Pregnant after IF

Randoms - Week of October 10th

Have any thoughts, questions, feelings, fears, etc.? Spill them here!

This is a good place to ask questions to a broader audience than the weekly check-ins, so ladies in other trimesters with experience may chime in and help you out!

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
TTC since April 2013
Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
IVF round 1: January 2016
ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
EDD: January 27, 2017
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Randoms - Week of October 10th

• Hi everyone! 

I'm 10w3d today, and I'm feeling nervous because my nausea has gotten dramatically better over the past 3 days or so. I also stopped PIO around the same time, so it just has me irrationally worried about the baby. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm also in the middle of a 4-week wait for my next appointment, so I'm just feeling anxious. Anyone else have nausea get better all of a sudden?
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    1 medicated TI cycle & 4 clomid IUIs = all BFNs
    June 2013 IVF #1 = 6 frosties + BFP!
    DS1 born 2/14

TTC #2 since December 2014
    May 2015 unassisted BFP ended in m/c at 7wks
    April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    August 2016 FET #3 = BFP!
    DS2 born 4/17
  • @BlueEyedDreamer Yes, this happened with my nausea as well. I was feeling ick for quite a few weeks, and then suddenly I was like give me all the food because I no longer feeling like barfing. I now only very occasionally get it, and pretty much only if I try to lay down right after eating. I know it is a scary time, but I hope any stories of reassurance you get help you!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Loading the player...
  • @BlueEyedDreamer Mine comes and goes. I had VERY strong nausea weeks 5 to 8, but then it disappeared. I'm 11 weeks now. Occasionally it still flares up (like this morning I had an episode), but days will go by where I feel like myself. I've read that once the placenta starts taking over (around week 9 and onward) the horomones in the body calm down because the placenta starts to do the horomone production for the babe. I know it is hard not to freak because I still do sometimes, but nausea coming and going is totally normal.
    DX PCOS + mild male factor
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Current Treatment: Metformin, Provera, Letrozole, Trigger, IUI
    Past Treatment: Clomid + Metformin x 3 BFN
    Letrozole 5 mg + Trigger shot + IUI = BFP!
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • Hi @BlueEyedDreamer!
    I have/had hyperemesis gravidarum and was feeling sick all the time (in and out of hospital) 
    A day after 12 weeks it was suddenly gone! I was back at the hospital to get a check before I would go on a week holiday and they told me not to worry, just enjoy it. 
    I know now why they said that as it only lasted a week :smile:
    So I reckon you should try to enjoy it too. Around 10 to 12 weeks a lot of women start to feel better due to the placenta taking over.
    But if you can't stop worrying or feel something is off, call your doctor. They are there to calm your nerves!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Has anyone been turned away from getting the flu shot bc of pregnancy? We had a nurse giving the shot at work and she said there's a special one only a doctor can give. I checked the cdc website and it sounds like she was just making that up. Anyone have any issues or where did you get yours?
  • @ale9687 How strange! I asked my OB about getting the flu shot and she just gave it to me right then and there. It may have been something different, but she didn't mention that.

---Trigger warning---

TTC since April 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does anyone else have round ligament pain? I am 7 weeks 2 days with twins, and I keep having sharp pains on the right and left side. I am guessing it is round ligament pain, as it is sharp when I twist, move or roll over in bed and just dull achy after that. Does anyone have suggestions on what helps this? 

**Trigger warning**

Age: 25 DH: 28 Together since 2011, Married May 2014 and TTC since April 2015

MFI (3% morphology) 

3/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

4/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

6/16 IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/16 - BFP 1st Beta -110 
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762
    • TWINS!!!! EDD 5/28/2017

• @ale9687 So I emailed my OB yesterday about flu shot stuff, and she said I could get it from them or my local pharmacy IF it was the preservative free version. Maybe the girl at your work had the kind with preservatives? In just guessing though.
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • @BlueEyedDreamer I'm remember my nausea getting suddenly better too. It was almost like a switch went off. Other symptoms were like that for me. I know it's hard waiting so long between appointments and not to freak out, but try not to stress yourself. Your next appointment will be here before you know it! 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• I don't know what to do about sleeping anymore. The past 2 weeks have been rough most days. I wake up with pain in my hips and feeling like my whole body hurts. I try to sleep mainly on my left side and I sleep with a snoogle pillow, but lately it's just getting harder and more uncomfortable. I also toss and turn so much from the discomfort. I feel bad complaining, but I just want to sleep well through the night. Or maybe I should just accept that those days are gone for a long while. :disappointed:

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @ale6987 My OB nurse gave one to me last time I was there. They keep the special preservative, egg and something else free one in the fridges at the nurses station on my gyno floor. They probably also have it at the flu clinic on the other side of my hospital, but I don't have to go there (obviously). I did get it once when I went to urgent care too, so it shouldn't be a problem to get one.

@Tulips29 I'm sorry you're having so much trouble sleeping! I don't think sleeping well through the night is a possibility while pregnant, but I'm used to bad sleep as I've never slept well. I hope you can find something to help!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• @Tulips29 I have bad hip days too! When I wedged a pillow under my belly it helped to rock me backward so my hips don't collapse on themselves. I also have to adjust how tucked up my legs are. Sometimes I sleep curled fairly tightly, other times my legs are almost straight. There's an exercise that has been helping me too: lay on the ground with your knees bent and feet hip-width apart. Put a ball or something firm between your knees and squeeze for a few seconds, repeat a few times. It helps strengthen and stretch your hips. Hope you can get some rest!!

---Trigger warning---

TTC since April 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Tulips29 - I'm right there with you on sleep. I would be fine if it was just getting up 3 times a night. But I feel like there are days where my whole body hurts. I'm still looking into chiropractors b/c I think that may be the way to go. 
    Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ale9687 I got my flu shot at my ob visit as well. You can't get the nasal one because it is modified live vaccine, but as the other ladies mentioned there are some that have less preservatives for injection
     ps if you are like me and didn't routinely get the shot before my arm was tender for 3 days, make sure to get in your non dominant arm!
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • Thanks ladies for the info on the shot. I have an ob apt tomorrow and will see if they have it. I only tried getting it at work bc they wouldn't bill me for it, for some reason I always have an issue with my insurance and get billed for the shot. 

@tulips29 I find wedging a pillow halfway behind my back and leaning backwards more comfortable than leaning forward. If I'm right on my hip I feel bruised the next morning but slightly tilted seems to help. 
  • I have @kelrauh, but as I'm 35 + weeks it's a little 'easier' to avoid as I actually can support my belly.
    Not sure how big yours is at 7 + weeks with twins?
    Ive been told to not just let the belly hang, but to try to support it with using my (useless)belly muscles.
    I have to avoid sudden movements, so move slowly especially when tossing around in bed to try to get comfi. 
    Ive been told early in pregnancy it's not yet round ligament pain, yet it will feel the same, so it's just as uncomfortable.
    Excersise the core muscle or prenatal yoga might help you. (If of course you are well enough to train!)

**********************************************************************************************************************************

• @ale9687 just had my flu shot done at Walgreens yesterday and there is a special one for pregnant women so make sure you get the one that is for pregnancy. It caught me by surprise because no one mentioned it before
  • @AandDM2014 thank you! 
    @dragonfaerie thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that exercise to see if it helps me. I also change my legs during the nignt and find myself stretching out more because my legs get restless also. 
    @Griffin5413 oh yes, the constant getting up too. I went from 2-3 times a night to once and now it's at least 4-6 times. And each time I get up I groan because I feel like my body just got a beating. Not fun! 
    @ale9687 I might try an extra pillow behind my back. I have the snoogle wrapped around my back but maybe an extra pillow will be good so there's more support there. Thanks for the tip! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• cato99cato99 member
    edited October 2016
    I have a small vent for the randoms thread (I mentioned part of this on another thread, sorry!): last week I graduated from my RE and have my first regular OB appt tomorrow. As part of the first prenatal visit, I had a phone consultation with an RN late last week. She was totally clueless about IVF and I had to explain the whole process for her, and she still kept asking non applicable questions like when my LMP was to determine dating (as opposed to ER or transfer), and saying things like WOW THAT'S FASCINATING I WONDER WHAT THE ULTRASOUND WILL SHOW! 

Then today I get a message from her with the basic pregnancy packet, and in the personal message part she wrote "Congratulations! You are so lucky that it didn't take months or even years to get pregnant." Um, my four years of Infertility Tears and Wailing take some issue there?

I know this is totally just hormonal sensitivity, and that she was just working from a form in the intake conversation and is not required to know the ins and outs of IVF (though a little odd for an OBGYN nurse?), and that everyone makes mistakes and this personal message likely got mixed up with someone else's--but it was still disappointing. After months of focused, thoughtful care at my RE's, the intake conversation made me feel like a freak all over again, and the erroneous "you're so lucky NOT LIKE THOSE OTHER PEOPLE WHO TAKE FOREVER" message made me a little blue. 

Rant over! This is the only place where I figure people would have a sense of where I'm coming from :)
  • @cato99 ugh!!!!!! I'm so sorry that happened to you. What a horrible standard message to send to people. Can you see a different nurse?
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• Oh boy, that would have gotten me to pieces too @cato99.
    It really shows she has no clue whatsoever of what it all involved or she would have made sure a message like that wouldn't come to you.
    I think I would write to them kindly, but still firmly, they way that this has made you feel. As to avoid they will say something insensitive again as they probably really have no clue.

• @cato99 I'm so sorry you got that message! I really can't believe they send that to anyone. Even for people who don't go to a Re it can take a year to get pregnant. I think that letter is just insensitive to send in general. Hopefully you can educate this office a little bit on how to be sensitive. 
  • Oh you guys! I just saw a baby at the school I'm interning at! She was in her car seat, but I got to babble with her for a few minutes. My heart is so full!! I can't wait to hold my previous miracle!!
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • @cato99 - what an insensitive thing for her to say. It never ceases to amaze me at what comes out of peoples' mouths. I would definitely mention this to the OB and ask for a different nurse. During the next several months, you want to feel comfortable with the care you are receiving rather than constantly worrying about their insensitivity. Sorry you had to deal with that!
    Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • So happy ladies my wound vac came off today and I can go back to work on Friday!!!! @cato99 that nurse was very insensitive to any women's feelings I would mention something to the practice and have them remind their staff of the difficulties many woman face today and that they should be mindful how they talk to every woman. We should not feel any different because we conceived our babies through ivf. Maybe they should be educated as well about ivf. Reading your story brought a tear to my eye. Good luck and stay strong 
  • @cato99 You absolutely are not being too sensitive, her comments were completely not okay. Definitely mention it to someone. While you don't expect every person at an OB to know all the ins and outs of IVF, going through that whole process with someone who should be sensitive and instead is making random comments, is just painful. Hugs for you and I hope from now on you have better experiences.

@ultratomato Yay! So glad you are finally mended!

---Trigger warning---

TTC since April 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the reassurance about subsiding nausea, everyone. I am feeling much worse yesterday and today, so I think everyone was right when they said to enjoy the break while I could!

@kelrauh Round ligament pain, low on the sides of my abdomen, is something I've experienced early on in every one of my pregnancies (even my c/p). I guess some people get it earlier than others. During my first pregnancy, I thought there was something wrong with my ovaries from IVF stims, but my OB assured me it was just round ligament pain. I usually get it when I cough deeply, sit up quickly, or turn funny. It subsides after a couple of minutes, though. I think it's just one of those things that we stay aware of and live through - I'm not sure there is anything you can do about it but try to avoid the movements that most frequently cause you pain! 
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    1 medicated TI cycle & 4 clomid IUIs = all BFNs
    June 2013 IVF #1 = 6 frosties + BFP!
    DS1 born 2/14

TTC #2 since December 2014
    May 2015 unassisted BFP ended in m/c at 7wks
    April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    August 2016 FET #3 = BFP!
    DS2 born 4/17
  • @cato99 you are completely justified to feel this way. I can't believe they would even send something like that out to anyone! I would bring this up with a doctor or a head nurse, but that's not ok. Granted, she is not expected to be a walking IVF encyclopedia, but she should still not say/do certain things. I hope you can see a different nurse next time. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @ultratomato that's great! glad you're back to normal and returning to work!

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @cato99 I have felt that there is an incredible lack of knowledge at my Ob office as well, they don't seem familiar with the overall IVF process or terminology. Like others have mentioned I think you should mention this the Dr., even though all of us here can very clearly see what's wrong with that letter and her comments they apparently don't see it. Hopefully they will make changes and you can spare another woman the painful moment you went through. Sending hugs your way! 

@ultratomato So happy to hear the news!! 
    37 y.o 
    TTC since October 2014
    DX: Unexplained fertility 
    3 Failed IUI's 2015
    1st IVF cycle March 2016 , planned ICSI, PGS, FET
    ER 3/31/16 30 retrieved, 26 fertilized normally
    Sent 8 embryos for PGS: 5 normal (3 AA, 1BA, 1BC)
    FET 5/11/16 (1 embryo)
    Beta 5/23/16 BFN  :(
    2nd FET 6/12/16 (1 5AA embryo)
    ++++TW++++
    Beta 6/22/16 : BFP!!!  169 
    Beta #2 6/24/16: 412
    DD born 3/2/17
  • Lol @dragonfaerie I have the same annoyance . My family has so many November birthdays and they are all making bets that the baby will come on their birthdays . It's making me anxious and I don't even know why ! 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • @dragonfaerie When I told my cousin we'd have a likely due date of sometime in early March, she was like "my birthday is on the 10th, wouldn't that be cool if you had them that day". SMH. Like you, I do not control when my babies will be born.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @dragonfaerie that is so true people always say different dates depending on their birthday ugh. So I was at bjs today and bought these for the girls 
  • The same thing happened with my wedding too "We're getting married May 25th." "Oh, you should have waited until the 26th, that's OUR anniversary!" Ah well, people are weird...
    @ultratomato Those are cute!

---Trigger warning---

TTC since April 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @dragonfaerie hahaha! I've gotten sooo many of those comments too. Especially since both mine and DH's birthdays are in January also, I get comments like "wouldn't it be fun if he's born on one of your birthdays, then you can have one giant birthday party!" I have one coworker who always compares others' due dates to something that happened in her life on that day. She finds it so fascinating. One girl was due last week and she made sure to tell EVERYONE that it was her due date with her son 30 years ago. Like, really? No one cares, sorry lol. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @Tulips29 What a weird thing for your coworker to do, I guess it's a way to keep the attention on her, eh? When I told my sister when I was due, I could almost hear her eyes roll over the phone and then she said "You actually could kind of choose when you got pregnant, why didn't you wait?" because 80% of our immediate family is in February or March. I just kind of sigh and roll my eyes though because she always has to poo on happiness a bit, even if she's only joking. 

---Trigger warning---

TTC since April 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh that comment of your sister is what people told me when I start trying...like are you sure, you'll get a Xmas baby...well any baby would have been fine.
    And I couldn't really predict when it would happen now could I?

Here they have mixed feelings about the dates. My EDD is 11.11 which is nice to remember. Some want and some don't want her to be born on 11.9 as that's when my grandpa passed away 21 years ago. Some hope it happens the 20th as that was my grandmas bday (and also the day the egg got fertilised) while my stepdad is going for the 17th as we have something with number 17.
    But mostly all are agreeing now that she has to stay put until I have my house into place :)

• Every time people make weird comments, I just take a mental note and remind myself to never be that person. I guess people think it's no biggie to say weird crap. Like they are just making small talk. When in reality they are being weirdos. @dragonfaerie dont mind your sister. Your baby will be a blessing whenever he decides to make his appearance. 

Speaking of people doing random weird things, how do you ladies feel about unsolicited belly touching from others? I'm totally fine with family and close friends doing it, but people at work started doing it randomly and frequently. I know they mean well, but it irks me anyway. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @Tulips29 I haven't had any belly touching other than one aunt a few weeks ago who knows our whole struggle, but I think I'll be okay with it, but not from strangers. They can admire from afar. But family and friends, sure!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31