2 but when we had baby 3 and 4 they used the same mattresses.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• @emy730 We plan on having our son maintain his usual daycare schedule.  That way his life is slightly less disrupted and the new baby gets some one-on-one time with us.  Plus, I think it will be easier for me to adjust to a newborn without having to deal with a bored preschooler 24/7 as well. 

@curlysue22  We plan on using the mattress we already have.  We bought it new for our son so we know it's history (ie no bedbugs or mysterious stains) and I don't think they really wear out that fast.  He was still less than 40 lbs when we switched him to a big-boy bed so it's not like the mattress has seen tons of wear and tear. 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You ladies are the bomb.com! Seriously, thank you for validating my thinking! :smile:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I learned in my birth class last week that you are having a contraction when your belly gets really tight (the nurse giving the class said that if you can't press your finger into your skin on your belly then it's a contraction and the contraction is over once you can push your finger into your skin). Is that the same for all of you? Not that I don't trust what she said, but I never realized that's what it was and I feel like I have them often. Also, how long are yours? I haven't sat there and timed them yet or anything but I feel like it lasts at least thirty seconds? 

This is more of a curiosity question than a concern.... I never knew that's what was happening when my belly got tight! 
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• @ceclarlinetlo I'm packing one of those handheld battery operated fans. I'm hot ALL the time now and want to have it just in case.
  • S+TM - did you get a new crib mattress for #2?  DD has used it for three years (as crib and toddler bed), and we'll be using the same crib for the baby.  Wondering what others have done regarding re-using the mattress.

@emy730 , I think we'll plan to have DD continue to go to grandma's house on a regular basis (she cares for her during the day).  It'll be more fun for her and easier on me.
    I would definitely get a new mattress at this point. Just because it looses some of its firmness after a few years especially with a toddler sleeping on it. That's just my opinion though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • thanks @LastMango!! I tend to notice it most when I get up after I have been sitting for a long period of time. I can do everything as I normally would while it is happening. So crazy! I didn't know that's what it was :)

• @LastMango said it perfect. As long as they aren't time able and getting close together Braxton hicks are no big deal. If anything worries you call your OB/MW/DR and they'll assess your particular situation and let you know what to do. :)

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @nolemama24 mine kind of vary, if I notice I'm having a lot I break out the timer so I have a few threads of timed ones. I get them every few days, sometimes just one or two and other days up to 15 over the day. They'll jump around in length, one will be 10 seconds and the next will last a minute. I remember last time that as I got closer to the end the more they acted like the real deal- they'd come regularly and last the same duration of time. 
  • The fan thing reminds me...anyone have a list of everything to bring with to the hospital? I should really start writing these down.

Another thing:  what do we (the mamas) need to have for ourselves once we get home from the hospital? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We plan to leave our son in daycare while I'm on maternity leave. We may keep him home one day a week after the first few weeks when I'll be settled into more of a routine and hopefully healed up from my c-section. I'll have both boys over the summer during my summer break from school. 
  • @kelseyh62   wine. That should bout do ya. :) 

I had all this stuff ready for coming home with DS and a vag birth. Didn't need them, but I had some witch hazel and bought some Depends, people said it was so much easier to put ice packs and such in those things than anything else. I found out from other moms in my area that our hospital will give you about everything else, sitz baths, etc. when you're discharged, so see what other moms scored from your hospital before you buy a lot yourself.

I also bought a postpartum girdle and after having the Csection, I'm SO glad I did! One, I think it did really help with putting everything back in place/reducing sag. Two, it made me feel better about myself, it sucked stuff up. Three, after a csection, I felt so much more secure with this on--like I could do stuff without freaking out about my belly. I wore that bad boy out and will be getting another one for sure! https://www.bellefit.com/

BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Re: fans - I know at the hospital where I work we actually have fans available that clip onto the bed rail. They aren't exactly hand held but they can be pointed in different directions. We don't keep them stocked on the floor but if someone asks for one we can get it. Might be worth asking about during a hospital tour. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• emy730 said:
    For the S+TMs who work outside of the home, did you have your older children continue going to daycare while you were on leave?

DD is a creature of habit and she LOVES school (what she calls daycare), so I'm thinking we will leave her in while I'm off. But maybe I'm not thinking through it all the way? What did you do and what are you planning this time around?
    We're planning to keep him in daycare. He loves it and I'm thinking that his little world is changing enough that he needs something stable. It'll keep him in routine and it'll give me time to bond with the baby. When he gets home I'm going to make sure he gets mommy time and the baby can have some Daddy time. Then we can switch so he gets Daddy time too. 
  • nolemama24nolemama24 member
    edited October 2016
    @AlabamaRedhead yesssss to the girdle! My family is Venezuelan and that was the first thing my mom & aunt said to buy (thought they were crazy but realized what they were saying made sense). They said girdles do wonders to suck everything in and move things back into place! When I found out I was pregnant I went to this little Colombian boutique in my town and bought myself a girdle. Colombians are known for their jeans and girdles! 

EDIT to add: Have any of you shopped on pink blush maternity yet? I saw some good deals on zulily and was eyeing this one dress for the babyshower....... Do you like the fit of their clothing?

• I SAH but DS goes to school two half days a week and we will definitely be keeping his routine as normal as possible when baby comes so he will continue to go until he's on summer break! 

I remember having a whole bag of stuff packed when DS was born and I barely used any of it. I used my toothbrush and hair brush, phone charger and nursing bra I brought. I didn't change into real clothes until we were discharged. The mesh underwear they gave me at the hospital were the greatest thing, i wish I would've taken more. Also loved the witch hazel wipes! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • kelseyh62 said:
    The fan thing reminds me...anyone have a list of everything to bring with to the hospital? I should really start writing these down.

Another thing:  what do we (the mamas) need to have for ourselves once we get home from the hospital? 
    I plan on having tucks pads, overnight pads (the big ones that feel like a diaper), and dermoplast.  The hospital gave me tucks and some other stuff to take home (like the bottles used for rinsing after you pee), but I needed more than what I had from them.  It's nice not to have to go out and get them but rather have them on hand.

For bringing to the hospital, I feel like I over packed last time and I didn't even bring that much stuff:  
    -something to wear around the hospital and when you go home - think yoga/comfy pants since you're not going to want anything tight
    -chargers/batteries for any electronics you're bringing - camera, phone, tablet, etc.  We'll probably make a note so we can grab them the day of since we don't have a bunch of extras
    -change of clothes for baby, possibly a couple options in different sizes if you're worried about fit
    -change of clothes for your SO and anyone else who plans on being there for the long haul
    -toiletries
    -nursing pillow, if you plan on using one and if you plan on breastfeeding
    -some people also bring their breast pump so the LCs can show the proper way to use them (obviously this only works if your hospital has LCs)
    -baby blankets if you have pets at home that you want to acquaint with baby's smell while still in the hospital (we did this for the cat)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What was the panty situation once you got home? I used to send moms home with a bunch of extra mesh panties, but hospitals are getting stingy with what they'll send you home with. I'm not sure I'll get the same treatment I gave to my patients.  

Did you buy mesh panties for home? I don't think I'll be able to fit the overnight pad and an icepack in any of the panties I currently own. Did you even need to ice at home? I don't know what happens after discharge.
  • kelseyh62 said:
    The fan thing reminds me...anyone have a list of everything to bring with to the hospital? I should really start writing these down.

I haven't read through yet but lots of pads, Epsom salt, ibuprofin, stool softeners. Snag as many of the disposable underwear as you can as well as the pads that they have at the hospital. Tucks pads are so great to have on hand. Lanolin for your nipples is important as well. 

I think that was pretty much it in terms of buying things but I also like to have a lot of old crummy towels that I am planning to throw away on hand.  I like to put them in places that I nurse because it causes your uterus to contract and I have had a few leaks here or there. 
  • aishmc said:
    What was the panty situation once you got home? I used to send moms home with a bunch of extra mesh panties, but hospitals are getting stingy with what they'll send you home with. I'm not sure I'll get the same treatment I gave to my patients.  

Did you buy mesh panties for home? I don't think I'll be able to fit the overnight pad and an icepack in any of the panties I currently own. Did you even need to ice at home? I don't know what happens after discharge.
    Size up cotton Hanes worked great for me! I made padsicles so they didn't take up as much room in them :)

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • I plan to take a little fan with me just because I can't sleep without one! 
    I went from hot to cold, hot to cold and then freezing after I had my son. I would recommend bringing one. 
  • @aishmc I took as many as I could find and I even washed the ones I brought home. They held up great and when they were used up, I bought Hanes boy shorts in a size bigger.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @AshleySparkle720 @emy730 thanks ladies! I want to make sure I have things like that organized beforehand. My husband is great and will try to run out and get me whatever I need if we don't have it at home after the delivery, but between different cuts and sizing, her might get stressed buying panties.

I really like the padsicle idea!
  • padisicles were the greatest thing ever!!! Nothing gave me relief like they did @aishmc

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Great info all around.  As always, you ladies are the best!  Thanks! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't ask a whole lot of questions over here, but I always love reading the advice so thanks to everyone for being so awesome!

We had that great babywearing thread a while back, but I didn't see this specifically addressed. How bundled up should baby be in the wrap during winter? I don't want the little one to overheat (or get into a bad position because there are too many puffy layers), but everyone here keeps telling me I need to get a full snowsuit for the newborn. I guess it probably depends somewhat on what jacket I'm wearing and how much I can zip that up over LO.
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • ^ Oh man I'm curious about that too. I just bought a 3-in-1 convertible maternity coat that has an insert for babywearing and don't even understand how you'd be able to babywear with if LO's wearing more than a couple of layers.