January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+, Week of 10/10

Re: Ask a STM+, Week of 10/10

• Kurtni said:
    Is a BH contraction the kind of thing you would know when it happens? I have no idea if what I'm experiencing is a BH, round ligament pain or just the stretching/discomfort that comes with third tri. 
    I never knew with my first child.  I thought that the contractions were baby turning sideways, it wasn't until I was in actual labor and being monitored that I realized what they were.  One thing I have subsequently realized is that contractions can be felt by touch even if they aren't necessarily painful.  Mine never have been, just a hardening of the uterus. 
  • @Kurtni BH is one of those things that varies from person to person, and sometimes just from day to day. Sometimes mine are super obvious and semi painful and sometimes I'm just like absentmindedly rubbing my belly and notice its rock hard from having a contraction and had no idea. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Kurtni many people never notice them. I notice every one and confirm by placing my hand on my belly. Bh are defined by your uterus tightening so if you are feeling pain without that, it probably isn't a Braxton hicks. When the back gets bigger, sometimes fetal movement/positioning will feel similar, without a rock hard abdomen. 
  • I'm not a STM, but when I have BH, I just noticed my uterus harden. I feel like it slowly gets hard so I notice the change. 
  • @Kurtni it's so different for all ladies. For me I didn't even feel/notice them with DD1. To the point where I thought my real contractions were BH! This time however it's a whole new world! My uterus gets solid and slowly releases. Sometimes it's more uncomfortable than others, but they aren't supposed to be very painful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Not a second time mom, but my Braxton Hicks don't hurt either, it's just a feeling of tightness in my uterus. I can always tell they're happening and try to keep track of their duration using the Ovia app (just to make sure I don't have more than 4/hour), but it's never been painful.
  • Huh... so I wonder if when I'm thinking my belly feels really big right now & that it's stretching  (usually harder too) if it's actually BH.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks everyone who replied to my question! I will pay attention next time to tightness/hardness to figure out which is which. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know we've talked about car seats in the past so sorry if this is a repeat question in another STM thread: When did you first install the car seat? did you have it there for a few weeks before your due date? 
  • Carly79Carly79 member
    edited October 2016

I really don't remember what we did for my first. But this time, I'm planning on waiting until about 35 weeks before installing the base in our cars. We are switching DS forward facing when we install the bases because he will be behind the driver and it's going to be pushing it to keep his seat rear facing in that location. The infant seat definitely won't fit as it takes up more room. We won't keep the infant seat in the car, that will go in on our way to the hospital. That way, if god forbid something happens and we are in an accident we only have to replace a base and not the entire seat (in addition to DS's seat).

ETA: I remember, we went to a car seat safety check event that occurs monthly and that's when we put DS's seat in last time. I don't remember when it was but I think it was around 36 weeks. I know it was before I went in to labor which was at 37 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• We installed the base only about 3-4 weeks before our due date. The seat stayed in the house until we needed to bring him home from the hospital. We didn't drive around with it in the car. 
  • @marynog installed at 36 weeks. And then I was in a car accident at 37 weeks. I think I'll wait next time. 
  • We installed car seat base at 36 weeks and didn't add the bucket until we headed to the hospital. We will probably do the same this time.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• @marynog good question. I'm all about getting things off my to do list & likely would have just installed everything when we got it. Now I see good reason not to. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the answers, ladies! Totally agree with @kelseyh62 after reading your posts, I'll probably wait a few more weeks before installing!
  • Last time, I think we installed it about 37wks. This time, I'll wait, because I'll be moving DS to the other side of the car, with baby on my side. It's just easier to get them in and out. So, once I get my delivery date, we'll probably do it close to then, since DS1's carseat will probably be taken out for grandparents to haul him around while I'm in the hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • H will install the base into our cars after he's born and before we leave the hospital. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • WholesomeWholesome member
    edited October 2016
    I know we've talked about teething products so thought I should share this.

I'm don't want to be the person who uses scary stories but this is something that needs to be considered when planning your go-to with at-home remedies.  The FDA can be slow to act with product recalls or discontinuations when deaths occur due to an FDA approved product - it's been six years since the first report of an adverse reaction or death due to the below teething product.  I'm not saying no one should do medicine at all but wanted to share that we personally do medicine sparingly when possible, and maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/12/health/hylands-teething-tablets-discontinued-fda-warning/index.html?sr=fbCNN101316hylands-teething-tablets-discontinued-fda-warning0731AMStoryGalLink&linkId=29874874
    BabyName Ticker
  • Wholesome said:
    I know we've talked about teething products so thought I should share this.

I'm don't want to be the person who uses scary stories but this is something that needs to be considered when planning your go-to with at-home remedies.  The FDA can be slow to act with product recalls or discontinuations when deaths occur due to an FDA approved product - it's been six years since the first report of an adverse reaction or death due to the below teething product.  I'm not saying no one should do medicine at all but wanted to share that we personally do medicine sparingly when possible, and maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/12/health/hylands-teething-tablets-discontinued-fda-warning/index.html?sr=fbCNN101316hylands-teething-tablets-discontinued-fda-warning0731AMStoryGalLink&linkId=29874874
    Hylands teething tablets are not FDA approved.   Also, FDA has issued multiple warnings against Hyland's and other teething tablet brands in past years.  The is just the most recent of many warnings they've put out.

BabyFetus Ticker

• @Wholesome those were like sugar pills for us anyway. Nothing does anything for my rough teether other than Motrin. Constant Motrin. Otherwise she won't eat or sleep. 
  • Ditto @colleenkevin and @ThePax89 and I'll add that homeopathic remedies =/= medicine. 
  • STMs- when are you going to take out all of your baby clothes/stuff from storage? I'm getting excited about holding those tiny onesies again. 
  • @ThePax89 we just emptied our storage unit and I couldn't help but open one of the bins of baby clothes! I cried remembering how little DS was and picturing the new baby wearing the same stuff. I'm not due until end of January so I will probably wait until after thanksgiving to get everything out and wash and organize. 

Im thinking the long thanksgiving weekend will be for setting up Christmas decorations and getting the baby things ready so that it's all done before Christmas hopefully! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @nolemama24 I'm due on the 8th. My older daughter is still occupying the nursery, so I don't even know where I'd put the stuff. I just want to look at it all again and swoon haha 
  • I am actually thinking about pulling out all the clothes in storage pretty soon. My only motivation to do so is to make more room for more stuff. Ha! But, I'm pretty excited to hold the little onesies again. And, I'd like to get a count on what exactly I saved and what I'll need to go buy more of. I'm so glad we saved my DD's usable clothes. It makes it super easy this time around since we are having another girl. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Pumpkin Spice Gone to Far| Jan '17 September Siggy Challenge

• I started putting away clothes already. I also bought bins for diapers and little items, such as soap, lotion, and clippers,  to go into.
  • @ThePax89 I've had baby clothes taken out of storage for a few months. All organized by size in drawers/totes and put away in closet. Just need to wash all of it. I'm thinking of washing at the beginning of December. 
  • I already pulled stuff out and sorted it again. It's currently still in tubs on my back porch. I need to start washing and putting away because it's going to be a big job. I need to get a closet cleaned out first to put it all in. 
  • I unpacked the old baby clothing, washed it, and put it away like two months ago.  I may have jumped the gun just a little bit.  ;)

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited October 2016
    ThePax89 said:
    STMs- when are you going to take out all of your baby clothes/stuff from storage? I'm getting excited about holding those tiny onesies again. 
    I did a few weeks ago; DD was born in June so she and her sister will have birthdays at the complete opposite time of year and I wanted to see what, if anything, I could reuse in the beginning.  Thankfully there actually were a few outfits that I'll be able to use and I think I've just about finished my consignment shopping for her for the first few months - yay! None of the outfits are really popping out at me as a going home outfit so I may buy just one more but I think that, as far as clothes go, I'm just about done.  That leaves the big ticket items (crib, double stroller, and a new ring sling and nursing pillow), which I've been putting off due to price...
  • ThePax89 said:
    STMs- when are you going to take out all of your baby clothes/stuff from storage? I'm getting excited about holding those tiny onesies again. 
    We did this week! It's been so funny watching DS try to fit into his baby clothes! It's also helped him feel more connected. "This is too small for me,  baby brother can have it" Still in shock he was ever that tiny! 
  • @ThePax89 I pulled ours out a few weeks ago. DD has a January birthday as well so it'll be exactly the same seasonal clothing which is nice. They're washed, hung/folded, and ready to go!

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • sagoon said:
    I unpacked the old baby clothing, washed it, and put it away like two months ago.  I may have jumped the gun just a little bit.  ;)
    Same!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Is anyone already planning on buying a pump? I used mine so much with DD that the motor is shot. My insurance covers whatever pump I decide to buy so I just go pick one up, send them the receipt, and they send me a check. Is it too early to be doing this? Haha I didn't receive my pump until about 3 days before I went into labor.

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @AshleySparkle720 nope. Not too early. My insurance last time covered a pump at 28 weeks pregnant. I called at exactly 28 weeks and it arrived within a few days. Because the parts need to be sterilized prior to use, I sterilized everything around 36 weeks and put them in gallon bags. I wanted to be prepared in the event of a breastmilk supply issue. I ended up using the pump a few times to try and induce labor, but I didn't use it again until my daughter was one month old. 
  • @ThePax89 DH side eyed me big time when he saw me looking into ordering one so soon. I mean...I'm already 28+2 so it's not like I'm 12 weeks buying a pump haha

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @AshleySparkle720 I already have mine at 28+4.  I have so few things to do this pregnancy that I figured I might as well get a new pump and get it ready.  I changed brands from Medela to the Spectra hospital strengrh and wanted some time to play with it, sterilize everything, etc.

BabyFetus Ticker

• @karaelaine1991 I'm in the same boat with a July baby girl followed by a January baby girl but I was pleasantly surprised by how much teeny stuff I had that was winter appropriate. I guess that's one plus to a petite kiddo, she was in NB all the way to October so we had a ton! I'm kinda hoping for another petite girl so I can use the spring/summer stuff again too! 
    @thepax89 mine is sorted and in totes but I've yet to wash and put away. I still wander across the hall when I put DD down for her nap just to pull it out of the totes and swoon too. 
    @AshleySparkle720 I was dumb and waited until DD was born last time, I'm so glad I'll have it ready to go from day 1 this time so I'd say never too soon to get it! Plus then you don't run the risk of dealing with any potential insurance sanfus with a newborn! 
  • @karaelaine1991 I'm in the same boat with a July baby girl followed by a January baby girl but I was pleasantly surprised by how much teeny stuff I had that was winter appropriate. I guess that's one plus to a petite kiddo, she was in NB all the way to October so we had a ton! I'm kinda hoping for another petite girl so I can use the spring/summer stuff again too! 
    @thepax89 mine is sorted and in totes but I've yet to wash and put away. I still wander across the hall when I put DD down for her nap just to pull it out of the totes and swoon too. 
    @AshleySparkle720 I was dumb and waited until DD was born last time, I'm so glad I'll have it ready to go from day 1 this time so I'd say never too soon to get it! Plus then you don't run the risk of dealing with any potential insurance sanfus with a newborn! 
    The stuff I have is mostly cotton pjs and a few outfits that came with sweaters- not enough to make up a whole wardrobe, but more than I thought! I remember DD just living in onesies and rompers when she was first born and I totally blanked on all the other stuff.  It was definitely a pleasant surprise to learn that I actually had a decent base and didn't have to buy EVERYTHING again!
  • I feel like this has probably been asked but what brand do you all recommend for a breast pump? I was all set with getting the medela freestyle until a few people have mentioned the spectra pump instead...suggestions??
    BabyFetus Ticker