January 2017 Moms

Advice on 1-Hour Diabetes Test?

Re: Advice on 1-Hour Diabetes Test?

• @HJMorgan my midwives haven't brought it up yet (I have my 24 weeks appt next week) but I was with them my last pregnancy and they did it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @HJMorgan yup. I see midwives and I did it yesterday 
  • Loading the player...
  • I did my test this morning. I had the fruit punch from a warm cabinet behind the receptionist. It definitely didn't taste as bad as I was expecting (kind of like Hawaiian Punch) but I still felt pretty nauseous afterwards. I'm glad my mom went with me, because we talked during the hour and it distracted me from my turning stomach. I also ate a few almonds and a cheese stick before I left which helped. Hopefully I passed and I won't have to do the three hour test. 
  • I took this Monday and it wasn't that bad. I did my test in the late afternoon because that's what worked with my schedule. I usually eat pretty healthy so I just stuck with what I normally eat and stopped eating anything with sugar and hour before the test because I did want to get a false positive.

They gave me the orange flavor, which to me tasted like someone put to much mix in while making Kool aid. 

Mostly it was fine but boring. I started getting really tired towards the end but that could have just been because it was Monday after work. 

I just found out yesterday that I passed and I am super happy I don't have to do the 3 hour because that sounds horrible.
  • I definitely recommend having something with protein to eat after they do your draw. I had my regular appt after mine and I was so thankful I had some peanuts & water in my purse. I felt so terrible but after getting something to counteract all that sugar I felt much better! 
  • So my test is next week and I was planning to eat scrambled eggs for breakfast with a piece of toast with PB on it...this is the first pregnancy where I haven't been working, and my food has been terrible. I'm usually much better at paying attention to my protein intake etc lol. It's been a lot harder feeding the kiddos cereal and PB&J for lunch but then trying to find something better for myself! 

Anyway, gah, I'm kinda nervous this time around, hopefully the eggs and pb toast will be fine and all will be well.
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • @canavara I wish I'd known that! My baby was super crazy active the day before (I think she was flipping back to breech from head-down, little stink) then super lazy the day of my test and the day after and I was like "ummm, hello?"  I didn't call in cause I was still getting "normal" kick-count numbers but it just seemed so much less after a day of crazy movement. I bet it was cause of my test!
  • @canavara My babe was the exact same way. I feel so gross the next day and he was moving less, I was stressing hardcore. The next day he was back to his normal self. 

I didn't take my test until 3PM per doctor request. For breakfast I had two boiled eggs and Greek yogurt. At lunch I had a quinoa salad with grilled chicken. I didn't really get snacks in since I was running around all day. 
  • Hey all, our OB scheduled us for the glucose test next week, said we don't have to fast just don't eat anything sugary the day of the test.  But he did say if wifey fails its the 3hr test within a few days after.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • KarliQ88KarliQ88 member
    edited October 2016
    I had mine today and failed!!!! I am shocked. I'm taking failed by alot. My result was 220. I did the one hour. Absolutely shocked. I'm measuring behind actually and have only put on a total of 8lbs. I am small framed and was healthy prior to pregnancy..no diabetic family history. I'm only 28 years old...i don't think My pasta cravings have helped. I am talking to my doctor Monday but i have to wonder if the caramel apple i ate 2 hours before the test had anything to do with it?? I was at a meeting and someone brought some with homemade caramel sauce. I couldn't resist...they told me not to fast. I was never told to avoid anything. But seriously?? 220?? Whaaat the hell? 
  • @KarliQ88 ouch! I would say yes the caramel apple played a part! Maybe you could tell your OB that and request to redo the 1hr instead of having to do the 3hr?
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Do absolutely nothing different. Wake, eat a normal breakfast and go 2 hours after. I had GD in my second pregnancy and am glucose intolerant during my 3rd. It takes 2 hours for the body to process glucose, so don't eat breakfast and then go right away. Don't stress either, as stress can increase glucose numbers. 

If you have GD, no matter what you do, you will fail the test. I am a firm believer that the 1 hour test is crap. the 3 hour test or an A1C is a better measure of diabetes, so don't be discouraged if you fail the test. 

The clear drink is most likely lemon lime, which in my opinion is a lot better than the orange one. 

Good luck to you! 
  • @KarliQ88 Yeah I'd bet the caramel apple had something to do with it :) But GD doesn't work the same way as Type 2 diabetes--being overweight and having family history are definitely risk factors, but anyone can develop it, regardless of their diet, stature, or weight. I was fortunate to pass mine but when my fiancee was trying to reassure me that things would be fine as the nurse was doing my blood draw by saying, "We eat very healthy so you probably don't have it," she immediately said back, "We see people in here all the time that weigh 110 pounds, exercise, and eat healthy, and they still get it... sometimes it's just luck of the draw." FX you don't have to do the 3-hour though!
  • christac1010christac1010 member
    edited October 2016
    @JessWeck Yes to eating two hours before the 1 hour test! I tested close to the cutoff (156/140) and had to do the three hour test this morning. I mentioned I ate a piece of cheese and a handful of almonds before my 1 hour test. When she asked how long I ate before my test, I told her it was only about twenty minutes before I drank the glucose mix. She was like you do realize any food can cause a temporary, quick spike? I'm like... well obviously not. I'm hoping I passed today, but I wish more people would communicate how much time before/what exactly you should eat.

The tech also agreed with @canavara's nurse. Basically having a pity party (which I definitely did) is pointless (although it feels helpful). If you have GD, nothing will help you pass/fail. It also has to do with your body during pregnancy, which may be very different from your non-pregnant body. You can't do much to prevent it, but you can take care of yourself once you know. 
  • @canavara I wish someone had told me this prior! Very true though. My daughter kicked like crazy for 20 hours and then was quiet for a day or so.  
  • Why doesn't the doctor tell you any of this? I asked specifically was there anything special I needed to do for the 1-hour test or anything I need to know. The answer: no. If you should wait 2 hours after eating to do it to get a more accurate result, why not tell us that? 

I take ale mine on Monday, and I'm glad I read this before I go. I failed the 1-hour my last pregnancy, probably because some of the very reasons mentioned. I passed my 3-hour. 
  • My drink was clear & orange flavored. My doc actually gave me the drink at my previous appointment along with a 1 pager with instructions on what to do day of test. Including eat a light higher protein meal at least 1 hour before you drink the drink. Must drink within 5 minutes exactly an hour before blood test & can't eat or even drink water in that time frame. They even recommended having drink chilled. Hope this helps. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies. I have my 1hr test on Nov 10. Fx  that I pass. With DD1 I was borderline, with DD2 I didn't have it at all.
  • I took the test on Friday and today they called and said I have to take the 3 hour test.  I'm going to call to see what my levels were at because they didn't even tell me, the nurse just said your sugar levels were a little elevated so you need to take the fasting 3 hour test on Thursday morning. Great. Thanks. :-P

And all I had before the test were two hard boiled eggs and for dinner I had salmon but I did have a little stuffing with it so maybe the stuffing did it? Or perhaps the fruit I had the day before, which I forgot that my friend said not to have fruit the day before cause it stays in your blood for awhile. Oh well. :-(
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I just called the doctor's office and the nurse said my level was 148 and their ideal level is 129 or lower.  I voiced my annoyance on Facebook and one of my friends made a good assumption.  She thinks that this is a total insurance scam where so many people will fail the first test and pass the 2nd test with no problem.  She has a point, right? 
  • sldp123sldp123 member
    edited October 2016
    My insurance company paid $4.53 for my 1 hour GTT. I don't know how that even covered the cost of the drink plus the processing of the blood, so I highly doubt it's an insurance scam. 

(Edited to correct the amount they paid) 

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • I just found my results posted on my online account for my 1-hour glucose test. It said 105, so that's passing right? I did everything you ladies suggested in this post, and I think it really helped. Just FYI for those who haven't taken it yet. 
  • sldp123 said:
    My insurance company paid $4.53 for my 1 hour GTT. I don't know how that even covered the cost of the drink plus the processing of the blood, so I highly doubt it's an insurance scam. 

(Edited to correct the amount they paid) 
    My hospital charged about $250 for the test. My out-of-pocket was about $40. I also think it is the best way they have to screen though so everyone doesn't have to do the 3-hour test. I must say if it is so easy to throw the test off by what you eat, they might need to set some guidelines for taking it. 
  • I took my 1 hr yesterday and failed by 9 points, ugh.  I was fasting too, even though their only requirement was no food 2 hours prior to the test.  Now I have to schedule the 3 hour.  :(

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • newyearsbaby5newyearsbaby5 member
    edited October 2016
    Ugh, failed the 1 hour by 10 points. I'm hoping it has something to do with the carb-filled Break the Fast dinner I went to the night prior (alllllll of the best stuff so if that's why I failed, it was totally worth it). I think I would actually cry if I couldn't eat ice cream through the rest of my pregnancy because that is my only weekly indulgence that I don't normally have when not pregnant.

I obviously want to know and do the right thing if I have GD, but I'm not sure what I could do differently with regard to lifestyle. I am on the low-end for average pregnancy weight gain, I exercise everyday, am an extremely health conscious vegetarian, and high glycemic index carbs do not make up a substantial part of my diet. 
  • I know I would much rather take the 1 hour test if it means I have a chance of not having to take the 3 hour. I have heard of some people that say their offices are switching to everyone doing a fasting 2 hour test so there may be some changes coming.

@newyearsbaby5 Depending on how your body responds you should still be able to have ice cream the rest of your pregnancy even if you have GD. For diet changes unless you are one that loads up on carbs at every meal, I think it's more a matter of how meals are spaced out and the balance of food at all 6 meals/snacks. And, in some women with GD, diet is not sufficient at controlling it and they need to go on meds or insulin. It's just a matter of how your body reacts to the increased insulin needs during pregnancy. FX the 3 hour test goes well.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @newyearsbaby5 sorry you have to take the 3 hour, hopefully it goes well! My doctors have told me that they often get moms who are super healthy in regards to weight, exercising and eating and still develop GD during pregnancy. Just something that happens I guess. 

I go in 2 weeks for my second 1 hour test, had to do the first one at 16 weeks and I hope the results come back fine again!

good luck to everyone taking the test in the next few weeks and those who have to do the 3 hr!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Carly79 that is good to know--thank you for the details! I should probably do more research on it, but knowing that I'd hopefully be able to have my ice cream (it's really my only dairy for the day--I need my calcium, right?!?!) makes me less worried. Of course, I just want to do what is right for the baby!

@nolemomma14 thank you for these deets, too. I have heard that, as well, so I won't beat myself up over it if I get it and of course it's something I want to know about. 
  • KarliQ88KarliQ88 member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for support everyone ;-) i talked with my nurse when she called and they flat out diagnosed me with gestational diabetes. She said anything 186 or over they skip the 3 hour test and just diagnose. I was almost in tears because i was so upset at myself that there was something i did wrong. I aksed my nurse "how? I have no risk factors." heck i went into my pregnancy 28 years old,125 lbs, eating healthy (just normal diet nothing crazy), i went for hikes with my dogs everyday, no history of any type of diabetes...nothing! My nurse reassured me that there was nothing i did to cause this and it's the way my body is reacting to the hormones. 
    So in the mean time I've been sticking to low carb no added sugar diet (my sweet amazing husband got rid of anything "bad" and is doing this with me). I meet with a dietician on Thursday and we are going to try and control it through diet and excercise. I STILL hike with my dogs everyday during my third trimester so I'm proud of that. I have to be seen now every 2 weeks and after im 34 weeks along I'll be seen once/week. They already told me I'll be checking my blood sugar 4×/day and if after 4 weeks of that my blood sugars are fine we can back off to maybe twice/day. So far I'm measuring ok...I'm actually small for how far along i am and I've only gained 8 lbs. Blood pressure and everything has been fine. So far so good. Won't know what my sugars are running until i get my glucometer Thursday. 
    So yes...it majorly majorly sucks but I'm glad we know about it. My biggest thing is that my baby is ok and he is definitely my motivation to eating much healthier. 
  • @KarliQ88 Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed. There is a weekly check-in for those of us that have been diagnosed so be sure to check that out. It's crazy how GD diabetes works but it's nothing you could have prevented, your body just can't keep up with the insulin needs of baby. Sounds like you are in a good spot for getting started and great that you only have to wait until Thursday to get going. It's not as bad as it seems and you'll find you are probably asked to eat more carbs than you were eating before, it's just spread out more through out the day :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Carly79 said:
    @KarliQ88 Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed. There is a weekly check-in for those of us that have been diagnosed so be sure to check that out. It's crazy how GD diabetes works but it's nothing you could have prevented, your body just can't keep up with the insulin needs of baby. Sounds like you are in a good spot for getting started and great that you only have to wait until Thursday to get going. It's not as bad as it seems and you'll find you are probably asked to eat more carbs than you were eating before, it's just spread out more through out the day :)
    Thank you. I'll check that out! The nurse sent me some handouts to get me through until Thursday. I'm a nurse too (i work in cardiac/cardiothoracic ICU). So even though I'm a nurse this is all so overwhelming and confusing since it's so foreign to me. It really helps that i have some general background on managing diabetes. I'm just so used to managing insulin drips after surgery. Plus most of my patients don't eat alot to affect blood sugar much and if they do i just titrate their insulin drip accordingly for the carbs they ate. Put me on a continuous insulin drip and titrate for carbs and my blood sugar will be amazing! This though? Very new and foreign haha. I was actually shocked to see how much i should be eating. It's just not all at once to prevent spikes.. and needing to eat every 3 hours. But ill check out the GD thread when i see it pop up next:-)
  • @KarliQ88 Our thread is just getting started on our BMB but if you want to read through what some other people have done and how it's gone, you can lurk on the December 16 board. They have a weekly check-in too.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Carly79 said:
    @KarliQ88 Our thread is just getting started on our BMB but if you want to read through what some other people have done and how it's gone, you can lurk on the December 16 board. They have a weekly check-in too.
    Good idea! 
  • @sagoon they didn't even tell me to not eat 2 hours beforehand, they said it was fine to eat breakfast before and I had 2 hard boiled eggs about a half hour before taking the test. Not sure if that did anything, but oh well.  I've heard that many people that don't make the strict criteria of each different office (which every office is different as well), have to take the 3 hour test and most pass so fingers crossed that we will pass!
  • My doctor scheduled me for an additional Anatomy scan after seeing me last week because I'm measuring small. I went in today for that and my glucose test. As it turns out, he is actually measuring almost 2 weeks ahead at 3 pounds. I failed my glucose test at 160 and we'll have to do a two-hour fasting test on Friday. I have really been taking care of myself and not indulging in my cravings for sweets and sodas so I was surprised to get the results I got today. Everyone keeps telling me there's nothing I can do to prevent it but I can't help but feel guilty like I did something wrong.
  • @michellewfhs I'm sorry you didn't pass the first test. Don't start worrying about anything until you get done with the fasting test, that is a better test of GD than the non-fasting and a lot of women don't pass the first one and pass the second one. Also, if you are diagnosed, know that there isn't anything you did wrong, when we are pregnant our body needs more insulin (I think something like 3X the normal amount as you get closer to the end of pregnancy) and sometimes our bodies just can't keep up and need some help whether with diet or medication. FX your test goes well on Friday.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I had my test today. Orange drink was terrible and irritated my heartburn. But I passed! However I did find out that I am anemic and have to take 2 iron pills a day on top of my prenatal. This explains my severe migraines and complete exhaustion this month. 
  • Just drank my orange drink. Now sitting in office. The waiting is the horrible part. Drank the drink very quickly. Now LO is awake and active. Hopefully I pass this first one.