September 2015 Moms
Options

Negative 20 degree weather

Anyone living somewhere where the average temp is below zero in the winter?? We are moving to Alaska and I'm not sure what measures I need to take to keep LO warm. I'm sure we'll probably be staying inside most of the time when it's that cold.. but every once in a while we're going to have to make trips outside. 

Re: Negative 20 degree weather

• Options
    tvistetviste member
    edited October 2016
    Layers!! My daughter owns multiple heavy sweaters/winter jackets/snowsuits, toques/mitts/etc. 
  • Options
    I live in MN and we spend a lot of our winter below zero. The key things to remember are windproof/waterproof and things you can layer. So a heavy winter coat, snow pants, and winter boots, hats with ear flaps, and mittens. I personally like Columbia brand stuff. It's pricier, but it lasts for years. Under Armour is wonderful if you are going to be spending time outside. I also keep a sleeping bag in the car just in case it breaks down and a fleece blanket (Eddie Bauer makes one that is sleeping bag material on the outside and fleece on the inside) so you can cover lo's head when you carry him out to the car and cover him in the car seat to keep his legs warm. I'm personally not a big fan of scarfs, but I have a neoprene face mask that I got from REI that I wear when I go out to the barn or shovel. I also recommend keeping a shovel in your trunk because you never know when you might have to dig yourself out. If you are headed somewhere where you'll spend time indoors (and you'll go stir crazy if you don't go places), wear boots and bring shoes for yourself and lo. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I keep blankets in the car for when it's really nasty, we hit negative 20 for two weeks last year and it sucked, I second the wind and waterproof stuff but really the best thing you can do is limit exposure at those temps...
  • Options
    Me. It gets bitter cold here. I have lots of blankets and fleece outfits for travelling. I have stocked up on hats and mitts too. If you don't have one already a remote car starter will be an amazing help. Just stock up on long sleeved outfits, warm pants, hats and mitts, and fleece. 
  • Options
    I'm in Eastern Canada, it gets very cold with heavy snowfall. I do fleece suits over cotton layers to go out to the car. For LO last year I wore her in a wrap inside my coat with just her head out (but still facing me, protecting from wind). This year I'll just put some thicker cream on her face in mornings (shea butter) and a hat with a cowl neck to protect her skin as much as possible. We just use a wagon that converts to a sled for walks, so they are open to the elements, and I have to go out to the bus stop twice a day when I watch older kids. For playing in the snow, I like one piece snow suits, but for snow play in milder temps (spring) I put a one piece rain suit (muddy buddy) over warm layers and it keeps them totally dry-even if sitting in puddles!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    akdewaldakdewald member
    edited October 2016
    Just picked up this amazing fleece suit from old navy. It is super soft and super warm. Plus its not bulky so it will be great for carseat.  I plan on using it then a water resistant jacket over it for to and from the car.  It was originally 29.00 but with 40 percent off and then extra 10 percent military discount on top of the sale price I couldnt pass it up. Its amazing quality for the price.   The 18 to 24 month that i purchased does not have the footies though which i like because she will have her little fur boots on and extra growing room.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!! Time to buy lots of layers