November 2016 Moms
Options

Anterior Placenta / Breech Baby

Hey Ladies! Wondering if any STM (or any FTM further along than 36 weeks) have any insight into the anterior placenta causing breech baby theories? I'm currently 34w/3d and to say that this baby is all up in my ribs is a serious understatement (I truly wondered if I broke a rib when I sneezed earlier today). I know I have a couple more weeks and she could still turn, but from everything I've read (thanks, Dr. Google) I show the signs of a breech baby (i feel more movement in the ribs/upper belly, lower belly is very soft, when they do dopplers on her its usually near or level with my belly button). I was also told from my first US that I had an anterior placenta. So obviously being crazy, I went on to look at links between anterior placentas and breech babies and sure enough I found lots of stories on it. Wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this, or is currently experiencing it? 

Re: Anterior Placenta / Breech Baby

• Options
    I definitely feel most movement in my ribs, upper abdomen too and my lower belly is more soft than my upper belly but LO is definitely head down already. All that movement I feel are feet so you may be feeling the same thing. Now, baby boy is still sunny side up so maybe your LO is already head down but is also sunny side up? When is your next ultrasound?
  • Options
    @MrsMaryK2016 okay good to know (and relief). My doctor's office doesn't do another US unless they "need" to (for example, if they think she's not head first at the 36 week appt - oct 24- they will do a US to verify). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ANZ116 Then I would for sure ask at your 36 week appointment if they can tell if LO is head down yet. There are ways to palpate the belly to tell her position if they're not willing to do another ultrasound. At some point they'll have to do something to find out her position because most doctors won't let you try to deliver vaginally if LO is breech.
  • Options
    I have an anterior placenta too.  I had an ultra sound last week and little man is head down.  what I feel on one side is his little booty and the other side are his footsies.  I wouldn't stress unless your doctor gives you a reason to
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My baby is breech. His feet are in the right side of my ribs and he likes to headbutt me near the left side ribs. Heart beat is always on my left side a little up from my belly button. I'm booked for a section in 2 weeks. 
    TWICE now my OB thought he was head down but feeling and when they placed the US in office he was actually feeling his bum. He was so surprised the second time since he was so sure it was his head. So if you really think he's breech insist on ultrasound despite what the doctor is saying. 
    Laat week my OB had another person in for him since he's on vacation and she told me he was positioned properly and refused US (they so them in office) i told her she was wrong (She couldn't even find the heart beat because it wasn't where she thought r was, it was exactly where it always is) and I'll have my OB double check Friday with US. 
  • Options
    I have had an anterior placenta with both pregnancies and both babies have not been breech
  • Options
    If most movement is higher, baby is likely head down. The only movements I get low are his head grinding against my pelvis and a few faint flutters from his hands. The big movements are higher from his butt, knees and feet. Also have an anterior placenta. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Options
    If most movement is higher, baby is likely head down. The only movements I get low are his head grinding against my pelvis and a few faint flutters from his hands. The big movements are higher from his butt, knees and feet. Also have an anterior placenta. 
    Ditto to everything she said. I'm 36+ and also have an anterior placenta. Baby is head down.
  • Options
    Everything you described sounds like me (in the ribs, soft lower etc) and I've been told baby is head down multiple times. dr said it's baby butt moving around I keep feeling. Also have anterior placenta here. They haven't done an ultrasound to look at position but I have no reason to believe he isn't head down like they think 
  • Options
    I'm 37 weeks, anterior placenta and baby is definitely head down. I've been able to feel a foot pushing up into my ribs several times. The OB said baby's head is WAY down there so hopefully baby can't flip around at this point. 
  • Options
    Anterior placenta gives more risk to the baby being sunny side up, not breech. Lay on your left side-my baby class said that should help the baby move. If the heartbeat is in the lower quadrants of your core the baby is head down. If you feel a lot of movement in the upper left quadrant that is babys feet and means it's most likely sunny side up. A lot of movement in the upper right quadrant means baby is exactly where it should be. 
  • Options
    I have an anterior placenta and my baby was breech up until 32/33 weeks. I felt a lot of kicks toward my cervix and internally and a hard round ball up in my ribs. I wasn't sure if the round ball was butt or head but it was confirmed as the head. I used the spinning babies techniques and went to a chiropractor. Baby flipped around 33 weeks and now I feel all the movement up high (sometimes on the upper middle of my belly and sometimes on the upper right near my ribs, depending on which way her feet are facing). They usually get the heart beat even with my belly button and slightly to the right.

To me it sounds like your baby is head down. But like others said the doc should be able to feel around to determine position. That is what mine did and when she wasn't positive she brought in the rolling cart with u/s and just took a quick look to confirm.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    Leash14a said:
    Anterior placenta gives more risk to the baby being sunny side up, not breech. Lay on your left side-my baby class said that should help the baby move. If the heartbeat is in the lower quadrants of your core the baby is head down. If you feel a lot of movement in the upper left quadrant that is babys feet and means it's most likely sunny side up. A lot of movement in the upper right quadrant means baby is exactly where it should be. 
    This may be a dumb question but are the quadrants from the point of view of someone looking at me or from my perspective? Curious because LO has been sunny side up (confirmed on u/s) but all the kicks I feel now are on my upper right side under my ribs. So maybe he's finally flipped over!
  • Options
    Leash14aLeash14a member
    edited October 2016
    @MrsMaryK2016 from your perspective

Edit it to add: this is what the nurses told me. If you don't have any more ultrasounds and you labor in your back then most likely the baby is still sunny side up. 
  • Options
    Also, I have an anterior placenta too so I have never felt a lot of movement except around the sides because my baby doesn't seem to care to push through the extra padding.  I know that my baby is head down though based on an ultrasound and yet the feeling of the movement has never changed. So I wouldn't worry to much about your baby being breech just based on where you feel movements. 
  • Options
    @Leash14a I have had an anterior placenta both times. Back labor was terrible with my first. I'm really hoping baby won't be sunny side up this time, but the way you're describing this makes me think he/she currently is. 
  • Options
    STM, this time with an anterior placenta. I feel most movement up near my ribs on one side.

Midwife thought babe might be breech so i had an ultrasound at 34 weeks. Baby is head down! 

Judging by ultrasound babe is head down and feet are curving to one side and the movement I feel most is baby kicks to my ribs.