June 2016 Moms

Car Rides

Anyone elses' LO absolutely hate being in the car or car seat?  When DD was a month or less she seemed to like her car seat and didn't mind being in the car.  She would sleep sometimes but never really fuss unless she was hungry or wet.  The last two months though, she has HATED it.  She cries when we put her in her seat and just screams in the car.  She will settle occasionally if I continue to drive but the second I stop at a light or stop sign, she starts screaming again.  We've even had people in the back seat with her but she still hates it.  We have toys, lights, a mirror and we even bought a little vibrating owl that is supposed to sooth them (this helps a little bit).

Any suggestions?  I can't take her anywhere because she just hates it so much.  The worst part is that I have a long drive from work, to pick her up from my moms and then to drive home with her (in traffic it's at least a 35 minute drive).  Needlessly to say, screaming in the car is a daily occurrence and I'm not sure what to do about it.
TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Car Rides

• Yikes that sounds nerve racking. Our LO doesn't like the car seat and can get fussy when we stop at lights, but she falls asleep pretty quickly and then she's fine. How old is your LO? Maybe she is older than mine and just sleeping less. Our LO will be 3 months in a few days.
  • Man, I wish my son was opposite he loves the car and hates everything else... his swing, his bouncer etc...cries almost 24/7..   but sometimes he does get fussy in the car. I have the baby sleep app on my phone I usually plug my phone up to my car and play the in utero selection and turn it up where he can hear and it soothes him right to sleep.. you should definitely try thag app even doing other things like nap time 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry to say that some babies just don't like the confinement of the straps. My DS who is now 3 was the same way he would scream at every red light and never fall asleep in the car I had so much anxiety taking him places that I often just stayed home. I remember praying for green lights it didn't get better till her was about 1 hope your LO doesn't hate it that long. Sorry I know that didn't help but your not alone. 
  • We had the issue where he'd be totally fine and snoozing one minute and screaming the next.  Now of he's in his seat he wants to stay awake and will fuss as nap time approaches until he gets a pacifier and eventually falls asleep

• Damien does okay in the car seat unless he is hungry. If he is tired, he just passes right out. If he is fussing, he trnds to calm down until we hit a stoplight or traffic. He hates it when we stop.
  • Sam wasn't a huge fan of the car seat either. He would sleep pretty much as soon as we started moving, which was great, but if he woke up he was not a happy camper. Then we went on our big road trip to Vancouver BC and its like he realized the car seat isn't so bad. He still sleeps a lot in his car seat but he's also content to look out the window or play with his giraffe toy. Yesterday I drove for 25 minutes to get to Gymboree and he was awake and content the entire time. I was amazed. I don't really have any advice, but just wanted to say that it can change. 
  • Ethan does well in the car seat -- especially after traveling from San Diego to Texas and then back. However, he doesn't use the infant carrier (he's in an "all in one" car seat) so he's only in the car seat when we go in the car. We only use a mirror in the car and we also hang a blanket that has a fun design or is bright to block the sun and he likes looking at that. Usually once he's in the seat he falls asleep. I hope it gets better for you soon!
  • Mine hates it also. The only things that calm her is a paci and white noise app set to hair dryer. She usually falls asleep with that combo. If she's awake you can forget it. My first hated it too. He hated it till we turned him around and 1.

Married 6/18/2009

TTC since 10/2010-BFP 12/23/2011

Baby 2.0 BFP 10/16/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice and comments!  Sorry it took me so long to respond.  I'm praying that it will get better but it's definitely not so far.  It's been like this since she was about 5 or 6 weeks and she turned 3 months on 9/15.  I hope I don't have another 9 mo of it!  I'm afraid to leave the house :(
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!

• My daughter who in general is very laid back and always happy hates being in the car seat unless you're walking with it or the car is moving. It's just started in the last few weeks but I think it's because she's more alert now and aware of what's going on. When she gets super fussy I either turn the air on high and the radio up (sounds seem to help sooth her) or I keep saying Ssshhh over and over and that helps calm her. When nothing else works (her car seat is in the middle of the seat) I reach back and "rock" the car seat at stop lights well as much as it will allow being buckled in tightly. 
  • DS hates the car too. I sing to him about where we are going for short trips, and long trips, we'll, I avoid those. Lol
  • I'm so happy, I think we may have turned the corner with the car seat issues.  The last two days in the car she has been quiet and more alert.  She seems to watch what's going on more rather than just be mad.